Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Fort Bedford Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-05-2014, 01:37 PM
CoiltoSoil's Avatar
CoiltoSoil CoiltoSoil is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 3,351
Default

I never seen a nation so obsessed with making cheap counterfeit copies of items. Maybe they should invest more time in quality built innovative products instead of making cheap knockoffs of others hard work and creativity. I refuse to buy any detecting equipment from anyone other than certified dealers now, I would even worry buying used items now unless proof of purchase was provided. They have copies of most Fishers, & Minelabs flooding the market which is going to make buying used detectors very difficult for us all in the near future.

__________________
Minelab E-trac, Whites V3i, Fisher F-75 (stock and 6.5 coil), Minelab Explorer XS, Gray Ghost Phones.

Reply With Quote


  #22  
Old 03-21-2014, 05:35 PM
yrekadude's Avatar
yrekadude yrekadude is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Gatos CA
Posts: 556
Default

Just curious - how good do the fake ones work?

__________________
--- E-Trac - TDI SL, MXT, Garrett Pro-pointer ---

Reply With Quote


  #23  
Old 03-21-2014, 06:48 PM
MadTownScoop's Avatar
MadTownScoop MadTownScoop is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: McFarland, Wi
Posts: 1,138
Default

Originally Posted by Charlesp54 View post
Just buy from Brat at Big Boy his price and service will out shine anyone else.

Sent from my LGL35G using Tapatalk 2
"Brat" from Big Boys??? LOL. Someone was typing too fast. OR was he? LOL

__________________
AT-Gold, MXT-Pro. '17 $39.94, Gold , Silver 1, WB 4, Other.925 ,Tokens, total coins 636

Reply With Quote


  #24  
Old 03-21-2014, 08:20 PM
popatop's Avatar
popatop popatop is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SW Kansas
Posts: 361
Default

You decide


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5flJlZkrI1A

__________________
Learning the AT Pro.

Reply With Quote


  #25  
Old 03-22-2014, 07:13 PM
MrSmith MrSmith is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 20
Default

Wow. What haven't they tried to copy?
Reply With Quote


  #26  
Old 03-29-2014, 09:42 PM
R2T2's Avatar
R2T2 R2T2 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Posts: 8
Default

Dear friend, Thank you for this information review. Future we will try very harder. Please keep Minelab serial numbers viewing in advertising as we need many more. We kindly reguard you for your purchase. Truly to yours Susie W
Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #27  
Old 03-30-2014, 01:02 AM
Rudy's Avatar
Rudy Rudy is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beaumont, CA
Posts: 24,268
Default

Moved this thread out of the classifieds as nothing is being sold by the OP.

__________________
HH, Rudy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Marriage, an institution where one person is always right and the other one is a husband.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Reply With Quote


  #28  
Old 04-06-2014, 04:53 PM
SilverKarn SilverKarn is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Door County Wisconsin
Posts: 33
Default

I'm going to be honest, if china came out with a counterfeit PP that worked like the genuine one but for half the cost, i would buy the counterfeit one.

There is no reason the PP should cost more than 50-60 dollars. No reason other than the companies have the market cornered and can demand what vendors pay/sell the item for.
Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #29  
Old 04-06-2014, 05:23 PM
popatop's Avatar
popatop popatop is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SW Kansas
Posts: 361
Default

Originally Posted by SilverKarn View post
I'm going to be honest, if china came out with a counterfeit PP that worked like the genuine one but for half the cost, i would buy the counterfeit one.

There is no reason the PP should cost more than 50-60 dollars. No reason other than the companies have the market cornered and can demand what vendors pay/sell the item for.
I agree 100%

__________________
Learning the AT Pro.

Reply With Quote


  #30  
Old 04-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Tin-Tin's Avatar
Tin-Tin Tin-Tin is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Muskegon Mi
Posts: 756
Default

Originally Posted by SilverKarn View post
I'm going to be honest, if china came out with a counterfeit PP that worked like the genuine one but for half the cost, i would buy the counterfeit one.

There is no reason the PP should cost more than 50-60 dollars. No reason other than the companies have the market cornered and can demand what vendors pay/sell the item for.
In truth it all comes down to "Supply and Demand". Anyone who buys a MD, and sticks with it, will someday end up buying a PP. They know the demand for them, and they supply the price.

