Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 10-14-2016, 11:24 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Just one more View post
Now show me how it does in high minerals in dry soil at a trashy park when you don't know the exact location of the target.
That's the real test right there...

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:41 AM

It did very well in trashy parks and schools in my area. Soil is still pretty terrible under the grass roots.

9-10 inches on a couple copper and quarters. Silver ring...credit token...wheats.

Only had it 3-4 weeks and hit some pretty good stuff.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:37 AM
Supporter

nectar put the ctx down for a couple of months and swing the deus and see what you think,at least your arm will get a break from that 5 pound beast your swinging lol

Old 10-15-2016, 07:44 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Just one more View post
Now show me how it does in high minerals in dry soil at a trashy park when you don't know the exact location of the target.
I cant test the soil because I dont have that here but the hunter gt did some testing with it in that type of soil. I can testify to this though it will eat the CTX 30/30 alive on seperation in iron and trash I know the minelab guys are already starting to scream , its a fact jack! I can here what their saying now but the ctx has a better id , well that might be true but if cant see the target it surly cant id it. that should ruffle some feathers.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:47 AM
Elite Member

Just like every other machine out there it will take a hit on depth when it comes to high mineral dirt. The Deus is very good detector. No doubt about it. It isn't a magic wand, and it has a few flaws of it's own. Large iron being one. EMI being another. Even target ID is not that good compared to other machines. I found coins with mine I don't think any other detector would have found at the time. This was before the Makro/Nokta days. If you can afford one the Deus has it's place in anyone's arsenal. Just realize results will vary because of where you hunt.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:30 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by goodmore View post
Just like every other machine out there it will take a hit on depth when it comes to high mineral dirt. The Deus is very good detector. No doubt about it. It isn't a magic wand, and it has a few flaws of it's own. Large iron being one. EMI being another. Even target ID is not that good compared to other machines. I found coins with mine I don't think any other detector would have found at the time. This was before the Makro/Nokta days. If you can afford one the Deus has it's place in anyone's arsenal. Just realize results will vary because of where you hunt.

nectar put the ctx down for a couple of months and swing the deus and see what you think

Ive used 20 detectors calabash. Not like im brand loyal and have only ever used a ctx! I use 3 machines right now lol...the last line of his post says what I've meant all along. Air tests n test gardens are one thing on a Known isolated target.

Add real world mineralization and junk targets then produce those kinda results of 14 in coins consistently witb good id on the machine.

Btw I've used a deus n could if I wanted to. I use what I have for a reason

Old 10-15-2016, 10:25 AM

I will say EMI was a huge issue for me in a couple places. A school with a large AC the size of a truck attached to the outside of the building sent the XP bonkers at over 100 yards. As soon as it came on....boom. As soon as it shut off...stable as could be.

My wife could take her Gold Bug within 10 feet of that AC box with no issues at all. Went back with my T2 Classic and it can get pretty close as well.

Indoors was another place. Yes yes I know...indoors. Obviously where I do my air testing and such. The XP was BY FAR the most touchy detector that has been on my counter top.

As far as ID...The XP ID'ed pennies at 9-10 for me more than once in REAL WORLD trashy parks with bad minerals under the grass. I would not challenge another detector against it in such a setting. The XP is the top dog there IMO. Or a trashy iron relic site. The separation and unmasking was amazing.

My only other issue with the XP was depth in terrible soil. Not bad soil...terrible soil. It cannot go any further than many 300-500 dollar machines I tested. Which is a HUGE negative for me if I am paying over 1000. Better wash my dishes sucka!

A G2/F19/Gold bug with a larger coil will penetrate this soil better than the XP anyday of the week My wifes Gold Bug with the 5x10 already spanks it.

Like I said though....take it to your house...XP all day and then some.

I know the 15 inch quarter claims are legit in your soil. But anywhere else you are looking at much less...9-10 in my area tops. F75 and T2 can do that at $599 and $499...so I just cannot justify the purchase.

