Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Eye Popping, Mind Blowing Finds

Old 10-24-2016, 12:14 PM
Elite Member

Default M1 Carbine

Went to a local place that use to be a full lake but now there is nothing left but the main channel. I hunted the edge of the water but wasn't really getting any hits so I decided to head for an old bridge that I use to fish under. I was directly under the edge of the bridge and got a loud signal and looked down and thought that looks like a barrel of a gun... I grabbed it and it didn't move so I started to excavate it and after some time, being that the stock was almost 2 1/2 feet under got it out. Complete but covered in muck...first thought murder weapon... As I was heading to my car a gentleman was pulled over in his truck and I was wondering if he thought I had returned to get the weapon I threw over the bridge when the lake was full. Not sure if it will ever clean up...would love to get the serial numbers and maker.. Also my friends are telling me to call the cops. What's your take.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2016, 12:20 PM
Supporter

Dude that is sweet!

There was a post on here by ScubaDetector about him finding a pistol and getting to keep it after it was cleared or something. Different states different rules probably. Dang that is cool!

https://metaldetectingforum.com/show...=225702&page=2

Compadre : 2017 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $43.65 ($483.35), Silver coins: 0 (4), Wheats: 1 (24), Gold: 2 (15), .925 6 (33), Rings: 12 (109), Oldest Coin: 1940 CAN cent, 1940 Jefferson, 1940d Wheat

Old 10-24-2016, 12:21 PM
Administrator

If it was me, I would take it to the cops and let them clean it up and get any forensic evidence they can. Let them know that if it was not a weapon used in a crime and the owner doesn't claim it in 60 days, you want it back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marriage, an institution where one person is always right and the other one is a husband.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:28 PM
Elite Member

that sounds like the thing to do...

Old 10-24-2016, 12:33 PM
Elite Member

Awesome find, with the magazine and all!! Congrats!!

Old 10-24-2016, 12:47 PM
Elite Member

That is a cool find, I bet if you hand it over to the cops you'll never see it again.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:50 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Rudy View post
If it was me, I would take it to the cops and let them clean it up and get any forensic evidence they can. Let them know that if it was not a weapon used in a crime and the owner doesn't claim it in 60 days, you want it back.
its so rusted. wonder if they would be able to get anything off of this except fish poop.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:32 PM
Supporter

Congrats that's an awesome score, just can't imagine someone tossing a M1 carbine. Would make me suspicious. That is a cool find!

Old 10-24-2016, 02:20 PM
Elite Member

I would turn it into the cops just to get it cleared. The chances of a person using this as a murder weapon are slim considering the fact that they used these guns in ww2 and Vietnam. If anything it could have been a stolen weapon that someone got rid of.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:46 PM
Elite Member

Man, that's really cool! Congrats!

Old 10-24-2016, 02:51 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Briman05 View post
I would turn it into the cops just to get it cleared. The chances of a person using this as a murder weapon are slim considering the fact that they used these guns in ww2 and Vietnam. If anything it could have been a stolen weapon that someone got rid of.
Then why throw it off of a bridge with the clip still intact?

Old 10-24-2016, 03:12 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by NectarDetector View post
Then why throw it off of a bridge with the clip still intact?
Before the gun buy back programs would be my guess, someone just wanted to get it out of the house when grandpa died, maybe. Shame.

It's a magazine, not a clip, just to be a stickler

Pretty cool find!

Compadre : 2017 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $43.65 ($483.35), Silver coins: 0 (4), Wheats: 1 (24), Gold: 2 (15), .925 6 (33), Rings: 12 (109), Oldest Coin: 1940 CAN cent, 1940 Jefferson, 1940d Wheat

Old 10-24-2016, 03:21 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
Before the gun buy back programs would be my guess, someone just wanted to get it out of the house when grandpa died, maybe. Shame.

Pretty cool find!
JUST FYI

A clip is a device that is used to store multiple rounds of ammunition together as a unit, ready for insertion into the magazine or cylinder of a firearm

Old 10-24-2016, 03:29 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
So you didn't know what I was talking about then...

Old 10-24-2016, 03:29 PM
Elite Member

Finders keepers. I would take it home a d hang it on the wall.

Charlie

Old 10-24-2016, 04:04 PM
Supporter

Can't always assume it was purposely thrown away. The bridge is a great fishing area and someone could have turned over and lost their gun.
It's not uncommon to carry a gun fishing. Shotgun rifle or pistol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-24-2016, 04:10 PM
Elite Member

I would seriously not bother turning it in. Even if, and it's a big if, it was connected to some crime, there is almost zero chance they will be able to connect it via forensics or serial number. You would be extremely lucky to get it back in either case. No possibility of ballistic testing on something that corroded. I would clean it as best you can, and verify it is not an M2 carbine- if it is, then I would turn it in. Regular M1 carbine, just hang it on the wall and be happy.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:17 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by worm12ga View post
I would seriously not bother turning it in. Even if, and it's a big if, it was connected to some crime, there is almost zero chance they will be able to connect it via forensics or serial number. You would be extremely lucky to get it back in either case. No possibility of ballistic testing on something that corroded. I would clean it as best you can, and verify it is not an M2 carbine- if it is, then I would turn it in. Regular M1 carbine, just hang it on the wall and be happy.
If it was an M2 you would have a bunch of paperwork and questions to answer and still be treated like a criminal. Either way I'd hang it on the wall. If it is an M2, let some other digger dig the trigger group in the next 50 years.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:04 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Charlie Tuna View post
If it was an M2 you would have a bunch of paperwork and questions to answer and still be treated like a criminal. Either way I'd hang it on the wall. If it is an M2, let some other digger dig the trigger group in the next 50 years.
You're right, on second thought, if I knew it was an M2, I would just put it back in the hole and not turn it in. Not worth the headaches.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:32 PM
Supporter

Keep it. 99.5% chance all markings are destroyed anyway.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants-- Thomas Jefferson

4 members found this post helpful.