We're lucky they are only $127.00, not $250.00.

But I can see your point.

Garrett has the market cornered on the PP. There is nothing we can do about it, just like the gas prices.

You either pay their price, or try to find it used.

Then you run into counterfeit copies that may or may not work, costing you money.

Weigh you options and simply move forward.

__________________
F2/Garrett PP/Jan-April total $55.36. 2 indian, 4 wheaties, 6 gold rings / 4 silver ring, 1 barber dime. "If pulltabs were made of gold, we would all be rich."

Reply With Quote


  #31  
Old 04-06-2014, 07:24 PM
rick-n-ns's Avatar
rick-n-ns rick-n-ns is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 346
Default

Originally Posted by SilverKarn View post
I'm going to be honest, if china came out with a counterfeit PP that worked like the genuine one but for half the cost, i would buy the counterfeit one.

There is no reason the PP should cost more than 50-60 dollars. No reason other than the companies have the market cornered and can demand what vendors pay/sell the item for.
50 to 60 dollars minus the dealers small profit, the distributors small profit, at least two shipping charges, probably 2 or 3 times a credit card company got 3%. At that price Garrett would have to let them out to the distributors at 20 to 25 bucks. There are PP in that price range, only they look like they are worth 5 bucks, No offence, I got one here just to look at it, it tends to get stuck in the holder, gets maybe a half inch of range, needs to be adjusted, and look like the probe end might snap off pretty easy.

Garrett does not have the market cornered, minelab, and whites have very sililar products in the very same price range.

Something is always worth what a willing seller, and buyer agree on, since Garrett has sold many thousands of these units I'd say with those kinds of sales that they are in fact worth it.

If you want one in your price range just buy one of those types.
Reply With Quote


  #32  
Old 04-07-2014, 11:43 PM
montanamuzik's Avatar
montanamuzik montanamuzik is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 1,273
Default

Question is do the fake ones hold up better than the real ones? I have sent mine back to Garrett twice now. I love it....when it works.
Reply With Quote


  #33  
Old 04-19-2014, 09:09 PM
sycotoad sycotoad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 845
Default

Originally Posted by CoiltoSoil View post
I never seen a nation so obsessed with making cheap counterfeit copies of items. Maybe they should invest more time in quality built innovative products instead of making cheap knockoffs of others hard work and creativity. I refuse to buy any detecting equipment from anyone other than certified dealers now, I would even worry buying used items now unless proof of purchase was provided. They have copies of most Fishers, & Minelabs flooding the market which is going to make buying used detectors very difficult for us all in the near future.

You do realise that in most cases the Chinese are simply filling corporate america's orders - I am not sure if you had noticed or not, but MANY western companies get their shite made in China because they love paying next to nothing for labor - How can that be the fault of those big bad Chinese?

Perhaps Minelab & First Texas should reflect on who they climb into bed with when getting their products made ......... Why would you expect a Chinaman to be loyal to a foreigner, when the foreigner turns his back on their own people ......

Simple solution - There are still US dedicated manufacturers that sell fantastic equipment & support locally made product who have not turned to the asians for help - Buy from them
Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #34  
Old 04-23-2014, 01:47 AM
papaharley03 papaharley03 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Near Dallas, TX
Posts: 924
Default

It has a lot to do with the Asian culture. They have a mind set that you share and or copy each other, then compete at the marketing end of the chain. Intellectual property is not a revered thing in their minds.

I have several examples, but it would take too long to type out. I have been informed by various sources over the years that this is how they do things.

Papa

__________________
Garrett ATPro/Garrett ProPointer/Garrett Propointer AT/HF9F/Centech PP Modded/Minelab CTX3030

Reply With Quote


  #35  
Old 04-23-2014, 01:54 AM
Ice Scratcher's Avatar
Ice Scratcher Ice Scratcher is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15,817
Default

Originally Posted by sycotoad View post
You do realise that in most cases the Chinese are simply filling corporate america's orders - I am not sure if you had noticed or not, but MANY western companies get their shite made in China because they love paying next to nothing for labor - How can that be the fault of those big bad Chinese?

