Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-10-2017, 03:59 PM
Makromark Makromark is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wales(UK)
Posts: 38
Default

No sorry permit is for beach only,farm's and field's you need permission from land owner not resident farmer.We use an unwritten rule finds of value are shared half and half land owner and finder.
Reply With Quote


  #22  
Old 01-10-2017, 06:22 PM
NectarDetector's Avatar
NectarDetector NectarDetector is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Detecting365
Posts: 7,615
Default

Originally Posted by Makromark View post
No sorry permit is for beach only,farm's and field's you need permission from land owner not resident farmer.We use an unwritten rule finds of value are shared half and half land owner and finder.
Does the landowner share the cost of your metal detector and other gear? What about for your experience, effort, or time?

Oh he didn't want to share all of that half and half?

Seems like that relationship is about one sided!

Where I grew up we had a saying back in the day when someone wanted something of yours...

Reply: "You didn't put in on this, man!"

Can you think of the last time some stranger went and worked all day and gave you half the treasure he earned?

Me either...

__________________
.

Reply With Quote


  #23  
Old 01-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Ace400 Ace400 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ambler, PA
Posts: 181
Default

Originally Posted by NectarDetector View post
Does the landowner share the cost of your metal detector and other gear? What about for your experience, effort, or time?

Oh he didn't want to share all of that half and half?

Seems like that relationship is about one sided!

Where I grew up we had a saying back in the day when someone wanted something of yours...

Reply: "You didn't put in on this, man!"

Can you think of the last time some stranger went and worked all day and gave you half the treasure he earned?

Me either...
One sided? How do you figure? They are letting you on THEIR property. Property that cost them exponentially more than your detector and whatever you think your time is worth. A one sided relationship would be you standing on the other side of the fence looking longingly at their property wishing you could detect there. And no matter what your card or letter or words say, by letting you on their property, they are opening themselves up to potential liability if you were to get hurt while detecting or break something on the property (That water line sure sounded like a coin!). Which is why, on that side of the pond at least, Detectorists carry specific insurance for the hobby.
Reply With Quote


  #24  
Old 01-10-2017, 06:41 PM
NectarDetector's Avatar
NectarDetector NectarDetector is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Detecting365
Posts: 7,615
Default

Originally Posted by Ace400 View post
One sided? How do you figure? They are letting you on THEIR property. Property that cost them exponentially more than your detector and whatever you think your time is worth. A one sided relationship would be you standing on the other side of the fence looking longingly at their property wishing you could detect there. And no matter what your card or letter or words say, by letting you on their property, they are opening themselves up to potential liability if you were to get hurt while detecting. Which is why, on that side of the pond at least, Detectorists carry specific insurance for the hobby.
Why bring up LIABILITY? I never said a word about that.....



I already made my points how it's one sided in my post above this one....

I am not trading my detector and time for how much THEIR PROPERTY is WORTH, unsure why you mention property worth???

I am finding targets in the ground

I would just move on to the next spot where there were no expectations of ME and the things I find!

But to each their own, right!

__________________
.

Reply With Quote


  #25  
Old 01-10-2017, 06:50 PM
Ace400 Ace400 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ambler, PA
Posts: 181
Default

Not following your logic here.
You brought up the cost of your detector, I am countering with the cost of my property.
This is America, we are a litigious society, I am financially responsible for anyone who gets hurt on my property (well, my homeowners insurance is, at any rate).
Also, MakroMark is in the UK where the 50/50 landowner split is the norm for a private property permission.
Reply With Quote


  #26  
Old 01-10-2017, 07:27 PM
NectarDetector's Avatar
NectarDetector NectarDetector is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Detecting365
Posts: 7,615
Default

Originally Posted by Ace400 View post
Not following your logic here.
You brought up the cost of your detector, I am countering with the cost of my property.
This is America, we are a litigious society, I am financially responsible for anyone who gets hurt on my property (well, my homeowners insurance is, at any rate).
Also, MakroMark is in the UK where the 50/50 landowner split is the norm for a private property permission.
Let me break it down...

If a person didn't make an investment on something he doesn't deserve a return!

When I am in parks sometimes people will say "If YOU find a gold ring, it's Mine"

I REALIZE IT's FRIENDLY BANTER, but... the thing is, we pay for our gear, have thousands of dollars wrapped up in our gear, years of experience, years of research.... yet the person says "If you find something it's mine"

Well, what was THEIR investment into all of my equipment and experience? Where is their effort in learning how to find specific targets?
And what makes them think we OWE them something is my LOGIC here.

I learned it from someone on the forum, but one day in a park a guy who appeared drunk yells to me "If you find a gold ring, its MINE!"

I casually said to him "Well, my machine cost $600, did you want to pay for your half of the detector right now, or after I find the ring?" and smiled!

He turned and walked away, suddenly he didn't want his half of the work, but yet earlier wanted all of the reward.

I think one important thing is missing here: I am a pirate,

I didn't make all of the monetary and time investments into my hobby so you can reap the rewards! I did it so I could reap the rewards on my time, money and effort. If I give you something I find, it's because I wanted to, but I don't owe anyone or any landowner any of my finds I made the investment into.

I return things I want to, like class ring and military dog tags, but I personally feel like what I find is mine, since I found it and made the investment into it.

A persons property value has ZERO bearing on what I do with my finds. As far as liability, I don't owe the guy anything because of a potential liability!

"What does THAT got to do with ME, Smokeyyyyy?"

As Ice Cube said to Smokey in FRIDAY when smokey kept bringing up irrelevant points in a conversation.

Liability isn't my problem, nor did I ever mention it in my post, Unsure why you keep bringing up liability, i am talking about FINDS!

__________________
.

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.