Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Kellyco Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 12-27-2016, 06:07 AM
Supporter

Default Tesoro Compadre

Does no one like the Tesoro Compadre? It is never mentioned for being a great starter machine ? It's $160, lifetime warranty, ever so simple, one control knob, distinguishes targets very well, especially coins and good targets. It's not the deepest runner but you will find a ton of stuff in the first 5" of dirt anyways. I've moved on towards "better machines" but will always keep the Compadre that I started out on.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:43 AM
Supporter

OH boy! Here we go! The 'Church of the Compadre' congregation will be along shortly!...
Mud

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:10 AM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Here is a little thread about it...quite a few people seem to be into it and this thread started a religion.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=87892

Also look closer at all threads talking about starter/beginner detectors...in just about every one at least one person pops up suggesting a Compadre.
Also threads about jewelry hunting, tot lot hunting, fence line hunting and being successful in hard hit iron filled crop fields when pickings get slim.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:58 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by bibelot View post
Does no one like the Tesoro Compadre? It is never mentioned for being a great starter machine ? It's $160, lifetime warranty, ever so simple, one control knob, distinguishes targets very well, especially coins and good targets. It's not the deepest runner but you will find a ton of stuff in the first 5" of dirt anyways. I've moved on towards "better machines" but will always keep the Compadre that I started out on.
Very solid starter machine and machine for the seasoned hunter. Ill grab the Compadre from time to time and dig those trashy spots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
use code A1500, Makro ,Quest,

865-679-3935

Old 12-27-2016, 08:05 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
OH boy! Here we go! The 'Church of the Compadre' congregation will be along shortly!...
Mud
Is that mud they're slinging ?or praise they're singing ?I 'm preaching to the choir,sorry for the post then.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:22 AM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Originally Posted by bibelot View post
Is that mud they're slinging ?or praise they're singing ?I 'm preaching to the choir,sorry for the post then.
Speaking about preaching to the choir...can you sing?
Slingshot can't carry a tune in a bucket and we have been trying to replace him for years since he throws off every hymn...badly.
Tryouts at our next meeting.

Last edited by DIGGER27; 12-27-2016 at 07:59 PM.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:58 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by DIGGER27 View post
Slingshot can't carry a tune in a bucket and we have trying to replace him for years since he throws off every hymn...badly.
He just has sensitive hearing-can't take a little kabong! And all I said that may be sacrilegious was I wanted a yellow Compadre.
Think about it- most finds are in the 3-4" range of where most hobbyists search. Rings fall in the iron, foil, nickel, tab, square tab region- and guess what region the Compadre gives the most depth? And try getting a coin next to a metal pole with any other detector with a 6-8" coil. And how many have an audio that, with practice, can give an estimate of size, composition, and depth of a target?
Hey, do you just enjoy getting me started?

Old 12-27-2016, 11:10 AM
Elite Member

In the right hands the Tesoro Compadre is deadly. The Compadre should never be under estimated because of its low price, small size and simplicity. I heard that Tesoro sprinkles fairy dust on the electronics during assembly to get it to do things that other detectors can't. That may be just a rumor though.

beephead

Old 12-27-2016, 12:20 PM
Supporter

I really like my Compadres and never hesitate to recommend them.

2 Compadres : 2017 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $171.52 ($611.22), Silver coins: 0 (4), Wheats: 5 (28), Gold: 3 (16), .925 19 (47), Rings: 33 (130), Oldest Coin: 1940 CAN cent, 1940 Jefferson, 1940d Wheat

Old 12-27-2016, 04:10 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by DIGGER27 View post
Slingshot can't carry a tune in a bucket and we have trying to replace him for years since he throws off every hymn...badly.