Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Notices

Old 10-12-2016, 10:25 AM
Banned

say I test at pro and its getting 10 inchs in my soil and thats about right what kind of depth would the pro get in your soil.
In my soil you would "probably" get approx 2 inches less depth with the pro in relative depth... in response to your theoretical question I guess knowing what yours normally ground balances at would help with that guesstimate though

Old 10-12-2016, 10:27 AM
Supporter

thanks nectar ,do you sell the deus?

Old 10-12-2016, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by calabash digger View post
thanks nectar ,do you sell the deus?
Yessir

Old 10-12-2016, 10:35 AM
Elite Member

Is this true or not you guys with the bad soil wouldnt you be better off with a pulse machine? I know soil conditions affect depth so heres a question to you guys if the deus will hit that kind of depth in my soil and say I test at pro and its getting 10 inchs in my soil and thats about right what kind of depth would the pro get in your soil. THE LOGIC IM TRYING TO USE IS THIS IF IN YOUR SOIL you can only see a quarter with the deus at 5 inchs how deep can you see that same quarter with the AT PRO since the deus has 4 or 5 inchs more depth capabilities?
Well,

The way a detector performs in higher mineral soil vs lower from a depth perspective -- not exactly parallel lines can be drawn.

Meaning a certain model detector can be deeper in mild soil,,,yet another model detector can be deeper in higher minerlaizied soil.

White's MX Sport could be one example,,,I've tested the MX Sport,,and Deus.

Another gent I follow closely,who doesn't post here,,,,seems to think based on his use of Deus and MX sport,,,the sport is deeper in the higher minerlaizied soil vs Deus,,,,yet I truly believe the Deus is deeper in milder ground.

Remember just one example.

Also as far a pulse detectors,,,while it is true for example,,,take a Minelab GPX series,,,,it will do ferrous reject say for the first approx 6" but after that,,,really no disc. Meaning one has to base dig or no dig more on tone presentation. And experienced folks with these can get pretty good with them.

Also most Vlf detectors,,in higher mineralized soil,,,most will on deeper nonferrous targets,,,they will either not provided tone whatsoever,,,,or they may actually identify a nonferrous target as ferrous via tone and or ID.

Basically not as cut and dried.

Would be nice if detecting (amongst the various) settings soil wise was so simple.

Cheers.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Supporter

if YOU were hunting in that type of soil would you be using a pulse machine?

Old 10-12-2016, 10:53 AM
Elite Member

if YOU were hunting in that type of soil would you be using a pulse machine?
I don't know if your question is directed to me or not but will provide a few comments.

In the soil/site where you did your video.

Can a PI offer any advantages over Vlf???

Yes

What are they???

First of all PI detectors not as deep usually on high conductors vs lower conductors.

So will be far deeper on a nickel vs a dime for example.
Minerals in soil does affect PI detector depth as well,,just not as much as Vlf detector.

Also,,could a PI detector say in your site where you did your video,,,could a PI detector for example,,,could a user of Minelab GPX find a 8" deep nickel you wouldn't be alerted to using Deus?? Yes
Why??

Vlf detectors are more prone to blinding,,,a small speck of ferrous could indeed blind say the Deus,,,and the Deus user would sweep over and possibly get no detection of either the small speck of ferrous or even the nickel,,,yet the PI detector will power through this speck and alert on nickel.

Also,,,back to your video site,,,what if it were a CW site,,,,what if a plate was there and down 22",,, would the Deus alert on???

PI detector likely to alert on.

A person can use a PI detector in selective sites,,,even if milder ground and do things a person with a Vlf detector can't do.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:07 AM
Supporter

I was asking you tn sharpshooter if you were in the bad soil they were talking about above would you use a pulse machine. I will say this in my soil im not giving up the 2 pound beast for a pulse machine for what I do its the perfect fit.I dont want to swing a 4 or 5 pound machine that may or may not offer a slight advantage. thats just my take on that but to each his on.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:14 AM
Supporter

Ive got nails on top of targets in my test garden and the deus sees them fine, that small speck of ferrous comment you made about blinding the deus I would like to see a video or some kinda of live demo where that happens on a 8inch target. I dig non ferrous targets sometimes that have four or five nails in the same hole. I dont know if I buy what your saying about a small SPECK of ferrous blinding the deus. I cant duplicate that in my test garden but will have to try a nickel at 8 ,I have one at 5 with nails all around it and the machine blasts it.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:18 AM
Banned

Ive got nails on top of targets in my test garden and the deus sees them fine, that small speck of ferrous comment you made about blinding the deus I would like to see a video or some kinda of live demo where that happens on a 8inch target. I dig non ferrous targets sometimes that have four or five nails in the same hole. I dont know if I buy what your saying about a small SPECK of ferrous blinding the deus. I cant duplicate that in my test garden but will have to try a nickel at 8 ,I have one at 5 with nails all around it and the machine blasts it.
How old is the test bed, again, you have to take into consideration that YOUR soil mineralization and someone elses soil are different, coupled with the HALO effect of old iron vs planted nails will affect the results differently from place to place, and even from area to area at the same dig site.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:21 PM
Elite Member

Well,
Iron dust can indeed mimicking mineral,,,the way it affects typical Vlf detectors.

PI units not so much.

I'll put it this way,,,take any site,,take a GPX in and digging every signal period in the site.

Then go back in with Vlf and see what you find.

And on another site,,,dig every signal period with Vlf,,,then go back in with GPX and hunt.

Results may be surprising.

How about coins on edge,,,especially lower conductive coins,,,,PI unit likely to trounce depth wise vs any Vlf detector.

