Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-23-2016, 08:36 AM
rivvers's Avatar
rivvers rivvers is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Abita Springs, LA.
Posts: 395
Default need some advice on a new detector

Looking on getting another detector, 700.00 to 1200.00, whats the top 2 detectors in that range?

thanks
rivvers

__________________
Minelab Safari^^Garrett PP^^ BH Quick Draw II^^Lesche Digger^^and a whole lot of time

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 12-23-2016, 09:07 AM
Big Treble's Avatar
Big Treble Big Treble is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW WI
Posts: 2,951
Default

Well at the top end of the scale, and after you check pricing with the sponsors, the Etrac would just slip into that category.

Couple questions for us to really help you better:

What detetectors have you used in the past?
What type of hunting do you do or wish to do?
Do you need any accessories to fall into the 1200 cap?

__________________
E-Trac, Spectra V3i, ATPro----Most days I'm not sure if I'm a Metal Detectorist, or a Scrap Metal Relocation Engineer.
Big Treble Outdoors Treasure Adventures -Missing big silver & anything remotely valuable since 2010.

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 12-23-2016, 09:21 AM
woodbutcher's Avatar
woodbutcher woodbutcher is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indiana county, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,173
Default

Originally Posted by Big Treble View post
Well at the top end of the scale, and after you check pricing with the sponsors, the Etrac would just slip into that category.

Couple questions for us to really help you better:

What detetectors have you used in the past?
What type of hunting do you do or wish to do?
Do you need any accessories to fall into the 1200 cap?
I agree with big treble,depends on what type of hunting,what your looking for,and accessories.
Minelab FBs like the Etrac are great at coins if that's what your after.

If your more of a anywhere hunter,like going from the woods to a park tot lot looking for coins and jewelry,then to be honest the at pro is your best option in my opinion.

Open fields type of coin and jewelry hunting I'd opt for the f75 or deus .If swapping coils might be your thing then go with the f75,great deal on them right now,that deal ends in about 5 days I think.I run the f75ltd2 and the deus,imo I don't see the deus finding more than the f75ltd2...Deus is lighter,f75 more coil options and way cheaper.

All machines have a purpose and a specific area they excell.The Etrac is probably the best for deep coins,not the best for gold jewelry.F75 or dues is probably the best for coin,jewelry and relics in wide open spaces.At pro,just my opinion but it's just plain good for everything everywhere,up to 7 inches.Possibly deeper with the right coil and condition.
Good luck
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #4  
Old 12-23-2016, 09:34 AM
rivvers's Avatar
rivvers rivvers is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Abita Springs, LA.
Posts: 395
Default

I have a Minelab safari now, dont need anything else just detector,. I love the Safari, remember it being a little slow on the recovery, my Godchild has been using it, dont want to take it back, he is 13 and loving it.,
I mostly CW relic hunt being in Louisiana, rivers(not under water), woods, farms and old plantations. been out of the hobbie for a couple years but ready to jump back in.

it looks like the Etrac would be the way to go?, wasnt sure if there were any new detectors out there,

thanks
rivvers

__________________
Minelab Safari^^Garrett PP^^ BH Quick Draw II^^Lesche Digger^^and a whole lot of time


Last edited by rivvers; 12-23-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 12-23-2016, 10:18 AM
woodbutcher's Avatar
woodbutcher woodbutcher is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indiana county, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,173
Default

Originally Posted by rivvers View post
I have a Minelab safari now, dont need anything else just detector,. I love the Safari, remember it being a little slow on the recovery, my Godchild has been using it, dont want to take it back, he is 13 and loving it.,
I mostly CW relic hunt being in Louisiana, rivers(not under water), woods, farms and old plantations. been out of the hobbie for a couple years but ready to jump back in.

it looks like the Etrac would be the way to go?, wasnt sure if there were any new detectors out there,

thanks
rivvers
Sorry again,posts are printing twice

Last edited by woodbutcher; 12-23-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 12-23-2016, 10:18 AM
woodbutcher's Avatar
woodbutcher woodbutcher is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indiana county, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,173
Default

Originally Posted by rivvers View post
I have a Minelab safari now, dont need anything else just detector,. I love the Safari, remember it being a little slow on the recovery, my Godchild has been using it, dont want to take it back, he is 13 and loving it.,
I mostly CW relic hunt being in Louisiana, rivers(not under water), woods, farms and old plantations. been out of the hobbie for a couple years but ready to jump back in.

