Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Old 12-25-2016, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by NMsilver View post
I know, I know. Please understand that many coin collectors have a neurotic obsession with the treatment of coins, we can get weird about it.
Please just promise us one thing- you'll carefully check all coins for key or semi-key dates/mintmarks before you scour them.

Oh, and try the glass scouring powder for silver, instead of the brass brush, trust me.
Again, if you read the article, I've pointed out that "If I can't retire off of them, I clean 'em!" Which can be loosely inferred that I'm looking up questionable coins. In fact, also in this post, I've noted that I've ordered most of the coins shown for the purposes of checking their signatures under my detector so I already know what they're worth because I paid for them.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:03 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by OP3CRIMSIN View post
Again, if you read the article, I've pointed out that "If I can't retire off of them, I clean 'em!" Which can be loosely inferred that I'm looking up questionable coins. In fact, also in this post, I've noted that I've ordered most of the coins shown for the purposes of checking their signatures under my detector so I already know what they're worth because I paid for them.
I paid $5 once for a $200 coin... ive also paid 5 cents for a 600$ coin. I can say that some of the coins you cleaned are not cheap by any means.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Glennz View post
I paid $5 once for a $200 coin... ive also paid 5 cents for a 600$ coin. I can say that some of the coins you cleaned are not cheap by any means.
Then I guess I got a screaming deal!

Old 12-28-2016, 05:15 AM
Elite Member

Then I guess I got a screaming deal!
possibly, fyi i got mine on feebay. the 200$ coin was labled in a group of large cents as an 1828... the $600 coin i got in a coin roll. i didn't realize until i recieved it. i can say i would have loved to get some like you had, my silver is not too old.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Glennz View post
possibly, fyi i got mine on feebay. the 200$ coin was labled in a group of large cents as an 1828... the $600 coin i got in a coin roll. i didn't realize until i recieved it. i can say i would have loved to get some like you had, my silver is not too old.
Wow! Find a keydate shield or something? Pics? Oh, and my actual finds so far are a 1913 Barber dime dug, a 43 war nickel dug, a 48 washington dug, a 100 Dinar Iranian copper dug, and a 59 silver rosie from coin roll. The rest were purchased.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:18 AM
Elite Member

Wow! Find a keydate shield or something? Pics? Oh, and my actual finds so far are a 1913 Barber dime dug, a 43 war nickel dug, a 48 washington dug, a 100 Dinar Iranian copper dug, and a 59 silver rosie from coin roll. The rest were purchased.

Heres a pic. I can say 1909 ih pennys are about 16 in g-4 and large cents are 20-30 in g-4