Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Show Me Treasure
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 12-11-2016, 08:48 AM
Supporter

Default a video for begginers showing the tones of ace,nokta deus

This is a video for begginers showing the different tonal responces from a low,mid, and high end detector and how they are different and I do a little coinshooting in my yard to show how to use those tools to help you find more good targets and less trash.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:20 AM
Elite Member

My entire first year in the hobby was learned using a Tesoro Compadre. I would have one of those over an Ace 150 any day. A one tone unit makes you learn a lot about things that will carry over to your next step up in detectors. I trust the discrimination of that Comapdre over many entry level multi tone units.

I offer that some of the lower end multi tone detectors may make it frustrating to the beginner. Some of them will false high frequently on rusty iron. On a Tesoro the language (broken signal) tells me it's rusty iron. Don't discount those single tone units.

Good informative video.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:49 AM
Supporter

Nice! I think it would be a good idea for detector companies to imbed the tones on their sales websites...like click on a detector a guy might be interested in buying, the then click on the sounds it makes...We all hear things a bit differently, and have preferences towards certain pleasing sounds that make sense to each one of us...

Anyway, like Curbdog, I hunted for my first full year in single tone All Metal on an F70....I didnt know nothing, never detected before, and I didnt want to miss a 'Pot of Gold' as promised in the Sales literature!

Anyway, it actually was a good thing, after 1000's of targets dug, one day I could tell I had learned to evaluate the shape/size/depth of a target...It was strange, it just sort of happened...to be able to tell a Q from a cap based on just that? A guy found himself focusing on targets in likely locations and finding the pay streak drop zones...

Then I read the Owners Manual, switched to Full Tones, and have not looked back! That first year hunting in All Metal single tone built me a good audio and strategic hunting location foundation...so yeah...

Today after 7 dedicated yrs behind the coil, its just as natural as walking down the street, pulling into a location, knowing where the drops are, turning on the rig and going out to get them... it was hard earned though..
Mud

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:10 PM
Supporter

I just bypassed the year with a single tone machine and learned the nuances of the mutli tone shape size etc we all took different routes but we wound up in the same place putting good finds in the case, the single tone machines are just not for me didnt start with one so maybe thats why. I know the tesero has a good discrim circuit but imo for relic hunting once you start discing anything above iron you run the risk of knocking out relics and I proved this in a test we did in my test garden. So on the downside you stuck digging everthing and you should pretty much relic hunting but theres not to much cherry picking you can do with a one tone machine unless you guys know a trick I dont. I just like the info of all the tones vdi etc. to each his on though.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:16 PM

I'm a 2 tone guy myself, knowing where the iron is gives me valuable information on the site, especially if its a new site.
I liked my minelabs ok, ideal if you want to pick and choose what you dig, but i dig everthing above iron as i don't do modern sites, i only need to know it's not a hot rock, coke or iron, keeping it simple.
Screens i can take or leave, I've only 1 detector with a basic readout, its shows Iron, foil, nickle, copper and silver, i basically use it as a conductivity scale, works well for my my style of hunting.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:48 PM
Elite Member

I think full tones, especially those on Deus can actually give you clues to the shape of a target by the way it ramps up. Coins, buttons and other symmetrical targets just seem to have a really smooth "round" sound to them... a little different than odd-shaped targets. Or maybe its all in my head?

Good video.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:00 PM
Supporter

its not all in your head I got a 60-63 signal the other day in 12 kh right in shotgun shell range and my buddy said shotgun shell I said no it has that ROUND sound I know exactly what your talking about Ive seen no other detector , that gives so much info in the tones (nuances) of course I havent used everything under the sun either but the deus is top notch in that department. imo

Old 12-12-2016, 09:05 PM
Supporter

Xp owes you a hat and I told them so! You are north Americas XP Deus Ambassador! Btw, I couldn't hardly tell you were biased towards the deus in this vid.

Clad (2015/16)=149.45 (2017)=$12.15 Rings=8 Silver Coins=34 IH=18 Oldest coin=1736 Sterling =8 gold=1

Old 12-12-2016, 09:26 PM
Supporter

Thanks ,I hide it well dont I I posted over on your gb post.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:24 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by calabash digger View post
its not all in your head I got a 60-63 signal the other day in 12 kh right in shotgun shell range and my buddy said shotgun shell I said no it has that ROUND sound I know exactly what your talking about Ive seen no other detector , that gives so much info in the tones (nuances) of course I havent used everything under the sun either but the deus is top notch in that department. imo
Yep Deus likes round.

Irregular shaped targets,,do, can and will get by a Deus user-- more than they realize.

A Nokta relic detector will show this in short order.

Irregular shaped nonferrous (smaller) will try to read awfully close to iron tone.
Folks need keen ears,,,,and the wireless ws4s if too much ambient noise-- will allow these kinds of targets to slip by even more so.

Jack up audio response,,,it may sound a bit too loud on 5 or 6,,, but the extra volume will help a person hear the yet small differentations better.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:05 PM
Supporter

I run mine on5 with the ws5 wide open dont want to miss them full tones,