Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 12-25-2016, 11:26 AM
OP3CRIMSIN's Avatar
OP3CRIMSIN OP3CRIMSIN is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Leavenworth, KS
Posts: 250
Default

Originally Posted by NMsilver View post
I know, I know. Please understand that many coin collectors have a neurotic obsession with the treatment of coins, we can get weird about it.
Please just promise us one thing- you'll carefully check all coins for key or semi-key dates/mintmarks before you scour them.

Oh, and try the glass scouring powder for silver, instead of the brass brush, trust me.
Again, if you read the article, I've pointed out that "If I can't retire off of them, I clean 'em!" Which can be loosely inferred that I'm looking up questionable coins. In fact, also in this post, I've noted that I've ordered most of the coins shown for the purposes of checking their signatures under my detector so I already know what they're worth because I paid for them.
Reply With Quote


  #42  
Old 12-27-2016, 09:03 PM
Glennz Glennz is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,490
Default

Originally Posted by OP3CRIMSIN View post
Again, if you read the article, I've pointed out that "If I can't retire off of them, I clean 'em!" Which can be loosely inferred that I'm looking up questionable coins. In fact, also in this post, I've noted that I've ordered most of the coins shown for the purposes of checking their signatures under my detector so I already know what they're worth because I paid for them.
I paid $5 once for a $200 coin... ive also paid 5 cents for a 600$ coin. I can say that some of the coins you cleaned are not cheap by any means.

__________________
I make custom made rock jewelry or rock things.
My lapidary/rock jewelry online shop:http://www.alaskanlapidary.com/

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #43  
Old 12-28-2016, 12:59 AM
OP3CRIMSIN's Avatar
OP3CRIMSIN OP3CRIMSIN is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Leavenworth, KS
Posts: 250
Default

Originally Posted by Glennz View post
I paid $5 once for a $200 coin... ive also paid 5 cents for a 600$ coin. I can say that some of the coins you cleaned are not cheap by any means.
Then I guess I got a screaming deal!
Reply With Quote


  #44  
Old 12-28-2016, 04:15 AM
Glennz Glennz is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,490
Default

Originally Posted by OP3CRIMSIN View post
Then I guess I got a screaming deal!
possibly, fyi i got mine on feebay. the 200$ coin was labled in a group of large cents as an 1828... the $600 coin i got in a coin roll. i didn't realize until i recieved it. i can say i would have loved to get some like you had, my silver is not too old.

__________________
I make custom made rock jewelry or rock things.
My lapidary/rock jewelry online shop:http://www.alaskanlapidary.com/

Reply With Quote


  #45  
Old 12-28-2016, 05:48 PM
OP3CRIMSIN's Avatar
OP3CRIMSIN OP3CRIMSIN is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Leavenworth, KS
Posts: 250
Default

Originally Posted by Glennz View post
possibly, fyi i got mine on feebay. the 200$ coin was labled in a group of large cents as an 1828... the $600 coin i got in a coin roll. i didn't realize until i recieved it. i can say i would have loved to get some like you had, my silver is not too old.
Wow! Find a keydate shield or something? Pics? Oh, and my actual finds so far are a 1913 Barber dime dug, a 43 war nickel dug, a 48 washington dug, a 100 Dinar Iranian copper dug, and a 59 silver rosie from coin roll. The rest were purchased.
Reply With Quote


  #46  
Old 12-28-2016, 11:18 PM
Glennz Glennz is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,490
Default

Originally Posted by OP3CRIMSIN View post
Wow! Find a keydate shield or something? Pics? Oh, and my actual finds so far are a 1913 Barber dime dug, a 43 war nickel dug, a 48 washington dug, a 100 Dinar Iranian copper dug, and a 59 silver rosie from coin roll. The rest were purchased.