Never touched a CTX3030 yet...so as of now the XP is still the best detector I have ever touched. Just not 15 inch and $1200+ awesome in my area.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Supporter

I hear what your saying so basically you would just be paying for the wireless feature. Nectar im just poking fun at you . I know everyone has there own style.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:58 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by calabash digger View post
I hear what your saying so basically you would just be paying for the wireless feature. Nectar im just poking fun at you . I know everyone has there own style.
The wireless features and the weight too. Both are factors people are willing to pay extra for to a point.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:12 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by TheHunterGT View post
I will say EMI was a huge issue for me in a couple places. A school with a large AC the size of a truck attached to the outside of the building sent the XP bonkers at over 100 yards. As soon as it came on....boom. As soon as it shut off...stable as could be.

My wife could take her Gold Bug within 10 feet of that AC box with no issues at all. Went back with my T2 Classic and it can get pretty close as well.

Indoors was another place. Yes yes I know...indoors. Obviously where I do my air testing and such. The XP was BY FAR the most touchy detector that has been on my counter top.

As far as ID...The XP ID'ed pennies at 9-10 for me more than once in REAL WORLD trashy parks with bad minerals under the grass. I would not challenge another detector against it in such a setting. The XP is the top dog there IMO. Or a trashy iron relic site. The separation and unmasking was amazing.

My only other issue with the XP was depth in terrible soil. Not bad soil...terrible soil. It cannot go any further than many 300-500 dollar machines I tested. Which is a HUGE negative for me if I am paying over 1000. Better wash my dishes sucka!

A G2/F19/Gold bug with a larger coil will penetrate this soil better than the XP anyday of the week My wifes Gold Bug with the 5x10 already spanks it.

Like I said though....take it to your house...XP all day and then some.

I know the 15 inch quarter claims are legit in your soil. But anywhere else you are looking at much less...9-10 in my area tops. F75 and T2 can do that at $599 and $499...so I just cannot justify the purchase.

Never touched a CTX3030 yet...so as of now the XP is still the best detector I have ever touched. Just not 15 inch and $1200+ awesome in my area.
In my area,,,soil minerals wise,,,Deus spanks F75 any version for depth--- giving tone on deeper nonferrous targets.

Also Deus performs better depth wise in my area vs Nokta Relic,,Nokta CoRe,,Makro Racer 1 and 2.

Deus is near the top for distinguishing nonferrous in higher mineral soil vs other Vlf detectors --- coil size for coil size --- needs to be setup right,,,this based on my very own comparisons to all detectors I have ran.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:43 PM

"In your area" I beleive it. Most people will have much better soil than mine...even if theirs is pretty nasty as it is. The USGS survey for my immediate area shows lead and iron content off the charts...and it used to be a prehistoric salt lake bed...so all sorts of rad deposits from that as well.

In areas where grass and vegetation have grown repeatedly...it went quite deep and I came away impressed. In other places it fared no better than entry/intermediate level detectors (Ace 400/LRP/F44) and I came away completely unimpressed. So I agree 100% in "higher" minerals it can still shine...but in the "highest" like my Colorado dirt...it just does not.

In the 3-4 weeks I had it I tried so many custom programs it was bonkers. Nothing hit those 5 inch coins in my backyard on a regular basis.

Then again...in dirt like that most coins only go 2-3 inches deep anyways.

If you have a quick second....go to 7:45 of this video and you will see first hand just how terrible the soil is here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMMN...el=TheHunterGT

Old 10-15-2016, 10:03 PM
Supporter

thats awful ! you got to be dedicated to dig where you live.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:26 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by TheHunterGT View post
"In your area" I beleive it. Most people will have much better soil than mine...even if theirs is pretty nasty as it is. The USGS survey for my immediate area shows lead and iron content off the charts...and it used to be a prehistoric salt lake bed...so all sorts of rad deposits from that as well.

In areas where grass and vegetation have grown repeatedly...it went quite deep and I came away impressed. In other places it fared no better than entry/intermediate level detectors (Ace 400/LRP/F44) and I came away completely unimpressed. So I agree 100% in "higher" minerals it can still shine...but in the "highest" like my Colorado dirt...it just does not.

