Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 12-10-2016, 04:23 PM
Supporter

Default Lesche Digger Grip Replacement ? PROBLEM SOLVED !!

Has anyone replaced the grip on their Lesche (hand) Digger. I was wondering if one of those thicker motorcycle type grips, with a little more padding might work? If anyone has done this, I'd love to see some pics of your modification, and know the exact dimensions for the grip, I need to get. I haven't removed my old slick grip yet, but it looks like the metal handle on the Lesche, might be 1" OD and about 4.5" long...

Any suggestions and pics would be welcome...

Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Pro-Pointer, Whites TRX, Jolly Roger Phones, Lesche Digger, 31" Sampson, 31" Relic Hunter, RTG Scoop
Oldest Coin (1910 Barber Dime), Best Find (CW 3-ringer), Strangest Find (Urn Lid)
Clad Count (1933 coins)/($190.01)

Last edited by Reef Runner; 12-14-2016 at 06:36 PM.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:16 PM
Elite Member

I put a motorcycle sponge type grip on mine several years back and it is now worn but still very functional.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:47 PM
Supporter

I went to a bike shop for mine, just asked a couple questions and the owner brought out a box of take offs. I was surprised people would trade them out so quickly. Got a pair(2 diggers) of BMX style grips for 5.00.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:37 PM
Elite Member

I went to Home Depot got me two 1"PVC end caps .. Drilled the end cap so it fit nicely on the end and drilled two hole on each side of the cap and pop rivited the cap in place .. cut off the part of the rubber that so it fit better .. the end cap is rounded and felt a lot better on the palm of the hand while pushing it into the dirt

Old 12-10-2016, 07:55 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Dragonfire View post
I went to Home Depot got me two 1"PVC end caps .. Drilled the end cap so it fit nicely on the end and drilled two hole on each side of the cap and pop rivited the cap in place .. cut off the part of the rubber that so it fit better .. the end cap is rounded and felt a lot better on the palm of the hand while pushing it into the dirt
No, I want to change the whole grip, not just the butt-end, but thanks for the suggestion.

Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Pro-Pointer, Whites TRX, Jolly Roger Phones, Lesche Digger, 31" Sampson, 31" Relic Hunter, RTG Scoop
Oldest Coin (1910 Barber Dime), Best Find (CW 3-ringer), Strangest Find (Urn Lid)

Old 12-11-2016, 12:14 PM

I use an oury bicycle grip on my lesche. Cut the original grip off with a box cutter. Then spray some hair spray on the metal handle and inside the grip, which will help it slide on easily.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:34 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Icansmellgold View post
I use an oury bicycle grip on my lesche. Cut the original grip off with a box cutter. Then spray some hair spray on the metal handle and inside the grip, which will help it slide on easily.
Got a link ?

Last edited by Reef Runner; 12-14-2016 at 06:38 PM.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Elite Member

Most of those replacement grips have a small hole in the grip end and if you start the grip on to the handle and then use an air nozzle with slight pressure into that small hole, the grip will slide on very easy. The fellow at the bike shop told about that trick. no lube is necessary.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:00 PM

Just Google oury bicycle grips. I bought mine in a bike store but they are available at many online stores.

These actually don't have a small hole on the end. So the easiest way to get them on is with hair spray. Once on, the hair spray soon drys and the grip wont move.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:04 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by bowwinkles View post
Most of those replacement grips have a small hole in the grip end and if you start the grip on to the handle and then use an air nozzle with slight pressure into that small hole, the grip will slide on very easy. The fellow at the bike shop told about that trick. no lube is necessary.
The good thing about hair spray is that it acts as a lube to install, and it's like glue once the grip is in place. YMMV.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:29 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by bowwinkles View post
That is so cool. I just went out in my garage (I have an air compressor) and removed the grip from my Lesche in 1 second. I don't have my replacement grip yet, but I just had to try that trick with the air hose. Grip came right off, amazing, and you know how tight they appear to be. Put it right back on the same way - 1 second off - 1 second on. You just learn something new everyday !