Perhaps Minelab & First Texas should reflect on who they climb into bed with when getting their products made ......... Why would you expect a Chinaman to be loyal to a foreigner, when the foreigner turns his back on their own people ......

Simple solution - There are still US dedicated manufacturers that sell fantastic equipment & support locally made product who have not turned to the asians for help - Buy from them
I wish more Americans thought like you!!

Thanks!!

<*)))>{
Reply With Quote


  #36  
Old 04-23-2014, 08:24 AM
sycotoad sycotoad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 845
Default

Originally Posted by papaharley03 View post
It has a lot to do with the Asian culture. They have a mind set that you share and or copy each other, then compete at the marketing end of the chain. Intellectual property is not a revered thing in their minds.

I have several examples, but it would take too long to type out. I have been informed by various sources over the years that this is how they do things.

Papa
And I sir, with all due respect, see companies closing down (frequently) their manufacturing plants & heading off to asia to get their gear made - their reasoning, is that they simply cannot compete with the other companies that headed off to asia before them - its happening all over the western world and its been happening for years - Sure the Chinese might be what you imply them to be, but we are simply feeding the system you describe.........
Reply With Quote


  #37  
Old 04-23-2014, 09:27 AM
Dillinger-63's Avatar
Dillinger-63 Dillinger-63 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: North Central Illinois
Posts: 23
Default

I recently bought two from one of this sites advertisers and no issues at all. I was told the difference were the beeps when you turn them on and the real deal vibrates, those from China do not. I've learned long ago, that you get what you pay for and it's a pay me now or pay me later situation. I'd rather pay more upfront from someone who has been in the business for quite awhile than some new guy who just started selling stuff on eBay at half the price.
Reply With Quote


  #38  
Old 04-23-2014, 11:40 AM
papaharley03 papaharley03 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Near Dallas, TX
Posts: 924
Default

Originally Posted by sycotoad View post
And I sir, with all due respect, see companies closing down (frequently) their manufacturing plants & heading off to asia to get their gear made - their reasoning, is that they simply cannot compete with the other companies that headed off to asia before them - its happening all over the western world and its been happening for years - Sure the Chinese might be what you imply them to be, but we are simply feeding the system you describe.........
Oh you are exactly right. My former employer did that. Moved all US production to Singapore. I was also laid off in 1985 when our semiconductor company could no longer compete with the price of DRAM memory coming from Japanese companies. Of course, they were later found to be dumping memory at a loss in order to run us out of business. That's the marketing side of things that I mentioned. In the US, and I suspect NZ, companies hold tight to their intellectual property and manufacturing processes. In Japan, they share that knowledge with each other. This was evident last time we were car shopping. I could hardly tell the interior of one Japanese car brand from another because they were so similar.

I share the frustration, but the OP was wondering why they copy everything. My response is that it's engrained into their culture and they don't see the problem.

Another example. Friend of mine lives in Czech Republic and like much of Europe, vendor street fairs are common. Some Vietnamese folks selling counterfeit fashion items get busted by the cops and he says they had a look of bewilderment on their faces like, "What did we do wrong?".

I'm not condoning the behavior, just saying that I gained some realization as to why they copy so much.

Papa

__________________
Garrett ATPro/Garrett ProPointer/Garrett Propointer AT/HF9F/Centech PP Modded/Minelab CTX3030

Reply With Quote


  #39  
Old 04-23-2014, 04:02 PM
ozar ozar is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3
Default

Ouch! I just purchased a Pro-Pointer yesterday and it's due to be delivered tomorrow, but I never thought about the possibility of it being an imposter. I'll report back should it turn out to be a fake unit.

Thanks for posting the alert!

__________________
oz

Reply With Quote


  #40  
Old 04-24-2014, 08:43 PM
sycotoad sycotoad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 845
Default

Originally Posted by MrSmith View post
Wow. What haven't they tried to copy?
The US economy
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who Has Garrett Pro Pointers DoctorTecter Advice on Detector Purchase 8 03-16-2013 02:24 AM
just purchased garrett ace 150. any pointers? keith73 How to Use Your Metal Detector 7 03-03-2006 07:43 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.