it looks like the Etrac would be the way to go?, wasnt sure if there were any new detectors out there,

thanks
rivvers
I would go f75 hands down for relics,why spend all that money on a Etrac and pay for the best Id when you don't need it.And the f75 is way better for relics than the Etrac,not even close.
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 12-23-2016, 11:44 AM
rivvers's Avatar
rivvers rivvers is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Abita Springs, LA.
Posts: 395
Default

Originally Posted by woodbutcher View post
I would go f75 hands down for relics,why spend all that money on a Etrac and pay for the best Id when you don't need it.And the f75 is way better for relics than the Etrac,not even close.

what kind of depth does the f75 have? soft soil here in louisiana,, things sink deep

thanks
rivvers

__________________
Minelab Safari^^Garrett PP^^ BH Quick Draw II^^Lesche Digger^^and a whole lot of time

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 12-23-2016, 12:06 PM
choppadude's Avatar
choppadude choppadude is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Twin Tiers N.Y.
Posts: 3,876
Default

For relic hunting you will not beat the XP Deus. In your price range you would have to go used but they have a 5 year transferable warranty. I have put mine through the ringer out in the woods, fields, mountains, they may not look it but they are a tough machine and the performance is outstanding..

__________________
XP Deus WS5, XP Deus WS4, CTX 3030, AKA Sorex Pro, Teknetics T2 Classic, Nokta Impact, E Trac, Minelab GP3500, Garrett AT Max

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 12-23-2016, 12:25 PM
rivvers's Avatar
rivvers rivvers is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Abita Springs, LA.
Posts: 395
Default

Originally Posted by choppadude View post
For relic hunting you will not beat the XP Deus. In your price range you would have to go used but they have a 5 year transferable warranty. I have put mine through the ringer out in the woods, fields, mountains, they may not look it but they are a tough machine and the performance is outstanding..
it runs 800.00 new, that is in my range,.I can see my question may have a lot of different answers., but thats good, gives me options...

thanks
rivvers

__________________
Minelab Safari^^Garrett PP^^ BH Quick Draw II^^Lesche Digger^^and a whole lot of time

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 12-23-2016, 12:28 PM
woodbutcher's Avatar
woodbutcher woodbutcher is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indiana county, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,173
Default

Originally Posted by rivvers View post
what kind of depth does the f75 have? soft soil here in louisiana,, things sink deep

thanks
rivvers
sorry,post went twice
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 12-23-2016, 12:30 PM
woodbutcher's Avatar
woodbutcher woodbutcher is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indiana county, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,173
Default

Originally Posted by rivvers View post
what kind of depth does the f75 have? soft soil here in louisiana,, things sink deep

thanks
rivvers
On button sized items you'll get 10 inches ez ,in boost you'll get 12 or better on 3 ringers.
The deus has to be set up site specific for deep targets,and then you'll never know if your setup right.F75 is just a beast out of the box,at a 3rd of the price.

You want the deepest machine on the market right now,bar none,,buy a signum 7272,you won't miss a thing in turbo.Ive had one and in my Pennsylvania soil no machine could match it. River team six has them ,and a new demo for sale in the classifieds right now..
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 12-23-2016, 01:43 PM
Rattlehead's Avatar
Rattlehead Rattlehead is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cave Spring, GA USA
Posts: 2,352
Default

Originally Posted by choppadude View post
For relic hunting you will not beat the XP Deus.
I agree ^^

Originally Posted by rivvers View post
it runs 800.00 new, that is in my range,.I can see my question may have a lot of different answers., but thats good, gives me options...

thanks
rivvers
Thats for the base unit (no remote). However, the Deus with remote and wired headphones should still be within your price range. Call around and get some quotes over the phone from sponsors.

