Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Notices

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 01-06-2017, 07:41 PM
zeemang zeemang is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South of there
Posts: 17,275
Default

Awesome work man! Wondering what would hapen if instead of welding a gooseneck you cut a slit in the bottom of the handle and an appropriate sized notch in the top of the foot pad so it could slide over and then weld on both sides?

__________________
Excal II, Sov GT, X terra 705, e trac, woowhoo!
Living the American dream, just a bit further south...

Reply With Quote


  #42  
Old 01-07-2017, 09:12 AM
oblivion321's Avatar
oblivion321 oblivion321 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Binghamton area
Posts: 108
Default

Originally Posted by zeemang View post
Awesome work man! Wondering what would hapen if instead of welding a gooseneck you cut a slit in the bottom of the handle and an appropriate sized notch in the top of the foot pad so it could slide over and then weld on both sides?
I was thinking about that for another project. I think it may be a good idea. With these I was trying to somewhat replicate the Sampson while just winging it at the same time. I may try to build a good hand digger when these are completed and might use you're idea.
Reply With Quote


  #43  
Old 01-07-2017, 12:40 PM
zeemang zeemang is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South of there
Posts: 17,275
Default

Again, awesome work, i wish i could fab like that...

__________________
Excal II, Sov GT, X terra 705, e trac, woowhoo!
Living the American dream, just a bit further south...

Reply With Quote


  #44  
Old 06-02-2017, 05:03 PM
Rattlehead's Avatar
Rattlehead Rattlehead is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cave Spring, GA USA
Posts: 2,445
Default

Hey, looks real nice. Couple of questions for you: Is that just 11 GA mild steel that you used for the blade? Now that you've had a chance to use the shovel for a while, how well is it holding up? Any bending? You mentioned that it was a bit heavy.. Do you think thats due to the thickness of the pipe you used for the handle or the thickness of the blade?

I'm working on a shovel of my own so I'd like to hear your feedback. I know the ones from Predator and Lesche are made from 4130, heat treated and tempered so I'm really curious how well plain old mild steel will hold up after some heavy use. I'd like to make mine as light as possible while still being durable so still debating on what thickness to use for the blade. The blade on my Sampson mics at .104 so I was thinking of using 12ga.

The one I designed will be sort of a cross between a Sampson and the Predator Tools Ranger. A little more aggressive and longer than the Sampson, but not as big and bulky as the Ranger.

Thanks!
Attached Images
 

__________________
MINELAB CTX3030 | XP DĒUS | GARRETT ATPRO | PRO-POINTER AT | MI-6


Last edited by Rattlehead; 06-02-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #45  
Old 06-04-2017, 01:14 PM
oblivion321's Avatar
oblivion321 oblivion321 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Binghamton area
Posts: 108
Default

Originally Posted by Rattlehead View post
Hey, looks real nice. Couple of questions for you: Is that just 11 GA mild steel that you used for the blade? Now that you've had a chance to use the shovel for a while, how well is it holding up? Any bending? You mentioned that it was a bit heavy.. Do you think thats due to the thickness of the pipe you used for the handle or the thickness of the blade?

I'm working on a shovel of my own so I'd like to hear your feedback. I know the ones from Predator and Lesche are made from 4130, heat treated and tempered so I'm really curious how well plain old mild steel will hold up after some heavy use. I'd like to make mine as light as possible while still being durable so still debating on what thickness to use for the blade. The blade on my Sampson mics at .104 so I was thinking of using 12ga.

The one I designed will be sort of a cross between a Sampson and the Predator Tools Ranger. A little more aggressive and longer than the Sampson, but not as big and bulky as the Ranger.

Thanks!
Thanks rattlehead. Mine, the one with the single serration has been getting plenty of heavy use with the MD, in the garden, and even used it to chop down a couple saplings like an axe. Not even the slightest sign of bending. It has pried some pretty hefty rocks out with no trouble at all. I did have to sharpen it up a touch once. I did end up using 11 gauge mild steel for the blade and think the extra weight is contributed to the handle ,which is 1" schedule 40 and 33" long, along with the 3/4" solid cold rolled for the gooseneck. The sampson uses 5/8 hollow for the neck and seemed to be the weak point in the design. I'll live with the extra weight. This thing has been a sheer brute. If I was to build another, I would use a blade design similar to yours. That's the beauty of DIY. You get exactly what you want. I hope I could help, and feel free to ask anything else. Good luck with your project. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.
Reply With Quote


  #46  
Old 06-04-2017, 06:06 PM
Rattlehead's Avatar
Rattlehead Rattlehead is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cave Spring, GA USA
Posts: 2,445
Default

Appreciate the info and glad to hear yours is holding up well! I'm gonna cut out a few next week and then try to find something suitable for the handle. I may just go with 1" schedule 40 as well. Will keep you posted.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__________________
MINELAB CTX3030 | XP DĒUS | GARRETT ATPRO | PRO-POINTER AT | MI-6

Reply With Quote


  #47  
Old 06-04-2017, 10:05 PM
oblivion321's Avatar
oblivion321 oblivion321 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Binghamton area
Posts: 108
Default

Originally Posted by Rattlehead View post
Appreciate the info and glad to hear yours is holding up well! I'm gonna cut out a few next week and then try to find something suitable for the handle. I may just go with 1" schedule 40 as well. Will keep you posted.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It will add a little extra weight, but there is something oddly satisfying about chopping down small trees with your favorite shovel.
Reply With Quote


  #48  
Old 07-27-2017, 03:32 PM
Rattlehead's Avatar
Rattlehead Rattlehead is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cave Spring, GA USA
Posts: 2,445
Default

Originally Posted by oblivion321 View post
It will add a little extra weight, but there is something oddly satisfying about chopping down small trees with your favorite shovel.

All done. Let me know what you think.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=250067

__________________
MINELAB CTX3030 | XP DĒUS | GARRETT ATPRO | PRO-POINTER AT | MI-6

Reply With Quote


Reply


Tags
digger, diy, tool

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.