need info on hunting CW area along river

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Ok, I have an area on the Chattahoochee river in north Atlanta where there was a small skirmish between a confederate cavalry battalion was defending a bridge attacked by a Union cavalry regiment and the battle lasted all day.

ok, where to hunt. the confederates where on the south side of the river and the union on the north side of the river and the bridge was not destroyed at the time of the battle. should I hunt on the south side where confederates were defending or the north side of the river. I have no idea what their position were at the time. Where would the defenders be on the north side of the bridge defending it? That is what I think, but maybe there is a reason for them to be on the south side so they don't get caught with their back to the river and no escape?

what do you guys think?

My thoughts... and I’m no expert...

Was there any artillery involved?

Did either side actually make it across the bridge in large numbers?

If they were trying to go south/defend the south side, then I would look anywhere in the flat on the immediate south side of the bridge.

To the north you’d probably have people posted up on the hills if there are any.

The big thing that always gets me is that landscapess change over time. A good vantage point today through a clearing could have been an orchard or thicket 100+ years ago.

no artillery involved. just a southern cavalry (smaller numbers) against a union cavalry regiment (larger numbers) defending and the union was attacking from the northern side of the river and bridge area. that is all I know.

Not an expert but sounds like you need to cover a wide area to determine where action took place.

Find a good topo map and print a copy of that area.
Do survey sweeps just to find a few items and mark these on the map.

Then you will have a little better idea of where troops were positioned and possible actions.

Also sounds like very little if any research has been done about this battle. Therefore you have a wonderful opportunity to fill in details. Some may say you also have the responsibility to properly cover and document finds for the conservation of history.

Any very local Historical places that would like this information?

Confederate relics are more rare than Union so I would concentrate on the Confederate area first. If the Confederates were defending they were probably dug in at various locations around the bridge.

no artillery involved. just a southern cavalry (smaller numbers) against a union cavalry regiment (larger numbers) defending and the union was attacking from the northern side of the river and bridge area. that is all I know.

So your answer is in your response here.

Hunt the union side first. More people and old relic hunters always claim the union troops lost more since they had more. Then once you have four d this location it will be easier to hunt the confederate side.

Ok, I have an area on the Chattahoochee river in north Atlanta where there was a small skirmish between a confederate cavalry battalion was defending a bridge attacked by a Union cavalry regiment and the battle lasted all day.

ok, where to hunt. the confederates where on the south side of the river and the union on the north side of the river and the bridge was not destroyed at the time of the battle. should I hunt on the south side where confederates were defending or the north side of the river. I have no idea what their position were at the time. Where would the defenders be on the north side of the bridge defending it? That is what I think, but maybe there is a reason for them to be on the south side so they don't get caught with their back to the river and no escape?

what do you guys think?

using GIS property tax database and maps found the owner of all the south side of the bridge where the confederates were defending. The owner was the US Bankruptcy Court, address the federal court house downtown Atlanta.

so I figured, yes! good public land. From google earth I found it is only woods, no structures. Went out with my dog yesterday and walked along the power lines which is adjacent to it and found "no trespassing" signs ever frigging 50 feet. They said no trespassing, 24/7 video surveillance, government property, federal offence, trespassers prosecuted. I was surprised to not see "shot on sight" added to those signs.

My goodness what is it area 51? Well that kills that idea of hunting the south side. It is only about 5 acres of nothing land. Maybe that is where the feds took Dent's gold.

oh well i still have the north side which is a park and lots of other much more promising areas where whole union armies crossed the river instead of just a small regimental action.

Back
Top Bottom