Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-20-2016, 02:55 PM
Oldsjunkie's Avatar
Oldsjunkie Oldsjunkie is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Speedway Indiana
Posts: 1,368
Default Buffing the Buff. (Not in the Buff)

So I posted a while ago about cleaning a key date V Nickel for presentation sake. It's a real shame how bad nickels come out of the ground, especially since some of my favorite coin designs are nicks. Pulled a 1916 Buffalo out of a park earlier this week and wanted to make it pretty before it went into the album. For the love of all that is bologna, please don't do this to a valuable coin! You don't see early Buffs with dates on em real often, so I didn't want to potentially rub the date off this one. I skipped the baking soda paste and went straight to the Gojo pumice cleaner with a soft rag. I worked the reverse first to see how it affected the lettering back there to gauge how the already difficult to see date would take the abrasion. The lettering took it pretty well so I worked both sides a little with some Gojo and water. Came out looking pretty nice. Hoping that shining up the high points would help the presentation of the coin and hopefully the contrast high to low would make the date pop a little. I took after it with a clean rag and some polishing compound. Big difference! You can see the date pretty plainly now, whereas before you had to get the light at just the right angle to read it. Gonna look much better in the album now. As with everything, YMMV. Thanks for looking and HH!

Name:  16bufffront.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  28.2 KB

Name:  16buffback.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  26.1 KB

Name:  16buff1.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  26.5 KB

Name:  16buff2.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  26.9 KB

Name:  16buff3.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  25.8 KB

__________________
Whites MX Sport and M6 - Oldest:1858 Flying eagle cent. 2016:(total) Clad:$67.91($183.42) Silver coins:11(36) Silver jewelry:7(15) Gold jewelry:1(1) Buffalos:1(7) Wheats:51(103) Injuns:2(10) V Nicks:1(4)

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 08-20-2016, 08:17 PM
DougF's Avatar
DougF DougF is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,644
Default

looks great - I might try that, although my buffalos don't look as good as that one when they come out of the ground.

__________________
Explorer SE Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer. Best finds - 1903 Barber half, 1877 and 1878 seated qtrs., 1920, 1946 WL halves, 1925, 1926 SLQs, 1800 large cent, 1809 half cent.

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 08-20-2016, 09:17 PM
Oldsjunkie's Avatar
Oldsjunkie Oldsjunkie is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Speedway Indiana
Posts: 1,368
Default

Originally Posted by DougF View post
looks great - I might try that, although my buffalos don't look as good as that one when they come out of the ground.
Thanks for the compliment! I've got a thread where I did the same thing with a key date V Nickel. It looks pretty good except I went a little further and put some wax on it. I wish I hadn't, but after rubbing on it for a few days, it looks more natural.

__________________
Whites MX Sport and M6 - Oldest:1858 Flying eagle cent. 2016:(total) Clad:$67.91($183.42) Silver coins:11(36) Silver jewelry:7(15) Gold jewelry:1(1) Buffalos:1(7) Wheats:51(103) Injuns:2(10) V Nicks:1(4)

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 08-24-2016, 10:29 AM
cellrdwellr's Avatar
cellrdwellr cellrdwellr is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Worcester County, MA
Posts: 8,414
Default

Looks good! I found a V and a buff last night might have to give that a try! Thanks for sharing!

__________________
☆ML Etrac 2017☆
*W-476~IH-55~2CP-6~LC-10~HC-2*
•Silva-102~Ster-29~Halfs-4•
☆2-Shield~15-V's~18-Buff☆

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 08-25-2016, 06:19 PM
Oldsjunkie's Avatar
Oldsjunkie Oldsjunkie is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Speedway Indiana
Posts: 1,368
Default

Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
Looks good! I found a V and a buff last night might have to give that a try! Thanks for sharing!
No problem! Just finished up an 1899 V that I pulled from the same yard that the 1886 V came from, but about four years back. It's in phenomenal condition and I wanted it to present well for my little display. Same Gojo and polishing compound procedure. Wish I had passed on the compound on this coin because it looked more natural beforehand. Still shows well though.

Before
Name:  obversebefore.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  21.1 KB

Name:  reversebefore.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  25.2 KB

After
Name:  obverseafter.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  25.8 KB

Name:  reverseafter.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  28.4 KB

Good luck and HH!