Heres a pic. I can say 1909 ih pennys are about 16 in g-4 and large cents are 20-30 in g-4

__________________
I make custom made rock jewelry or rock things.
My lapidary/rock jewelry online shop:http://www.alaskanlapidary.com/

Reply With Quote


  #47  
Old 03-24-2017, 10:28 AM
Swinglow's Avatar
Swinglow Swinglow is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 4,553
Default

I have to say ,as a coin dealer, you're making me cringe with those photos. You took coins with nice natural toning and completely ruined them and totally destroyed their value in the process. The luster doesn't match the wear of the coin and it just looks horrible. I suppose as long as you like it, that's all that matters, but suggesting this method to others is doing this forum a disservice imo.

Oh the humanity!

__________________
XP DEUS/Modded EXCAL II [2017] (3)Au (-)Pt (13)Ag (5) Rings (2) .925

Reply With Quote


3 members found this post helpful.
  #48  
Old 03-24-2017, 10:29 AM
Swinglow's Avatar
Swinglow Swinglow is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 4,553
Default

Originally Posted by Glennz View post
Heres a pic. I can say 1909 ih pennys are about 16 in g-4 and large cents are 20-30 in g-4

If you believe that, I'll sell you full rolls for $5 a coin. You can more than triple your money.

Yes I'm serious.

__________________
XP DEUS/Modded EXCAL II [2017] (3)Au (-)Pt (13)Ag (5) Rings (2) .925

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #49  
Old 03-24-2017, 02:21 PM
goldpaninut's Avatar
goldpaninut goldpaninut is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Idaho
Posts: 170
Default

Any brushing on a valuable coin, even with a soft brass brush, will literally destroy their resale value. I'm afraid I have to agree with swinglow, you have ruined these coins and I hope no one else tries this with their valuable finds.

__________________
The Good Lord above has led me to one 1890-cc silver dollar, 1 Barber quarter, 1 mint Standing Liberty quarter, 9 silver washington quarters, 4 Standing Liberty half's, 2 Buffalo nickels, 2 Barber dimes, 64 Mercury dimes, 57 Roosevelt dimes, $390 clad, 6 gold rings, 5 silver rings. I use an MXT All Pro & a Whites 6000 DI Pro

Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #50  
Old 03-24-2017, 10:53 PM
Mikey48's Avatar
Mikey48 Mikey48 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 236
Default

Originally Posted by goldpaninut View post
Any brushing on a valuable coin, even with a soft brass brush, will literally destroy their resale value. I'm afraid I have to agree with swinglow, you have ruined these coins and I hope no one else tries this with their valuable finds.
+1 I'm a lifelong coin collector and I agree. If you are doing it to please yourself, and don't care about the ending value of the coin, it is your property to do with as you wish. The 1909 Indian cent was the color and toning that it should be for its age and condition. Stripping the patina makes it undesirable for a coin collector, as the result is an unnatural color + scratches. I'm Posting only to make you aware of the consequences of this process on collectible coins. Seriously, you can have a $500 dollar coin and polish it into a coin having only bullion value. This does not apply so much to very worn or corroded coins, as they are collectible more as relics than rare coins. My 2cents.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #51  
Old 03-24-2017, 11:11 PM
blkcloud's Avatar
blkcloud blkcloud is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 264
Default

I like it, I don't care if it diminishes the value or not.. I never sell anything I find anyway..

__________________
Etrac, Whites 6kdi Tesoro Silver U Max.. BH Land Star..

Reply With Quote


  #52  
Old 03-25-2017, 06:00 PM
Glennz Glennz is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,490
Default

Originally Posted by Swinglow View post
If you believe that, I'll sell you full rolls for $5 a coin. You can more than triple your money.

Yes I'm serious.
Not sure how i passed this... if your willing to sell my a full roll of 1909 ihp i'll take ya up, the price dropped a bit for retail but still worth 11-16 ea according to ngc, although red book lists them for more

__________________
I make custom made rock jewelry or rock things.
My lapidary/rock jewelry online shop:http://www.alaskanlapidary.com/

Reply With Quote


  #53  
Old 03-25-2017, 06:36 PM
Crackerjack's Avatar
Crackerjack Crackerjack is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: The Flint Hills of Kansas.
Posts: 1,473
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Swinglow View post
I have to say ,as a coin dealer, you're making me cringe with those photos. You took coins with nice natural toning and completely ruined them and totally destroyed their value in the process. The luster doesn't match the wear of the coin and it just looks horrible. I suppose as long as you like it, that's all that matters, but suggesting this method to others is doing this forum a disservice imo.

