Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 12-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Supporter

Default AT Pro Nube Training.....

My nephew is getting an AT Pro. He's never detected before. I had 3 seasons on an ACE 350 before I changed machine. I found the Pro a piece of cake.

I will be showing him the ropes. He's in his 40's. The stock coil won't be a problem for him to swing. Should we start right in Pro Mode?

One more thing. How much of a price break do our sponsors give on a Pro. They are like $600 all over the universe. I might push him in that direction.

Thanks!

Dave

Old 12-02-2016, 09:48 PM
Elite Member

With you there showing him the ropes I would go pro mode and skip the standard mode bell tones.

PM some sponsors and ask them what their forum member price is.

Past Detectors: Vaquero/AT Pro/AT Gold/Quattro/F70/X-Terra 30/Delta 4000/Freedom 3 CDC/T2 LTD2/1265-X/1225-X/1212-X/1210-X/Amphibian/Gold Bug/MX Sport/Makro Racer/F75 LTD2

Old 12-02-2016, 11:58 PM
Supporter

I would just jump to pro mode. Maybe pro coin mode just to get him a feel for consistant decent known targets that he can stick to memory and then open up to Pro Zero. No sense in working the same setector twice, especially with you there as a guide and advice.

Last edited by MrNovice; 12-03-2016 at 12:25 AM.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:38 AM
Elite Member

I'm sure you can get it less than $600. From a sponsor if you buy the detector alone.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:54 AM
Sponsor

Pro mode only. I buy from Craig at www.showmetreasure.com He's a sponsor with super service and prices. At least give him a call......Tell him Khouse said to call

Old 12-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Supporter

Yeah, for sure Pro Zero or Custom mode...Custom saves your settings, Pro you have to start all over on power up...Both sound the same to me...Both sound very good and natural and give a lot of feedback on the target...I never could figure out that other one with the belltones...

The AtPro is one rig that will make a guy money when employed by dedicated hands...so the initial expenditure is more of an investment than a normal spend.....Holds a resale value too if thats the path...so yeah, good choice there...

One thing Dave, Make sure he changes out the batts when they start to fall off a click or two about 12hrs...In my experience, the Pro dont like half deads at all! BUT!.... If YOU stuff those half deads into your F70, you get ANOTHER 12hrs+ of good solid hunting! Thats what I do anyway..they make for a hell of a team!...Both those rigs, the Pro and the 70, they make a guy big money!
Mud

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:06 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by khouse View post
Pro mode only. I buy from Craig at www.showmetreasure.com He's a sponsor with super service and prices. At least give him a call......Tell him Khouse said to call
+1 NOONE will give you a better price and fast shipping too! Good luck and happy hunting Dave!

☆2-Shield~14-V's~12-Buff☆

Old 12-04-2016, 04:06 PM
Supporter

I'll touch base after we do our shopping.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:44 PM
Supporter

Got the machine the other day.

KHouse led me to a great deal with one of our sponsors. $505 for the Fall Pack sounded great.

Well the ground has frozen solid, but the nephew's house is very old. Part of the original house has a dirt floor. I told him about getting out into the woods.

We should be getting out soon if the snow stays shallow. Got 3-4 inches on the ground now, but more on the way this weekend.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:11 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Digger-Dave View post
Got the machine the other day.

KHouse led me to a great deal with one of our sponsors. $505 for the Fall Pack sounded great.

Well the ground has frozen solid, but the nephew's house is very old. Part of the original house has a dirt floor. I told him about getting out into the woods.

We should be getting out soon if the snow stays shallow. Got 3-4 inches on the ground now, but more on the way this weekend.
Dave if he has a dirt cellar that would be a great place start ! I remember finding injuns and marbles in the basement dirt in a house I grew up in. Of course the woods are also an option but as you stated above it looks like Saturday we may see around 6" then it turns to rain and in the 40's Sunday? Look forward to hearing more! Good luck!

☆2-Shield~14-V's~12-Buff☆

Old 12-21-2016, 02:00 PM

The AT Pro is a fine machine for beginners and more experienced hunters. The trick is to work with him and make sure he's comfortable with the basics. I tried to teach myself right from the start and I seriously floundered until I joined a club and got to go out with some patient and experienced hunters. It made all the difference for me.

As for settings to start with, that's a tricky one. I hunt wide open meaning Pro-Zero, full sensitivity and no discrimination. I want to hear every signal and this works great with the AT Pro because it's a multi-tone machine. However, unless you're working with him in non-trashy sites, it might be best to start him in Pro-Coin mode, as someone else mentioned.

The problem that I've had with using discrimination, such as Pro-Coin mode, is that bent nails and tack-nails can frequently give inconsistent high tones. For newbies and for me, the temptation to dig those clipped and choppy high tones can be great which leads to digging lots of undesirable targets. Some might say that's part of the learning experience and they're correct but hunting in Pro-Zero with little or no discrimination allows the user to hear the whole signal better meaning you hear the low iron grunts AND the clipped high tones and that makes it easier to make decisions on whether or not to dig. In my view, that's a better way to learn to use the AT Pro.

Member: Cascade Treasure Club

Old 12-27-2016, 05:24 PM
Supporter

I talked to him on Saturday. He's hunting in Pro Zero with the discrim set at about 20. So far he's dug some flat buttons.......in his cellar.

He still needs a pin pointer. When he decides which one he wants I'll see what our sponsors can do.

Thank you all for the input.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:24 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Digger-Dave View post
I talked to him on Saturday. He's hunting in Pro Zero with the discrim set at about 20. So far he's dug some flat buttons.......in his cellar.

He still needs a pin pointer. When he decides which one he wants I'll see what our sponsors can do.

Thank you all for the input.
Pin Pointer will change his life!!! haha Meanwhile have him purchase a Kitty
Litter Scoop... I used that years ago before I could afford a PP. it sifts nice