__________________
Whites MX Sport and M6 - Oldest:1858 Flying eagle cent. 2016:(total) Clad:$67.91($183.42) Silver coins:11(36) Silver jewelry:7(15) Gold jewelry:1(1) Buffalos:1(7) Wheats:51(103) Injuns:2(10) V Nicks:1(4)


Last edited by Oldsjunkie; 08-26-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 08-25-2016, 11:45 PM
cellrdwellr's Avatar
cellrdwellr cellrdwellr is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Worcester County, MA
Posts: 8,414
Default

Originally Posted by Oldsjunkie View post
No problem! Just finished up an 1899 V that I pulled from the same yard that the 1886 came from about four years back. It's in phenomenal condition and I wanted it to present well for my little display. Same Gojo and polishing compound procedure. Wish I had passed on the compound on this coin because it looked more natural beforehand. Still shows well though.

Before
Attachment 359818

Attachment 359819

After
Attachment 359820

Attachment 359821

Good luck and HH!
Wow! That thing looks amazing! Can't wait to try it out!

__________________
☆ML Etrac 2017☆
*W-476~IH-55~2CP-6~LC-10~HC-2*
•Silva-102~Ster-29~Halfs-4•
☆2-Shield~15-V's~18-Buff☆

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 08-26-2016, 12:11 AM
Oldsjunkie's Avatar
Oldsjunkie Oldsjunkie is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Speedway Indiana
Posts: 1,368
Default

Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
Wow! That thing looks amazing! Can't wait to try it out!
Thanks cellr! I'm pretty happy with the way this one turned out. The contrast of the high to low areas really make it pop, which is what I was looking for in this coin. The display I'm planning to put together for this dream site I've been so fortunate to get on should come out great with these nickels being so pretty now.

__________________
Whites MX Sport and M6 - Oldest:1858 Flying eagle cent. 2016:(total) Clad:$67.91($183.42) Silver coins:11(36) Silver jewelry:7(15) Gold jewelry:1(1) Buffalos:1(7) Wheats:51(103) Injuns:2(10) V Nicks:1(4)

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 08-26-2016, 12:34 AM
Ohiodigger's Avatar
Ohiodigger Ohiodigger is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: SE Ohio
Posts: 1,273
Default

Wow that's amazing!!! That V is beautiful!! I have an old shield nickel.....I didn't dig it but it's toasted....gonna have to try that on it....can't make it any worse...thanks for sharing!!

__________________
YTD (2017)-Clad ($8.91), Silver coins (0), Wheaties (0), IH (0), Oldest coin 1896 Indian Head
Whites MXT, BH Tracker IV. Garrett Pro Pointer AT

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 08-26-2016, 12:47 AM
Oldsjunkie's Avatar
Oldsjunkie Oldsjunkie is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Speedway Indiana
Posts: 1,368
Default

Originally Posted by Ohiodigger View post
Wow that's amazing!!! That V is beautiful!! I have an old shield nickel.....I didn't dig it but it's toasted....gonna have to try that on it....can't make it any worse...thanks for sharing!!
Thanks a lot! Anything I can do to contribute is an honor. Yeah, when they already look rough and aren't a valuable piece, it's nice to have them look pretty. I love coins and the Vs, shields and 2 centers are some of my favorites so this really makes them something worth showing the album off for. Good luck and HH!

__________________
Whites MX Sport and M6 - Oldest:1858 Flying eagle cent. 2016:(total) Clad:$67.91($183.42) Silver coins:11(36) Silver jewelry:7(15) Gold jewelry:1(1) Buffalos:1(7) Wheats:51(103) Injuns:2(10) V Nicks:1(4)

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 08-26-2016, 12:58 AM
Ice Scratcher's Avatar
Ice Scratcher Ice Scratcher is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 16,901
Default

I believe there are plenty of cases where cleaning a coin will not hurt a thing, and actually make it worth more, at least worth something...

Nice work man!!

<°)))>{
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 08-26-2016, 01:22 AM
Oldsjunkie's Avatar
Oldsjunkie Oldsjunkie is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Speedway Indiana
Posts: 1,368
Default

Originally Posted by Ice Scratcher View post
I believe there are plenty of cases where cleaning a coin will not hurt a thing, and actually make it worth more, at least worth something...

Nice work man!!

<°)))>{
Nail on the head there Ice!! Thanks for the kind words.

__________________
Whites MX Sport and M6 - Oldest:1858 Flying eagle cent. 2016:(total) Clad:$67.91($183.42) Silver coins:11(36) Silver jewelry:7(15) Gold jewelry:1(1) Buffalos:1(7) Wheats:51(103) Injuns:2(10) V Nicks:1(4)

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 08-26-2016, 06:42 PM
Bobmc1968's Avatar
Bobmc1968 Bobmc1968 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rutland, MA
Posts: 548
Default

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. If it's not a key date coin or something valuable, I love showing people my 2x2s with pretty, shiny coins as opposed to the blackened state in which most of my silvers come out of the ground! I'm never going to sell my collection so I think they look better with some luster to them. Personal opinion only, and it's not up for debate. Great looking coins olds! keep up the great work! HH! If it looks like shizz, give it a whizz!!

