10 Centime bronze. First holed coin!

pawaide

Elite Member
I thought it was my first LC..... about 7 inches down and dirty dirty dirty.....

I brought it back inside and rinsed it ever so gently (or as gentle as I can be at four in the morning with what I was convinced was my new oldest coin.)

First thing as the mud begins to recede is that the coin is holed. I have never dug a holed coin before.....so I thought it pretty cool.

Next thing I notice is that it isn't copper. I gently brushed some of the remaining mud with a VERY soft nylon brush and could make out "Republique Francaise" on the obverse. OK.... it's big....it's old.....and it's French.

Looking on line it seems this is a 10 Centime bronze coin, and the date should be......mmmmmm right where that blasted hole is!!! Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!! It looks like these were made from 1898 up through 1920. I will never know if I broke into the 19th century this morning.
vu2y8u3e.jpg

y6uqu6ad.jpg

Still..... A good morning at work!

I also found a few mid (read: 1965 and 1966) quarters, a 64 Canadian cent, and some other early clad.

Best to all, and Good digs!!

I will be off the grid for a week or so, and already looking forward to coming home and catching up on the forums!!

Dig em up while I am away boys and girls !!

Pawaide

UPDATE!!!!

Got home this morning and cleaned her up a bit, and can make out the one, and part of the eight to the left of the hole!!!

I have OFFICIALLY broken into the 1800s!!! Now to find a US coin of similar vintage!!!

Good digs all!

Awesome find! Congrats on getting into the 1800's, I look forward to that day!

For pics - I hold a loupe up against my phone camera lens and it does alright taking close ups, a little tricky but a rubber band helps to hold it. Worth a shot!

Back
Top Bottom