Gotta love those economically depressed small towns

coalminer

Last week I hunted a small, inconspicuous park in a small town in coal country PA and pulled in about $7 bucks in clad in an hour and a half. Most of this came from one small section of the park near a large shade tree. Seemed like I was pulling up quarters every few swings. I would have kept going but I was getting tired of just finding clad and had an old picnic grove in the woods (with older coins) to visit.

This was a vibrant town about 80-100 years ago when coal was king but not so much anymore. I think such towns offer certain metal detecting advantages over many towns in more affluent areas because old buildings and parks are less likely to be renovated. Or old homes for that matter. They just don't have the money or population pressure of wealthier towns. Or the bloated government entities with all their ordinances and prohibitions against metal detecting and farting in the wind. Small town governments have bigger concerns than someone with a detector poking around in the ground. And I suspect there are fewer people in a poor town that are willing or able to pluck down hundreds of dollars on detecting equipment. Most of the people I have encountered while hunting in these type of towns said they have never seen anyone else with a metal detector.

I like those poor old towns...

Attachments

• seven_bucks_clad.jpg
    seven_bucks_clad.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 405
Nice hunt - yes, I live in a developed area and lots of the old sites are now shopping centers.

Back
Top Bottom