Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 12-15-2016, 12:51 PM
Supporter

Default 3D Printed Detector Accessories

Hi All,

Just got back from a work trip to the Middle East, and a bunch of new toys that we had to play with were 3D printers. My mind was blown at how much you could do with them, and the amount of materials you could print with, IE wood, nylon, flexible PLA, PETG, carbon fiber, brass, various metals, etc.

First thing I did when I got back was head to MicroCenter and pick one up, and have 3 more getting delivered after Christmas. Goofed off a bit and printed some stuff, and started designing some new stuff, like a pinpoint cover with a prying end, Deus handle that would take normal shafts, a sun visor for the CTX 3030, 3030 wall hanger with integrated WM10 and headphone holder, mounts of all kinds, different arm cuff designs, etc.

What is one thing you've always wanted but there wasn't anything available, or what was available was cost prohibitive? Help me come up with ideas and with measurements for me to throw in CAD/Fusion360, and I'll return the favor with sending free printed stuff your way. Any and all ideas welcome
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2016, 01:50 PM
Elite Member

Thats pretty neat! Here's a suggestion for ya: An improved arm cuff with a wider stand for the XP Deus. The OEM stand is so narrow that its pretty much worthless.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:55 PM
Elite Member

Looks like your going to have a lot of fun

MD:CTX3030 XTerra 705 2017:96.90/2016:(133.24)clad|3(6).925|7(26)wheat|0(1)buffs|0 (6)V's|1(8)silver|oldest coin:1889 Indian

Old 12-15-2016, 02:10 PM
Elite Member

Those things are just so cool. If I ever got ahold of one of them my wife would leave me since all I would do is metal detect and play with that all day.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:40 PM

6 months ago i was this close to buy 3d printer, than joind FB group and noticed they have many problems even (better) modified ones... not to talk that 3/4 of objects posted were toys and theres a reason for that. Very disapointed.
Anyway casting tehniques, PVC and metal will still rule the world for many years... my 5 cents

Old 12-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Rattlehead View post
Thats pretty neat! Here's a suggestion for ya: An improved arm cuff with a wider stand for the XP Deus. The OEM stand is so narrow that its pretty much worthless.
Hahahaha, you just brought back a memory I had suppressed, of me cursing out my Deus every time it flopped over. Would you mind (or anyone with a Deus and a decent phone camera) mind taking some quick pics all around, and quick measurement of the cuff and the shaft radius that plugs into the cuff? This one I'll get done and on the cooker tonight.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:55 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Karletto View post
6 months ago i was this close to buy 3d printer, than joind FB group and noticed they have many problems even (better) modified ones... not to talk that 3/4 of objects posted were toys and theres a reason for that. Very disapointed.
Anyway casting tehniques, PVC and metal will still rule the world for many years... my 5 cents
I guess it all depends on use, scale, and convenience. I didn't have much experience at all with them until recently, and we were printing gun parts on a $700 Prusa i3 Original that were holding up over thousands of rounds, in addition to machinery parts that weren't available. For small scale design and limited runs I think it can't be beat, and you can't go from idea, to design, to initial prototype anywhere close time-wise with casting/PVC/metal, whereas those three would come into play IMO with something to produce at scale. The problems you mention are heavily attributed to people buying cheap Chinese RepRap clones with cheap parts, and heavily modified to get them running properly.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:04 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by ChrisMD View post
Hi All,

Just got back from a work trip to the Middle East, and a bunch of new toys that we had to play with were 3D printers. My mind was blown at how much you could do with them, and the amount of materials you could print with, IE wood, nylon, flexible PLA, PETG, carbon fiber, brass, various metals, etc.

First thing I did when I got back was head to MicroCenter and pick one up, and have 3 more getting delivered after Christmas. Goofed off a bit and printed some stuff, and started designing some new stuff, like a pinpoint cover with a prying end, Deus handle that would take normal shafts, a sun visor for the CTX 3030, 3030 wall hanger with integrated WM10 and headphone holder, mounts of all kinds, different arm cuff designs, etc.