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:37 AM

Though not a Lesche, I "fixed" the grip on my Garrett digger as it was sliding around. I took it off and heated the metal handle portion with a heat gun then applied a liberal amount of hot glue. Slide the handle back on and it's good to go. I also added a clad quarter in the end of the rubber grip to keep the metal from cutting through the rubber. Fit perfectly.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:57 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by RockCore View post
Though not a Lesche, I "fixed" the grip on my Garrett digger as it was sliding around. I took it off and heated the metal handle portion with a heat gun then applied a liberal amount of hot glue. Slide the handle back on and it's good to go. I also added a clad quarter in the end of the rubber grip to keep the metal from cutting through the rubber. Fit perfectly.
Seems like a good solution.

Another way to repair, if you got a loose grip, is to pull it off, squirt in a couple of globs of silicone sealant, maybe smear it around a little inside the grip with your finger, then put the grip back on the digger, or whatever. Wipe any excess sealant from your finger, the grip, or where ever, with a wet rag. Allow digger to set overnight so sealant cures and it should be ready to go.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Reef Runner View post
Seems like a good solution.

Another way to repair, if you got a loose grip, is to pull it off, squirt in a couple of globs of silicone sealant, maybe smear it around a little inside the grip with your finger, then put the grip back on the digger, or whatever. Wipe any excess sealant from your finger, the grip, or where ever, with a wet rag. Allow digger to set overnight so sealant cures and it should be ready to go.
I tried the silicone on another digger and it didn't bind to the plastic grip well. I had to redo it with hot glue. I may not have gotten the inside of the grip clean enough. Also, I only heat the metal up with the heat gun enough to keep the hot glue from tacking up too quickly while I slide the handle back on. You would think these companies would use a little better glue. Or more of it!

Old 12-13-2016, 04:57 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by RockCore View post
I tried the silicone on another digger and it didn't bind to the plastic grip well. I had to redo it with hot glue. I may not have gotten the inside of the grip clean enough. Also, I only heat the metal up with the heat gun enough to keep the hot glue from tacking up too quickly while I slide the handle back on. You would think these companies would use a little better glue. Or more of it!
They probably don't use any glue. There was none in the Lesche grip.....

Old 12-14-2016, 06:34 PM
Supporter

Hey Icansmellgold, Thanks for the suggestion. Worked like a champ! I did use rubbing alcohol for application. Damn this thing feels better...... Happy, happy !

Name:  IMG_0429.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  91.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0437.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  80.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0435.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  87.3 KB

Old 12-14-2016, 07:12 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Reef Runner View post
Hey Icansmellgold, Thanks for the suggestion. Worked like a champ! I did use rubbing alcohol for application. Damn this thing feels better...... Happy, happy !

Dang! It looks great! I like the fact that you chose orange too, it's easier to spot if you accidentally leave it somewhere while on a hunt. My original one is still missing

Fisher F70, Fisher F2, 2017 clad: $52.61, Silver coins: 18, Indian heads: 1, Wheaties: 37, Gold rings: 1, Silver rings: 3, Total clad: $286.80, (after paying off the F2), Silver coins: 38, Gold rings: 4

Old 12-14-2016, 07:19 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by bruinvikes View post
Dang! It looks great! I like the fact that you chose orange too, it's easier to spot if you accidentally leave it somewhere while on a hunt. My original one is still missing
Yep, yep......Orange is definitely the color of choice !

Old 12-14-2016, 08:53 PM
Supporter

That's looks sweet! The grip that comes on the lesche reminds me of an old Schwinn bicycle

2 Compadres : 2017 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $184.37 ($624.07), Silver coins: 0 (4), Wheats: 5 (28), Gold: 4 (17), .925 19 (47), Rings: 36 (133), Oldest Coin: 1940 CAN cent, 1940 Jefferson, 1940d Wheat

Old 12-14-2016, 09:49 PM

Glad it worked out! I've been using mine (also orange) for years. Ive worn the lesche blade down about 0.5", but the grip is still working great!