Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 01-16-2014, 03:59 PM
Supporter

The motor adds the abilitiy to feel an alert. Helpful when wearing headphones. Just like having your cellphone on vibrate. Disabling the speaker allows for stealth mode when others are nearby.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:47 PM

got mine a little modded up today
been needing a PP and dont have the cash for a new Garrett so had the old Harbor Freight PP laying around but like most the power button was bad. so off to radio shack i went today.
picked up a button but they didnt have any viberating motors. so got home and got the button put in and all of it worked well speaker still works also but with headphones sometimes it can be tough to hear the speaker.
so what i did was i tied in 2 wires with the wires on the speaker, i removed the led terminals from the circut board and tied the led to the speaker. now when it sounds off the led lights up as well.
when radio shack gets in one of the motors im going to work on putting it in as well
so far its working well and hopefully will suit me for quite a while.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:44 AM

The speaker does draw attention.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:09 PM

Does anyone have one of the thermistors that is talked about on this thread,you might want to sell?
Does anybody have picture of the thermistor soldered on the board?

Old 03-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by luked View post
got mine a little modded up today
been needing a PP and dont have the cash for a new Garrett so had the old Harbor Freight PP laying around but like most the power button was bad. so off to radio shack i went today.
picked up a button but they didnt have any viberating motors. so got home and got the button put in and all of it worked well speaker still works also but with headphones sometimes it can be tough to hear the speaker.
so what i did was i tied in 2 wires with the wires on the speaker, i removed the led terminals from the circut board and tied the led to the speaker. now when it sounds off the led lights up as well.
when radio shack gets in one of the motors im going to work on putting it in as well
so far its working well and hopefully will suit me for quite a while.
I've never had to replace the button on mine yet..but I have had to clean it a couple of times... one tip that will help with the button is .. you can remove the switch, then cut a finger tip off of a latex glove and cover the switch the reinstall the switch.. this will keep dirt from entering the switch and damaging it..

Old 03-07-2014, 02:46 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by pan4au View post
I've never had to replace the button on mine yet..but I have had to clean it a couple of times... one tip that will help with the button is .. you can remove the switch, then cut a finger tip off of a latex glove and cover the switch the reinstall the switch.. this will keep dirt from entering the switch and damaging it..
Excellent idea, I'll do that to mine.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Elite Member

Default my cen-tech~

i replaced button witha forklift seat preasure switch, and installed a vibrator motor from a cell phone.....works great its my first and only pinpointer ive used (to give you an idea on longevity) vibrates and lights up still after all these years. and my motor is wired directly to the power for the led lights( no resistors used) and the forklift seat switch is waterproof and very tough.~~
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Elite Member

Exclamation almost forgot.....

the adjustment dail..... i put a plastic washer down over the knob then used a black rubber vacum cap (automotive) pressed down against the washer to keep out moisture and dust... works awsome!!
Attached Images

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Riffmeister View post
i replaced button witha forklift seat preasure switch, and installed a vibrator motor from a cell phone.....works great its my first and only pinpointer ive used (to give you an idea on longevity) vibrates and lights up still after all these years. and my motor is wired directly to the power for the led lights( no resistors used) and the forklift seat switch is waterproof and very tough.~~
I think the clover stickers are the best mod!

Old 03-18-2014, 09:18 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by BentRod View post
I think the clover stickers are the best mod!
hahahha , ya mine is pretty fugly

Old 05-10-2015, 02:05 PM

Gain ~1/4" mod.

Remove the end cap buy getting a thin blade and slowly prying upwards going all the way around. Eventually it will come off.

Once off, you will see about a 1/4" gap (could be more, depends on where it was set) from the end of the rod inside to the end of the pvc.

Measure the depth and mark it along the outside of the pvc. Trim it down with a saw to where the rod is now flush with the pvc. Now trim the cap the same amount (it is plenty long), remove the craft glue from inside then put it back on.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:56 AM

Have you seen an increase in range?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:11 AM

Now this was a great post even tho 2008 .this is what i am seeking as a great forum.will try to do such projects soon with pics aswell.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:28 PM

I've modded 2 of these already with vibrate motors and new switches. Just spend the money and get a real one...These really dont hold a candle to my garrett at pin pointer. I save the cheap ones for friends.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:10 AM
Supporter

I agree that the HF doesn't compare to the carrot but it's a lo0t better than the hand to coil method of sorting through a plug. I modded mine with the switch change, vibrating motor, tip protector, larger sensitivity knob and moved the speaker into the wand opening to quiet it down. It'll be a back up for sure now that I own a carrot and if some one else comes along that wants to try the sport it will cut down on their search time. It's a good cheap way to begin in my opinion.