In the 3-4 weeks I had it I tried so many custom programs it was bonkers. Nothing hit those 5 inch coins in my backyard on a regular basis.

Then again...in dirt like that most coins only go 2-3 inches deep anyways.

If you have a quick second....go to 7:45 of this video and you will see first hand just how terrible the soil is here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMMN...el=TheHunterGT
A Blisstool V6 might be of great help in your area.
Pulse unit too.

And a steam shovel....lol

Soil doe seem hard,,,but this not exactly the tell all.

There are links to higher minerals and harder to dig in soil though.
Sink rate in higher mineral soil generally less on average too.

Your comments about depth does remind me of a site I hunted a few months ago.

And it is hard like you say to convince folks about just what mineralization does to detector performance.

Nice video.
Keep em coming.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:15 PM

thats awful ! you got to be dedicated to dig where you live.
lol..it does make me question my sanity sometimes.

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
A Blisstool V6 might be of great help in your area.
Pulse unit too.

And a steam shovel....lol

Soil doe seem hard,,,but this not exactly the tell all.

There are links to higher minerals and harder to dig in soil though.
Sink rate in higher mineral soil generally less on average too.

Your comments about depth does remind me of a site I hunted a few months ago.

And it is hard like you say to convince folks about just what mineralization does to detector performance.

Nice video.
Keep em coming.
I have heard great things about that V6 and would love to try one.

Went to a relic site a while back...at there were bolts and license plates from the 30's. Like they were just dropped yesterday. 1880s fork at another site sticking out the ground still. Some sometimes it can be a great benefit having soil this rough.

Love the steam shovel comment lmao. HH guys.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:48 AM
Supporter

I got a simple soloution since everything is that shallow just get a super strong magnet and problem is solved! no kidding though that is some mean looking dirt.I tried to get my wife into detecting she doesnt want to get her hands dirty go figure but on the plus side she likes to ride around and do research with me and help me find sites. come to think about I got it pretty good ,I dont have to worry about her out hunting me man you got it bad out there in colorado lol

Old 12-18-2016, 07:09 PM

Just been reading this thread and Tnss your comment about a speck of ferrous blinding a good target reminded me of a hoard that was found in England, almost 4000 Roman coins in a clay pot about 50cm deep, blinded by a single iron nail !
The guy that found the hoard had been detecting the same field on and off for 20 yrs, he got a new detector and went over the field with it, it gave a 'dig-don't dig' signal and when he dug down it was a hefty big nail, but he kept going and found the hoard below.

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
I don't know if your question is directed to me or not but will provide a few comments.

In the soil/site where you did your video.

Can a PI offer any advantages over Vlf???

Yes

What are they???

First of all PI detectors not as deep usually on high conductors vs lower conductors.

So will be far deeper on a nickel vs a dime for example.
Minerals in soil does affect PI detector depth as well,,just not as much as Vlf detector.

Also,,could a PI detector say in your site where you did your video,,,could a PI detector for example,,,could a user of Minelab GPX find a 8" deep nickel you wouldn't be alerted to using Deus?? Yes
Why??

Vlf detectors are more prone to blinding,,,a small speck of ferrous could indeed blind say the Deus,,,and the Deus user would sweep over and possibly get no detection of either the small speck of ferrous or even the nickel,,,yet the PI detector will power through this speck and alert on nickel.

Also,,,back to your video site,,,what if it were a CW site,,,,what if a plate was there and down 22",,, would the Deus alert on???

PI detector likely to alert on.