What is one thing you've always wanted but there wasn't anything available, or what was available was cost prohibitive? Help me come up with ideas and with measurements for me to throw in CAD/Fusion360, and I'll return the favor with sending free printed stuff your way. Any and all ideas welcome
I bought a CTX3030 wall hanger just like yours off ebay last year. I just went and looked to buy another for my second CTX and could not find them being sold anywhere. If you ever make up a spare one I would be interested in buying one from you.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:18 PM
Elite Member

Hahahaha, you just brought back a memory I had suppressed, of me cursing out my Deus every time it flopped over. Would you mind (or anyone with a Deus and a decent phone camera) mind taking some quick pics all around, and quick measurement of the cuff and the shaft radius that plugs into the cuff? This one I'll get done and on the cooker tonight.

I don't have a caliper nearby for exact measurements, but here's my best guess on the shaft size with a tape measure.

{edit} Forgot to include the radius dimension.. It's around .120".

The arm cuff looks to be around 4" wide by 3.5" high.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2016, 05:18 PM
Supporter

You got it Choppa, shooting you a PM now. All you have to do is think what color you want, I even have glow in the dark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 12-15-2016, 05:35 PM

Whatever next!
That's remarkable.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:58 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Rattlehead View post
I don't have a caliper nearby for exact measurements, but here's my best guess on the shaft size with a tape measure.

{edit} Forgot to include the radius dimension.. It's around .120".

The arm cuff looks to be around 4" wide by 3.5" high.
Thanks Rattlehead, that helps a lot. Last request for ya is if you get a chance, is could you shoot a measurement from the the coil facing edge of the arm cuff back to the center of the screw hole? I'm gonna build in 22 short rifles on the side of the cuff and a quick release switch so you can feel like Iron Man if you have to protect yourself.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:10 PM
Elite Member

Thanks Rattlehead, that helps a lot. Last request for ya is if you get a chance, is could you shoot a measurement from the the coil facing edge of the arm cuff back to the center of the screw hole? I'm gonna build in 22 short rifles on the side of the cuff and a quick release switch so you can feel like Iron Man if you have to protect yourself.
Oops.. Sorry forgot that one. It's 1.75" to centerline of the screw.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:08 PM
Supporter

Default Choppa Mount v1

What do ya think Choppa? Anything you'd like to see changed before I send it off to the printer for a prototype test run?

Next up, Rattlehead XP Deus arm cuff stand more better version.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2016, 08:09 PM
Elite Member

This is going to be neat thread . Make sure you post pics of the stuff you make . Looking forward to seeing this stuff .

Old 12-15-2016, 08:20 PM
Elite Member

I gotta say the stock arm cuff on the explorer and etracs are not very sturdy. Would you be able to create something sturdier ?

☆2-Shield~14-V's~15-Buff☆

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:58 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by hawgdawg View post
This is going to be neat thread . Make sure you post pics of the stuff you make . Looking forward to seeing this stuff .
Will do Hawgdawg. I'll have the CTX 3030 wall hanger version 2 pics up soon, just went to send it to the printer and realized my print bed is too small. Luckily I have one delivering tomorrow with a way larger print bed.

Have the XP Arm cuff mod coming up, then after that I'm going to finish a 3030 sun shade I was working on, as the flimsy cloth ones never worked well for me.

Also have an almost finished 3030 face plate bumper case almost finished in CAD, just waiting for a set of radius gauges to get delivered tomorrow so I can measure out the wonky corner curves. The bumper cage will be for those few like me that aren't a fan of screen protectors but want some protection around the screen to keep stuff from smashing it.

After that who knows, maybe custom GoPro mounts, flashlight mounts, etc. Have to finish off an AT Pro protection sleeve with a prying thingy built into the end.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:04 PM
Elite Member

What do ya think Choppa? Anything you'd like to see changed before I send it off to the printer for a prototype test run?

Next up, Rattlehead XP Deus arm cuff stand more better version.
What is it

Old 12-15-2016, 09:11 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by MattLock View post
What is it
It's a wall mount for the CTX 3030, shown in the pic above (the one drilled into my wife's DVD case that she turned into a curio case, that I took the curios out of and drilled the mount into), with the addition of a headphone holder on the right and wireless module holder/other handy box thing on the left.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:26 PM
Elite Member

I'll have an idea or 2 for you later , let me get a chance to do some thinking on it and I'll give you a shout .