Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Show Me Treasure
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Old 09-24-2016, 10:29 PM

I have always believed that coins do not sink unless they are in pretty watery mud. In my opinion coins get buried.....they don't sink. A coin in the middle of a ball field only gets buried by grass clippings. On the other hand a coin under a Maple tree gets buried much deeper and faster than the coin in the middle of the field. Maple leaves are much bigger than a blade of grass! Then you have coins that get lost under Pine and Fir trees, and only sink to the dirt at the bottom of the needles. These are in the best condition when retrieved for some reason. I have found silver coins and copper penny's only 2" under fir needles that has been there since the 1920s and the silver still looks shiny and new, while the coppers have a nice green patina but no flaking or degradation. The worst coins I have found have came from near salt water and they all are pitted and corroded. Coins that are lost in wet grass get buried very rapidly due to muddy conditions and lots of grass clippings accumulating on top of them. On hard dry ground I've found penny's from the 1940s right on top that haven't sunk any since being lost. Hope this common sense makes sense......lol

The Good Lord above has led me to 1 1890-cc silver dollar, 1 Barber quarter, 1 mint Standing Liberty quarter, 9 silver washington quarters, 4 Standing Liberty half's, 2 Buffalo nickels, 2 Barber dimes, 63 Mercury dimes, 57 Roosevelt dimes, $360 clad

Members of Friendly Metal Detecting Forums have rated post 45787 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Old 10-09-2016, 05:26 PM

Default Thanks!

Great information!

Old 01-29-2017, 10:03 AM

I think they initially get covered by grass clippings, leaves, etc. But after that I think they sink once they get into the soil strata. Rain softening the ground, coupled by freeze and thaw of the ground moves coins up and down, not to mention moles and other critters. I think a lot of things play into a coin's placement in the ground. But the clippings from grass definitely start the burying. Just my opinion, definitely not an expert lol.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Old 01-29-2017, 11:40 PM

Excellent information! Easy to read, understand and to think about. Thank you!

Old 01-29-2017, 11:45 PM
Supporter

Lol, in the Texas heat and droughts we have, they just fall in the cracks. No kidding, I've seen cracks in the summer more than 2 inches wide and over a foot deep!