A person can use a PI detector in selective sites,,,even if milder ground and do things a person with a Vlf detector can't do.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:53 PM
Supporter

Is this true or not you guys with the bad soil wouldnt you be better off with a pulse machine? I know soil conditions affect depth so heres a question to you guys if the deus will hit that kind of depth in my soil and say I test at pro and its getting 10 inchs in my soil and thats about right what kind of depth would the pro get in your soil. THE LOGIC IM TRYING TO USE IS THIS IF IN YOUR SOIL you can only see a quarter with the deus at 5 inchs how deep can you see that same quarter with the AT PRO since the deus has 4 or 5 inchs more depth capabilities?
I was able to put this to a test. I have poor soil, the AT Pro balances upwards of 86 so I can not reach the depth of calabash. I have a small test garden and calabashes relic program hits them all and as he said, ground balance is key. The deus does say dig me on all counts but I am not sure the deeper coins would stop you in your tracks. I had the AT Pro in pro zero, stock coil, max sensitivity and gb to the soil. The deus was calabashes relic program, 9 inch coil.

7 in clad dime- AT Pro called it iron outright, deus hit it well
7 inch nickel-both machines hit this and made it sound better than a nickel
8 inch clad quarter- AT Pro said iron 50% and high 50% , Deus sounded good.

here is where the rubber hit the road
10 inch clad quarter- AT pro said iron softly with one high in ten passes, the deus hit this with a good tone but I will say I believe this is about the limit in my soil. I may bury a deeper quarter and mayb a half even deeper just to see. I must say that his program does seem to be more reliable on deep targets than anything else I have. The program I have been using that I posted about a week ago is a very close second.

Clad (2015/16)=149.45 (2017)=$7.14 Rings=7 Silver Coins=24 IH=14 Oldest coin=1773 Sterling =8

Old 12-19-2016, 08:39 PM
Elite Member

As far as higher mineral,,,,Deus more forgiving than most other detectors.

As the target depth deepens,,,sweep speed and or coil position become more and more critical.

So even for example an At Pro and Deus,,,,both may actually say target is nonferrous (TID not ideal),,, but Deus gives user more error (coil swing and or position).

Same with F75 any series. (Lags behind Deus as well).

Deus does need to be set up correctly though I.e. Higher reactivity and low silencer like -1.

Over the course of hunting,,,,minutes and hours,,days,and months,,years,,,this advantage provided by Deus can really allow more ground to be covered more efficiently.

This is not to say an op won't sweep over a find and MISS.

When we try and compare to say Minelab etrac or CTX,,even explorers--- if not for their great TID,,,their slower coil sweep needed,,,is offset by the great TID and or depth.

But folks should realize. , ,quite a few folks are starting to realize the Etracs and CTXs are indeed lying to them ID wise,,,and by digging more of these less than ideal ID targets-- some mighty fine coins for example are being had.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:58 PM
Supporter

quote But folks should realize. , ,quite a few folks are starting to realize the Etracs and CTXs are indeed lying to them ID wise,,,and by digging more of these less than ideal ID targets-- some mighty fine coins for example are being You are correct imo tnsharpshooter I saw it what little I swung the ctx over targets in my test garden . Silver coin surrounded by nails. I know the ctx is a great machine BUT I have friends who trust its id capalbilities way too much imo.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:03 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by remmy View post
I was able to put this to a test. I have poor soil, the AT Pro balances upwards of 86 so I can not reach the depth of calabash. I have a small test garden and calabashes relic program hits them all and as he said, ground balance is key. The deus does say dig me on all counts but I am not sure the deeper coins would stop you in your tracks. I had the AT Pro in pro zero, stock coil, max sensitivity and gb to the soil. The deus was calabashes relic program, 9 inch coil.

7 in clad dime- AT Pro called it iron outright, deus hit it well
7 inch nickel-both machines hit this and made it sound better than a nickel
8 inch clad quarter- AT Pro said iron 50% and high 50% , Deus sounded good.

here is where the rubber hit the road
10 inch clad quarter- AT pro said iron softly with one high in ten passes, the deus hit this with a good tone but I will say I believe this is about the limit in my soil. I may bury a deeper quarter and mayb a half even deeper just to see. I must say that his program does seem to be more reliable on deep targets than anything else I have. The program I have been using that I posted about a week ago is a very close second.
Great test thanks for taking the time to do it.