I do agree,,,from a practical standpoint,,,Vlf may be best choice,,,but on paper not necessarily.

Some nice finds have been had by PI users too,,,and some nice junk and ferrous as well.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:49 PM
Supporter

I get what your saying about the iron dust, like when you dig it out and its started decaying ,I got what your saying now.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:19 PM
Sponsor

Lots of good info here.

For me the XP Deus is not about depth. It is the best iron and trash machine on the market. It and the CTX 3030 are 2 machines I take EVERY time I hunt. They are by far the two top dogs.

What one doent do well the other kicks butt in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
405-206-9010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Authorized

Minelab partner of the year 2012, Customer service awards '12 and '13.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:31 PM
Elite Member

I get what your saying about the iron dust, like when you dig it out and its started decaying ,I got what your saying now.
Yep, and an ultra small piece of nonferrous like foil,,,could mask a deeper coin,,,pulse machine COULD have better chance to sneak through.

As finds get deeper,,,the receive window gets mighty small compared to shallow,,,one of the reasons why deeper finds coil position gets more critical.

And mineral,,,will cause this window of detection to start shrinking too.

Coil hot spot so to speak gets smaller and smaller.

Folks here need to understand,,,take the Deus or any other Vlf detector,,,we'll use Deus,,full tones 0 disc,,,,just because NO tone is provided doesn't mean necessary there isn't some either ferrous or nonferrous material under the coil,,,there in fact could be,,,,but small enough not to set the detector off tonally,,,yet a lurking deeper nonferrous,,or even ferrous could lie beneath.

This smaller nonferrous or ferrous (blocker) could be destroying the signal on the actual normally depth detectable ferrous or nonferrous find that lies beneath.

We CAN'T see or don't know what is going on internally ( with detector circuitry) all the time when the coil is passing over the ground.

Also very possible using a Vlf detector to hunt a site,,,one of these super small ferrous blockers keeps a person from finding a good find,,,,and 10 years later,,this ferrous blocker deteoriates so much,,,the same detector and coil can then detect the good find.

This indeed could be why some sites(old) keep giving up some finds over the passing years--- and maybe not be tied to " supposedly" better detector performance as some might think.

This is slicing hairs,,,but I think it is true.

Calabash,,,keep the vids a coming,,I like them and appreciate.
Also some #9 birdshot could be used and just maybe duplicate some of what had been said.

Last edited by tnsharpshooter; 10-12-2016 at 08:06 PM.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:48 PM
Supporter

I ran some disc today on my heavy iron program and went back over a site I had hit gave up 2 mid tones I missed. thanks for the advice.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:46 PM

IDK about an AT Pro as I have never reviewed or used one...but I am VERY skeptical it would hit 5-6 inches "anything" in my backyard as the Ace 400 would not hit 4 inches in it's review. So I'm guessing blips at 4-5 inches here and there with the ATP...but beyond 5 and into 6....nothing.

I received plenty of private messages about how I must have been doing something wrong from the Garrett Ace faithful. Some quite colorful. Obviously they had no clue what I am really working with here.

It is not like I am being biased either...

F44 (11 and 9 coils)...Land Ranger Pro (11 and 5 coils)...Ace 400 (11 and 8 coils)...none of them can go past 4-5 inches either. AM yes..get tones of course. But no ID past 4 and no tone past 5. My soil is THAT rad.

Deepest detector so far is my wife's Gold Bug. Her 5in DD cuts it like butter...and her Tek 5x10 coil off the G2 does even better. Both coils will ID at 6 inches with I'd say 80% accuracy. I'd dig them every time if it was a real dig.

Take these detectors to your house....they ALL get 8-9-10 inches no problem and her Gold Bug suddenly is bringing up the rear.

As far as a PI...I know I personally will never buy a PI unless they can get disc like a VLF...then I'm all ears. Maybe the Mosca/Cazca can perform some sort of miracle in this hell I call my backyard.

I have not tested my T2 Classic yet...as I want to see the results live when I do the review video this next week. I've dug as deep with it out here as I did with the Deus at parks and schools...9-10 inches. But in my backyard...we shall see.

Bounty Hunter is sending me a new detector to review as well. That review is coming in a week or so also...perhaps it can break into new depth territory the Deus could not hehe.

Last edited by TheHunterGT; 10-13-2016 at 01:07 AM.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:49 AM
Supporter

thanks for the info you liking the new t2? btw did you try goldfield program in your back yard?

Old 10-13-2016, 12:09 PM

Yeah I love the T2...brought me more wheat pennies than I have ever dug. Another Merc as well.

Getting colder now so finally can go hit the relics sites. They have no shade in the summer so parks and schools with trees in the hot months. (My part of Colorado gets 100+ in summer).

I'd have to go watch the video again. Want to say I cycled through all/most of the stock and the custom I had set....but I may have missed one.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:06 PM
Supporter

I really do feel for you guys digging in that kinda of dirt.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:15 PM
Supporter

Also very possible using a Vlf detector to hunt a site,,,one of these super small ferrous blockers keeps a person from finding a good find,,,,and 10 years later,,this ferrous blocker deteoriates so much,,,the same detector and coil can then detect the good find.
I'm a firm believe in that theory. I think a lot of keepers that one pulls from and very hard hit site is the results of surrounding iron that had masked before is now deteriorated to the point where the conductive signal is stronger than the iron that was masking it.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:42 PM

Now show me how it does in high minerals in dry soil at a trashy park when you don't know the exact location of the target.

2 members found this post helpful.