Gold chain X 2??? Some plat and a tiny tooth...

Sandcrab

Elite Member
Conditions have been odd the last few weeks, sand was moved every which way, and spots that looked promising were oddly “silent.” Scratched out a couple finds, the plat/gold ring was popular a couple years ago. During one summer must have found 8 or 9 if memory serves me right. Now all the “super metals” are the big thing.

The chain was a complete pain in the "caboose"… It was situated in the sand vertically. Like someone hammered it straight down like a nail. The “top end” was down about 9 inches and when I saw it I tried pulling it but was solid. I figured I had already sliced it so I went through all my dig pile but nothing. I dug around it some but still could not free it. Then hands and knees with my dive knife and still could not get deep enough to free it… Finally dug a channel next to it and I dug… The deeper I got the harder the sand was. I finally freed it and saw that the clasp was attached at the bottom, so I did not lose any part of it… Never have I dug that deep or that long. If I did not know it was there, was digging a signal only. I would have stopped. Told my friend later I found something 30 inches deep and when I explained it to him we both had a chuckle… You think it ends there, nope… There was a piece missing… So what did this fool do, start looking for the other piece…

I figured it would have been further up the slope/shallower since it would have been lighter/a smaller piece and the incoming wave would have washed it up… NOPE, it was down the slope/deeper. So another 40 minutes searching for that. But did find it… Looking at the chain closely can put together what happened and how it was lost. All told that thing took over an hour and a half… Was 26 inches long all told. The rings were 9.9 and 7.8 grams. So add that to my list, I hate cuts and I hate chains…

I have been playing around with an odd coil I built when I had to be at home for family reasons and so far am getting interesting results. It falls on its face for the things I personally am after, but the bottom row of gold items and the 2 small silver rings… Is interesting, all were found in saturated sand or submerged, that I would consider moderately mineralized sand. Maybe opens up a “blind spot” most detectors have, but most people would never admit to or to be honest, even know about… Something for me to consider… The far left is a gold crown, (0.5 g) almost threw it out but thought it sure did look like a tooth… It was…

Attachments

• nnbb.jpg
    nnbb.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_20190213_010907786_HDR - Copy (2).jpg
    IMG_20190213_010907786_HDR - Copy (2).jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_20190213_011022180.jpg
    IMG_20190213_011022180.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 607
What awesome finds and a really great write up! Congratulations and thanks! Even though they are the same chain, that counts as 2 due to the distance between them...:laughing:

Last edited:
:dingding: You showed great restraint in patiently getting the chain out. I don't think I'm capable of that - I would've hacked it to pieces. Congrats on a great hunt!

Congrats on the beautiful gold! But did i read that correctly, you hate cuts and chains :?: 17 grams of gold is worth the pain!

Dang........ now you gave me GOLD ENVY. Dont keep doing that or ill turn into a hater..:laughing: Great finds...... and hard to come by. Now dont tell me you are on vacation in Fl.

Wow! You cleaned house on that outing!! Im not a big fan of chains but they do carry the weight, Which I do love!

Nice recoveries Sandcrab, congrats on the gold! Was the chain stuck in the clay layer?

What awesome finds and a really great write up! Congratulations and thanks! Even though they are the same chain, that counts as 2 due to the distance between them...:laughing:

Thank's I figure write something, gives the forum members an idea... Just not too much info... Compare views to replys ;)

:dingding: You showed great restraint in patiently getting the chain out. I don't think I'm capable of that - I would've hacked it to pieces. Congrats on a great hunt!

When I first saw it, the chain was nice. if you look, it has silvery finish on the ends of all the loops and what looked like hammered. I figured why not take some time. Just was not expecting that much time. :lol:

Great finds. Grats on the gold

Thanks, appreciate it...

Those results are for sure worth the efforts. Congrats! Trapper

If I didn't see it, would have moved on. Like a carrot on a string, had an "end result"

Now that is some good hunting.....awesome finds.

I will chalk it up to luck... Still like finding needles in haystacks.

bill great hunt congrats on the yellow and that chain that was 30 inches deep ;)awesome finds :D

Even a blind squirrel... If you guys get he storm that swept through here... It was and still is a doozy...

Congrats on the beautiful gold! But did i read that correctly, you hate cuts and chains :?: 17 grams of gold is worth the pain!

Yes you did read correctly... Cuts take too much time to get through the coins and light stuff. Chains when you are waist deep, decent wave action and you watch it fall out of the scoop... Then after seeing it, you are there blindly looking for something you did see, but getting rocked by the waves. Enough times and not once have I ever recovered a chain that I have lost, even with a pendant attached. Actually on 2 occasions put myself in bad situations still looking with an incoming tide and the waves building... Sometimes one has to say "on to better pastures."

Congrats on the great hunt!

It was a couple altogether... I post after the fact...

Dang........ now you gave me GOLD ENVY. Dont keep doing that or ill turn into a hater..:laughing: Great finds...... and hard to come by. Now dont tell me you are on vacation in Fl.

Gold envy... "The man of many machines" When you start putting them on your bed I will know you are fully hooked... Hater, ha I have the corner on that one... But you do have an Equinox...

May be around your neck of the woods in a couple weeks. May go look at a car. If so will take you and your family out to dinner... Oh yea, go read the last paragraph again.

Man what great finds! Way to persevere on a deep difficult chain. All very nice work indeed.

Thanks, more than likely just stubborn... But wanted to see IF I could actually find it.

Wow! You cleaned house on that outing!! Im not a big fan of chains but they do carry the weight, Which I do love!

It was a couple hunts, don't want to post too early. Think you understand that one. Then again, saw the one with you and the ice, even geared up, one slip would worry me.

17g is very nice. As are the additional rings and cross. Nice story too, thanks for sharing and congrats on the GOLD!

Thanks, give a little insight. Only takes a few minutes to write.

That's a heck of a haul! Congrats!

Oh there was a bit of junk there too...

Well done dude! I quit hating chains after i dug the 30.1 gram 24k'er:lol:

Thanks It'sa... I still will take the larger rings. I know chains seem to be the unicorn at the moment. I could be in your neck of the woods in a couple weeks... Do I need a permission slip??? :lol: But then again lock your garage... :lol:

Nice recoveries Sandcrab, congrats on the gold! Was the chain stuck in the clay layer?

Thanks... It was not clay, was crushed shell, then larger shell, then below that gravel mixed with this mud that smelled worse than a wetlands at a minus low tide. My hands and that chain after were slimy...

Well you will just have to E-mail me about that blind spot......especially if it has to do with gold. Ive decided to buy every machine that comes out that MENTIONS it MIGHT find gold it seems.:lol: Who needs a savings account you end up leaving to the kids right? You need to start designing a coil that works on the MANTA.:lol:

Great hunts my friend-congrats on that labor of love! I would have taken all day to dig that chain and loved every minute of it! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom