Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 01-09-2017, 01:32 PM
Elite Member

Default A strap to prevent Tennis Elbow

So, as you can guess - I have pretty bad Tennis Elbow. I had pretty much addressed every mechanic, started using a harness, etc to no avail. After doing some more research on the condition, I have come to learn that it is not so much a problem of swinging the detector, but instead an issue of just gripping the detector.

Who would have thunk it? Certainly not me. I figured that gripping issues would be in the inside of the forearm, since that is where the flexors live. But, apparently, the extendors also contract when gripping something so as to stabilize the wrist. And, wouldn't you know it, they tie down at the outside of the elbow. When they are angry with you - Tennis Elbow.

So, what I am doing now is creating a nice, comfortable strap that will attach to the top and bottom of my Detector grip that will hold my hand firmly in place so I don't actually have to GRIP the detector. I will just be able to keep my hand open and swing the detector to my heart's content. Once I finish it, I will post pictures.

I was going to use that plastic they used to package bacon for the structural base of the strap, but, wouldn't you know it - they don't use that plastic backing in bacon anymore. Need to find something else that is pliable, shape-able, and neigh indestructible.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:50 PM

You can buy all sorts of rubber and plastic sheet material on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=3F8K9DD3UBDP6

Old 01-13-2017, 06:18 PM
Elite Member

Why not just a simple nylon strap, looped around the handle, that you could slide your hand through to get the support you're looking for? Kind of like the old ski pole strap, but inverted. But maybe I'm not understanding your idea...

Old 01-13-2017, 06:53 PM
Elite Member

get some velcro and use it on the handle and a glove //

Old 01-18-2017, 10:47 PM
Elite Member

Get a lighter detector lol a deus would fit you perfect

☆1-Shield~10-V's~2-Buff☆

Old 01-19-2017, 12:31 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
Get a lighter detector lol a deus would fit you perfect
It isn't the detector weight. It is the continuously closed fist around the handle. My 3Vi could weigh a pound and the results would be the same.

And besides, there is no way I could survive without all of the info that the 3vi provides - though, if I dug more junk, I would be gripping the handle for shorter periods of time...