__________________
White's DFX -Garrett Ace 250 ...Garrett Pro Pinpointer Treasure found- A little/ Time spent looking- Lots/ Time wasted- NONE!!

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #13  
Old 08-26-2016, 07:22 PM
Oldsjunkie's Avatar
Oldsjunkie Oldsjunkie is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Speedway Indiana
Posts: 1,368
Default

Originally Posted by Bobmc1968 View post
Great looking coins olds! keep up the great work! HH! If it looks like shizz, give it a whizz!!
Thanks! Luckily the Indiana soil is pretty friendly to silver and it usually comes out nice and shiny. I'm stealing that line though!! HH!

__________________
Whites MX Sport and M6 - Oldest:1858 Flying eagle cent. 2016:(total) Clad:$67.91($183.42) Silver coins:11(36) Silver jewelry:7(15) Gold jewelry:1(1) Buffalos:1(7) Wheats:51(103) Injuns:2(10) V Nicks:1(4)

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 08-26-2016, 08:21 PM
Bobmc1968's Avatar
Bobmc1968 Bobmc1968 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rutland, MA
Posts: 548
Default

Feel free to steal what you like!

__________________
White's DFX -Garrett Ace 250 ...Garrett Pro Pinpointer Treasure found- A little/ Time spent looking- Lots/ Time wasted- NONE!!

Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 08-26-2016, 10:24 PM
Oldsjunkie's Avatar
Oldsjunkie Oldsjunkie is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Speedway Indiana
Posts: 1,368
Default

Originally Posted by Bobmc1968 View post
Feel free to steal what you like!
Hey, that's not what my parole officer says...I kid, I kid!!

__________________
Whites MX Sport and M6 - Oldest:1858 Flying eagle cent. 2016:(total) Clad:$67.91($183.42) Silver coins:11(36) Silver jewelry:7(15) Gold jewelry:1(1) Buffalos:1(7) Wheats:51(103) Injuns:2(10) V Nicks:1(4)

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 09-08-2016, 05:13 PM
Uncletroy Uncletroy is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 541
Default

wow it looks great!
Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 09-08-2016, 09:52 PM
Oldsjunkie's Avatar
Oldsjunkie Oldsjunkie is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Speedway Indiana
Posts: 1,368
Default

Originally Posted by Uncletroy View post
wow it looks great!
Thanks! Pretty happy with the results on both these pieces.

__________________
Whites MX Sport and M6 - Oldest:1858 Flying eagle cent. 2016:(total) Clad:$67.91($183.42) Silver coins:11(36) Silver jewelry:7(15) Gold jewelry:1(1) Buffalos:1(7) Wheats:51(103) Injuns:2(10) V Nicks:1(4)

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 11-20-2016, 08:25 AM
Mr. Digger's Avatar
Mr. Digger Mr. Digger is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 440
Default

Originally Posted by Oldsjunkie View post
So I posted a while ago about cleaning a key date V Nickel for presentation sake. It's a real shame how bad nickels come out of the ground, especially since some of my favorite coin designs are nicks. Pulled a 1916 Buffalo out of a park earlier this week and wanted to make it pretty before it went into the album. For the love of all that is bologna, please don't do this to a valuable coin! You don't see early Buffs with dates on em real often, so I didn't want to potentially rub the date off this one. I skipped the baking soda paste and went straight to the Gojo pumice cleaner with a soft rag. I worked the reverse first to see how it affected the lettering back there to gauge how the already difficult to see date would take the abrasion. The lettering took it pretty well so I worked both sides a little with some Gojo and water. Came out looking pretty nice. Hoping that shining up the high points would help the presentation of the coin and hopefully the contrast high to low would make the date pop a little. I took after it with a clean rag and some polishing compound. Big difference! You can see the date pretty plainly now, whereas before you had to get the light at just the right angle to read it. Gonna look much better in the album now. As with everything, YMMV. Thanks for looking and HH!

Nice work on this nickels. Any chance you (or someone) could chime in with more specifics on the exact GoJo product used and perhaps a brand name on this polishing agent? For example if you look up GoJo you find a family of products...some liquid some powder. I love these great cleaning tip posts, but it can be hard to follow through on them once you decide you want to find and buy the products if you don't know EXACTLY which one you are looking for. Maybe post an image of them? That would really help allot. Thanks!

__________________
Oldest Coin: 1693 William & Mary Halfpenny
Oldest Silver: 1751 Fernando VI One Reale
Oldest US Coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
Oldest US Silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime

Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 11-21-2016, 09:44 AM
rreahard's Avatar
rreahard rreahard is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 5,262
Default

Those look really nice! Great job on the cleaning!
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.