Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 01-09-2017, 04:45 PM

Default Detecting seminars and classes. Your thoughts

Thought some of you might be interested in this. I am a full time independent photographer and public speaker. I give about 150 - 200 presentations per/year in Minnesota. My talks incorporate my photos to tell a historic story related to architecture such as old barns and churches.

How does this relate to metal detecting? I decided to come up with a presentation about local history that uses my MD finds to weave an entertaining program. I will show pictures of my finds and also pass around some of my actual relics for the audience to touch and maybe guess the ID.

Was talking to a local county historical society director the other day and she got excited about my new presentation idea and asked if I would be interested in developing a MD day camp for kids. She said she would buy about 10 detectors (through a historic grant) and I would be hired to teach the kids about history through metal detecting.

Although this plan is just being talked about at this time, I thought I would get any feedback from others on this forum. Any thoughts? thanks

"The worlds no better if we worry; life no longer if we hurry"

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:58 PM
Supporter

Talking

Hey, the fact that the historical society director is willing to buy 10 detectors shows she is VERY serious about it.

(just make sure to recommend what you think would be good detectors for the areas you'll be detecting related to the day camp)

This is something that is educational to kids but fun at the same time, and might develop into an ongoing hobby for many of them, which would be better and healthier than them sitting in the house playing video games too much (as in for hours) like some kids do.

Let us know how it goes if you decide to do it !

John 3:5 Acts 2:38
Navy Vet

Old 01-09-2017, 05:15 PM
Supporter

That is a great idea. I agree with GKL, get the kids off the couch.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:33 PM
24K Larry

I know here a cheap metal detector on the beach rents for $55 an hour. And the person doesn't come with it to show you how to use it If that's any useful info for you?

Old 01-09-2017, 08:07 PM
Elite Member

This sounds fantastic! As it sits now, it seems like a heckuva deal.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:01 PM
Supporter

Wow, that sounds like a great opportunity for you, the kids and possibly the historical society. If you have the means perhaps you could even offer to donate your time, which could lead to some great relationships & permissions. If members of the society see you giving your time, it may make them feel more inclined to give you permission for their personal property if you ask.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:03 AM
Elite Member

A few things I would be cautious of:

1) Often times historical societies have archaeologists (or ...at least ... archaeologically minded persons) on their boards of directors. And while some rank & file people might find it a great "fit" for history, yet .... when it comes across some other type's people's desks, I've seen where historical societies (and museums and the like) can BRISTLE at the notion.

2) Since the presentation would be presented in context of a historical society, then needless to say, newbies (who perhaps have connections to the societies research archives, etc...) can unknowingly charge out and tromp on places they shouldn't be. But that's no one's fault, of course. No more the fault of md'ing TV commercials or "Diggers" shows, that can spawn the same sort of innocent recklessness.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:06 AM
Supporter

Lemme be a word of caution to you...I hate to say this, since I love your motives and the concept about getting kids outdoors and interested in history/detecting etc. Nowadays any Adult has to be VERY cautious when dealing with kids...you hear me? You can lose everything just on account of some troubled kid or Parent accusing you of being a Pedo....I'm not here to argue the format, on account of its a huge problem, but on the word of any kid saying you "touched them inappropriately" Your @ss is straight in the slammer, no debate or argument on your part!....

The bummer is kids need Mentors, and they should be outdoors participating in this good clean hobby...the other bummer is you are at extreme risk in the attempt at being a good guy to share your passion and change a kids life for the better...Yeah...big time danger, I hate to say it, but its not worth the risk...Nobody is safe from the State Machine if a kid is so inclined to spout out a bunch of not true and illicited !!!! from a school counselor or social worker... ..not even parents/grandparents...so weigh your decision with this in mind...
Mud

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Elite Member

I am preparing a presentation for a group of young boys who are members of a group called GIG, Guys Inspiring Guys. I'm going to talk about my struggles with vision issues and meeting two blind women who have changed my attitude and then we're going to do some metal detecting. I've found a perfect place to bury some matchbox cars and quarters and then I'll teach them to use an Ace 250 with a sniper coil. The coordinator is very excited about it. I think it'll be fun