Oh the humanity!
That was my thought exactly when I first started reading this thread!

Jeez! This is why archies don't want us digging up artifacts, because ignorant metal detectorists end up vandalizing them!

And to the OP and others who plan to do this vandalizing of coins, who "don't plan on selling them", let me tell you something. When you are dead and buried, your heirs will want to sell them. They will look in the coin books and magazines and think that they hit the jackpot. Then a knowledgeable coin dealer will tell them your coins are next to worthless, because you ruined them with your idea of beauty, and probably won't offer them anything for them. Please, please realize that we are only stewards of our possessions, and that someday we will shuffle off to a dirt nap, and leave everything behind to others. How we preserve artifacts for future generations to appreciate and learn from is important.

Sorry for the sermon, but I'm a student of history, and this is important to me. I apologize if I offended anyone, but it had to be said--I feel that strongly about it.

__________________
Not in it "for the hunt"--I dig history.
http://detecting365.com/cleaning-away-history/
Teknetics EurotekPro w/ 8" concentric coil.

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #54  
Old 03-25-2017, 06:43 PM
Ice Scratcher's Avatar
Ice Scratcher Ice Scratcher is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 16,084
Default

Originally Posted by Crackerjack View post
we are only stewards of our possessions....
Reminds me of a saying...

You are not an owner of a National guitar, just a caretaker....

The one I'm taking care of is a 1928..

<)))>{
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #55  
Old 04-15-2017, 03:06 PM
metaldetector19's Avatar
metaldetector19 metaldetector19 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 29
Smile Great job

You can use vinegar and baking soda will do the same results
Reply With Quote


  #56  
Old 04-15-2017, 03:41 PM
jwp1964's Avatar
jwp1964 jwp1964 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 7,226
Default

:l ol::roll :

__________________
XP Deus, 2016 (2017): 66 (34) Silv, 566 (126) Wheats, 2 () V Nick, 13 (6) Buffs, 11 (4) IHC, 35 (9) Tokens 4 () Gold, 19 (11) Sterling, $ 176.47 ($ 161.44) clad
1807 Draped Bust Half Cent, 1866 Shield Nick


Last edited by jwp1964; 04-15-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #57  
Old 04-17-2017, 04:01 AM
wolf-n-wa's Avatar
wolf-n-wa wolf-n-wa is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma&Tonasket, Wa., Kanagawa, San Diego, Sherman, Tx
Posts: 5,102
Default

Originally Posted by Glennz View post
Not sure how i passed this... if your willing to sell my a full roll of 1909 ihp i'll take ya up, the price dropped a bit for retail but still worth 11-16 ea according to ngc, although red book lists them for more
Don't follow NGC prices as those are for NGC slabbed coins. You still have to pay for the grading. And their is always a small premium for graded coins. Wolf

__________________
DIGGIN TO CHINA!
Facebook group "Coinswapper"

Reply With Quote


  #58  
Old 04-17-2017, 12:31 PM
Glennz Glennz is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,490
Default

Originally Posted by wolf-n-wa View post
Don't follow NGC prices as those are for NGC slabbed coins. You still have to pay for the grading. And their is always a small premium for graded coins. Wolf

While that may be, most of the prices listed are below book value, I can imagine the higher end having more value though, but from what ive seen they just track ebay listings and see what the coins go for and sometimes the links they bring you to are non ngc, but nothing beets book value

__________________
I make custom made rock jewelry or rock things.
My lapidary/rock jewelry online shop:http://www.alaskanlapidary.com/

Reply With Quote


  #59  
Old 04-17-2017, 01:55 PM
Tpmetal Tpmetal is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 52
Default

Dude you ruined all of those coins, especially the silver coins. Please don't spread this as valid coin cleaning information. Please do your research next time.
Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.