__________________
MINELAB CTX3030 | XP DĒUS | GARRETT ATPRO | PRO-POINTER AT | MI-6

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 12-23-2016, 02:29 PM
rob.ream258's Avatar
rob.ream258 rob.ream258 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Panama City Florida
Posts: 1,161
Default

Originally Posted by rivvers View post
Looking on getting another detector, 700.00 to 1200.00, whats the top 2 detectors in that range?

thanks
rivvers
My .02 worth....
The F75 is quite versatile....tons of features....12-14 inch depth... be prepared to dig deep.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #14  
Old 12-24-2016, 09:42 AM
rivvers's Avatar
rivvers rivvers is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Abita Springs, LA.
Posts: 395
Default

Originally Posted by rob.ream258 View post
My .02 worth....
The F75 is quite versatile....tons of features....12-14 inch depth... be prepared to dig deep.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
You would chose the F75 over signum 7272? after reading up on that machine and the Dues, they sound interesting with the Multiple Frequency, Is it really not much of an advantage?

thanks for all the input
Rivvers

__________________
Minelab Safari^^Garrett PP^^ BH Quick Draw II^^Lesche Digger^^and a whole lot of time

Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 12-24-2016, 10:16 AM
rob.ream258's Avatar
rob.ream258 rob.ream258 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Panama City Florida
Posts: 1,161
Default

Originally Posted by rivvers View post
You would chose the F75 over signum 7272? after reading up on that machine and the Dues, they sound interesting with the Multiple Frequency, Is it really not much of an advantage?

thanks for all the input
Rivvers
Riv...
Don't know anything about the Signum and never used a Deus but there are a ton of followers that rave about the machine. Seems to be a quality MD.
As for the F75....it's complex and has a ton of modes and settings in each mode. Learning it is a challenge and mastering it takes a ton of work. The manual lacks a ton of needed info. I purchased it because it goes deep... real deep. Draw back for me is the Florida dirt is sandy/salty and often can't crank the machine up. The MD goes deep even when it's not cranked and I dug a quarter at around 14 inches. Draw back for the machine is not allot of guys use them so the brand name isn't thrown out very much.
Have you thought about the 3030? Water proof and a big step up from the ATPro....

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 12-26-2016, 08:42 PM
calabash digger's Avatar
calabash digger calabash digger is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: calabash N.C
Posts: 1,175
Default

Deus hands down for so many reasons, the statement above about it being site specific and you can never know if its setup correct, that would be a statement that comes from a person who doesnt know much about the deus. Go watch relic 1864 doing a recovery test with a makro and a f75 .the deus is a deep detector and it has great recovery speed which you can adjust when you ask a question like that most of the time from what ive seen the answer depends on whatever they use. btw if you want the BEST relic machine on the market buy a deus. Ive had a few machines it tops them all for relics. you can find a full deus setup in your price range.

__________________
1781 half reale,1740 king george,1851 large cent ,1860 indian head.1853 trime,1743 king george,1939 half,N.C sunburst,1869 sheild nickel,cannonball,confederate block I,cannon ball may God bless you

Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 12-27-2016, 01:15 PM
ghound's Avatar
ghound ghound is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 485
Default

If i had good ground I'd have the Signum, its deep, maybe the deepest, it dosen't do as well in mineralised soil as some other detectors though.

Originally Posted by woodbutcher View post
On button sized items you'll get 10 inches ez ,in boost you'll get 12 or better on 3 ringers.
The deus has to be set up site specific for deep targets,and then you'll never know if your setup right.F75 is just a beast out of the box,at a 3rd of the price.

You want the deepest machine on the market right now,bar none,,buy a signum 7272,you won't miss a thing in turbo.Ive had one and in my Pennsylvania soil no machine could match it. River team six has them ,and a new demo for sale in the classifieds right now..
Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 12-27-2016, 03:58 PM
bibelot's Avatar
bibelot bibelot is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Avoca,NY
Posts: 1,237
Default

Originally Posted by Rattlehead View post
I agree ^^


Thats for the base unit (no remote). However, the Deus with remote and wired headphones should still be within your price range. Call around and get some quotes over the phone from sponsors.
WTH ? Thank you bringing that to our attention.I figured $800 and we were in like Flynn..

__________________
Aka Signum MFT, Aka Sorex Pro, Aka Berkut 5, XP Deus, Deus, Teknetics T2 Classic, Tesoro Silver Sabre II, Mars MD pointer

Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 12-27-2016, 10:16 PM
beamwalker beamwalker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 45
Default

MX sport is a good choice in my opinion. Tough built, has a backlight, I think 7 different modes and about five or six different coil options plus waterproof to ten feet

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


  #20  
Old 12-28-2016, 11:02 AM
aaronc aaronc is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 29
Default

This thread has a lot of info related to depth in it,...so if you guys were gonna rank top 2-3 md's for depth on coins what would they be ??? Say from the CTX 3030 price range or less.
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.