Old 01-10-2017, 09:39 AM
Elite Member

Smile

It does sound like a good idea. I also agree with Mud you have to be very careful working with kids.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:01 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Lemme be a word of caution to you...I hate to say this, since I love your motives and the concept about getting kids outdoors and interested in history/detecting etc. Nowadays any Adult has to be VERY cautious when dealing with kids...you hear me? You can lose everything just on account of some troubled kid or Parent accusing you of being a Pedo....I'm not here to argue the format, on account of its a huge problem, but on the word of any kid saying you "touched them inappropriately" Your @ss is straight in the slammer, no debate or argument on your part!....

The bummer is kids need Mentors, and they should be outdoors participating in this good clean hobby...the other bummer is you are at extreme risk in the attempt at being a good guy to share your passion and change a kids life for the better...Yeah...big time danger, I hate to say it, but its not worth the risk...Nobody is safe from the State Machine if a kid is so inclined to spout out a bunch of not true and illicited !!!! from a school counselor or social worker... ..not even parents/grandparents...so weigh your decision with this in mind...
Mud
Originally Posted by graybeard View post
It does sound like a good idea. I also agree with Mud you have to be very careful working with kids.
Mudd does bring up a good point, so IF you do decide to teach that day camp you should INSIST there be at least one other adult present with you at all times (and they can serve as a helper) and maybe even set up a video camera to record your classes and field trips. (maybe use a "GoPro" cam attached to your utility vest when on field trips)

Navy Vet

Old 01-10-2017, 06:56 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by GKL View post
Mudd does bring up a good point, so IF you do decide to teach that day camp you should INSIST there be at least one other adult present with you at all times (and they can serve as a helper) and maybe even set up a video camera to record your classes and field trips. (maybe use a "GoPro" cam attached to your utility vest when on field trips)
Maybe their parent or guardian should always be present.

Anyway, this is a good chance to work on training some of the next generation of hunters. Okay, some will never pick up a detector again.....but the ones that stick with the hobby will have learned correctly.

Teach them how to make a plug correctly and all of the other important issues that we and our hobby are judged by.

Garrett AT Pro and Fisher F70.....Clad- $23.50 1- 185X Flying Eagle Cent, 1818 Largie, 2- Barber Dimes, 2-Mercurys, 1 Rosie, 3 Buffalos, 1 V-Nickel, 9 Indian Heads, 1853 Infantry Button, 28 wheat backs and an 1893 World's Fair Token.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:54 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments. I agree with you all who share some concerns with working with kids. I would never go alone with a group of kids. Will always have another adult (women) with me on any MD activities.

My classes will also be teaching adults as well. As far as the Archeologist questions and concerns, the Historical Society director is a licensed Archeologist and is the motivation behind doing the camps. She thinks metal detecting is a useful tool if done correctly.

Again,

Thanks for all the comments.

"The worlds no better if we worry; life no longer if we hurry"

Old 01-10-2017, 11:00 PM
Elite Member

Grand idea,,,anything to get the younger generation,,,off their duffs,,,out from in front of play stations, etc

Good exercise for them too.

I wish you success and luck.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:50 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Pioneer View post
Thanks everyone for your comments. I agree with you all who share some concerns with working with kids. I would never go alone with a group of kids. Will always have another adult (women) with me on any MD activities.

My classes will also be teaching adults as well. As far as the Archeologist questions and concerns, the Historical Society director is a licensed Archeologist and is the motivation behind doing the camps. She thinks metal detecting is a useful tool if done correctly.

Again,

Thanks for all the comments.
That's great to have an Archeologist that is pro-detectorist (if done correctly of course) Also, good point you specified to have the other adult present be a woman.

Hey, maybe if you made a video of some of your MD classes you could share a few on the forum, it would help the newbies and be a refresher course for everyone else.

Navy Vet