Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 12-16-2015, 08:58 AM
Supporter

Default Bike Roller buys me Detecting Time!

The Wife has a Trike, cost more than my car, now wants a roller so she can ride it in the house, for 'exercise' or some damn thing..I suggested perhaps I could toss some Christmas lights up on the roof for a landing strip of sorts, and she could bundle up and take a few spins around the block on her broom every so often! Sweep the snow off the roof while you are at it!

After I woke up, I stumbled down to the bike store and the clerk shows me a bike roller...$250! "Ugoddabeshiddinme!?" I stated, (which is an old Ojibwa term used as both a question and a statement of incredulity).

For a few bars and two rollers? So down to the local lumber yard I went...found a pair of these roller stands, $15ea...took them home and opened them up to see what I could use...I needed the rollers for sure, so I sort of diddled around looking at what else I might use, a few hours and one 25oz BudLight later this thing showed up!

It works great! I gotta saw off those long bolts, but hey, prototyping can be ugly at first...The Wife loves it, and I saved myself some big money, plus, I can hunt with no sass or feedback for a few weeks I reckon..until it snows anyway, that roof aint gonna sweep itself!..
Mud
Attached Images

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Last edited by Mud-puppy; 12-16-2015 at 10:03 AM.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:00 AM
Supporter

Oh...the snow picture was from last Spring...its not here yet, but it should be showing up soon...
Mud
Attached Images

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:22 AM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Pretty ingenious.
An old Indian term, huh?
You crack me up...so glad I got you to move over here.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:38 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by DIGGER27 View post
An old Indian term, huh?
You crack me up...so glad I got you to move over here.
I know you have both heard and used this as well, commonly used in your area...
For those reading that may not be as well versed as we are in the ancient Native tongue, the correct reply to "Ugoddabeshiddinme" is: "Aye-ain-shidnya"

Alabama is full of gifted Native Tongue linguists...You can experience a common query on your very first trip to any Waffle House south of the Tennessee River.

The waitress will approach and ask:
"Whatcha-wanta-eet?" You reply: "GrissBissutts-N-graybee" ...She will then acknowledge that she has understood your request, signify that she recognizes you as another Tribe member, and inform you that your transaction is complete with the simple utterance of: "Eitden"

Alabama is so easy! Minnesotans and New Yorkers speak complete gibberish!

Mud

Last edited by Mud-puppy; 12-16-2015 at 09:54 AM.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:12 AM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Yea...been living in the south for over 30 years and still can't quite get a handle on the native language.
When my wife asks me to get her a "pien", I still don't know if she is planning on writing a letter or sewing on a button.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:14 AM
Elite Member

Nice job and mcgivering going on there.

two Excals 2, one Excal 1000, two Excal Swords, AT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug pro, Tesoror Lobos Super trac, Etrac, Ace 250, AT pro pointer carot, two pro pointer and GPX .THE NEXT SWING COULD BE BLING.....

Old 12-16-2015, 10:38 AM
Elite Member

Love the native sayings!
ALWAYS nice to save some serious coin on a project, great work!

Old 12-16-2015, 11:19 AM
Elite Member

Way to go building the "go nowhere as fast as you want" bike rollers.. That's some good money saved there!

Don't tell your wife, but you should adjust the brakes so they rub a little more every week for increased resistance and better health... Then before she takes it outside this spring take the brake off... Maybe she'll pull a wheelie at first lol....

<)))>{

Old 12-16-2015, 12:33 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Ice Scratcher View post
Way to go building the "go nowhere as fast as you want" bike rollers.. That's some good money saved there!

Don't tell your wife, but you should adjust the brakes so they rub a little more every week for increased resistance and better health... Then before she takes it outside this spring take the brake off... Maybe she'll pull a wheelie at first lol....

<)))>{
Theres no rear brakes on a Terratrike silly! only front ones, and they are discs! Although now you got me thinking here, perhaps I can rig these rollers up to spin a coin tumbler?

Trikes are low and slow, impractical, cant jump a curb worth a damn, stupid actually, constantly requiring upgrades and diddling around with settings. All sorts of outrageously expensive accessories! Marketed to old out of shape rich dopes with nothing better to do than waste time and piss away money with little to no chances of payback!....Plus, once you get one, you have to really use your @ss muscles to make it work!

Sheesh! We were talking Trikes, but I just described myself, most of you, and metal detectors in one paragraph without even trying!...Just replace "Trikes are" with "Iam" or "My detector is" and reread for full effect!...
Mud

Old 12-16-2015, 12:40 PM
Elite Member

My place is stacked with slow bikes of a different breed..

This is my 49dx I restored, paint and all...

<)))>{
Attached Images

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:43 PM
Supporter

My place is stacked with slow bikes of a different breed..

This is my 49dx I restored, paint and all...

<)))>{
Thats a beauty there Ice! I love that bike! In fact, back in 1980 I bought the exact same model at a garage sale in St Cloud MN and like you, restored it to its original luster...then sold it in need of money at a loss to some unappreciative btard....

There aint nothing better than those old springer heavies! A guy can make a living with an honest bike underfoot, or get out of town for free if need be....Nice!
Mud

Old 12-16-2015, 01:06 PM
Elite Member

Thanks man..

This is one I'm building for when I get real lazy/stupid...

<)))>{
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2015, 01:34 PM
Supporter

Well...I know where you can get a set of Michigan made rollers for you to tinker in the carb for @$250 dollars!...'Mudpuppy Enterprises' delivered even!

Bikes are really something best appreciated and experienced by time in saddle!...for 3yrs (right before I met my Wife) I never owned a car, rode bike everywhere, had a stinky pile of money THIS high as you can imagine! No gas, no insurance!

I once read an article pertaining to the discussion regarding Earth creatures energy output mobility quotient on this Planet, in terms of covering a lot of ground with the least amount of effort, the Condor is at the top, Humans in their natural form, rank near the bottom in travel efficiency right down there with box turtles!...However, you put a Human on a bicycle, and buddy, you got something that rivals a Condor!!

Bikes sure have evolved just in our lifetime, carbon fibre, ergonomics, gears up the wazoo...we got these really fat expensive cruisers up here on the West Mi beaches that would make Gary Klein blush! Some of them are Electric drive even! Amazing...Maybe I'll drop a trolling motor battery and a golf cart motor on the Wifes Terratrike someday? Sure have enjoyed this dialog today!
Mud

Old 12-17-2015, 12:54 AM
Elite Member

Nice work, mud!

Man, I want a tadpole... Good on your wife for staying fit!

Old 12-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Elite Member

Great job mud! You should take the money you saved and put it in your beer and gas fund. 😊

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Old 12-19-2015, 08:37 PM
Elite Member

Way to save some dough Mudpuppy.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:36 AM

You could probably sell those. Put her to work. You make and she sells. E-bay?
Plus she actually uses it. Nice work.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:02 PM
Elite Member

Talking

Thanks man..

<)))>{
For people who can't get skinned body parts fast enough.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:25 PM

WOW Mud--is That the lil lady??

Old 12-18-2016, 03:28 AM
Supporter

Thanks man..

<)))>{
Gotcha beat, Ice. Built this prototype about 10 years ago when gas was $4 a gallon, on a Schwinn. 49cc so no license, insurance, registration or inspection needed here. 150 miles per gallon and a cruisin speed of 30mph!

Nice job, Mud! $250 for stationary rollers is stupid.