Fixed Stem

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
As many of you know my detector stem got broken in my attack on Sunday. Although I ordered one from Bounty Hunter ($9.95 + $5 S/H THANKS Florida Tabdigger!), I decided to fix the old one since I have 2 coils. Much easier to exchange lower stem units than to uscrew the coil knobs off and on each time I want to change it.:!: At first I thought I would epoxy the two pieces on the inside and then an epoxied piece of PVC on the outside like a sleeve. A friend of mine suggested that I sand down the plastic stem and then reinsert. I thought the second method would work and look better so I went with that. I round off about and inch and inserted the plastic while it was still a little hot from the sanding into the metal tubing. It was tight! It was strong and I couldn't pull it apart. I added some clear epoxy on the oustide for good measure. Voila, better than new!:D

Attachments

• Shaft 1.JPG
    Shaft 1.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 262
  • Shaft 2.JPG
    Shaft 2.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 267
Good job, and great idea about the second rod/coil. Yeah when I ever get another coil I will also be getting a second lower rod so I can also just unplug, remove lower rod and put other on to change coils. It justs makes too much sense.

Oh by the way, get back out there and find something old. :p :tumble:

On a more serious note, it is so cool, that you have kept good spirits about this and kept a chin up the whole time. I am glad you are being strong this whole time I doubt I could of.

As always Happy Hunting.

Nice Felix! Who can wait for replacement parts. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Glad to hear you're back at it Felix. I've been thinking about that whole mess that happened with you a good bit. It's a shame that kids are like that anymore. I know I'll be much more aware when I'm out.

Guys - One little glitch in the repair!:( If you ever need to fix the same type break, make sure your coil lines up with the control box. I was off a little. Had to redrill a hole to straighten it out.

Back
Top Bottom