Best Phone Apps for Detecting

Rev_Beav

Good morning everyone! I'm hoping to start a thread of all the Apps people are using for research, maps, history, or logging finds on their phone. Please feel free to list the apps you use with a brief description, cost, and if it's only Android/iPhone app or both.

Thanks for helping out!

I'll start...

I use an App called Old Maps Online for iPhone, it's called Old Maps: A touch of history on Android and is a free app that has purchase options but I haven't tried the paid version. This App will show your location and you can choose old maps to view based on your location.

OnxHunt, to check current public/private intel

BackCountry Navigator Pro, using Caltopo 24k maps, downoaded to the tablet. Shows me what I wanna see, marks waypoints and paths.

Those two pretty much about it, other than Google Earth on the pc, and a jpeg viewer for scanned maps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A second for OnXhunt. Maprika for stretching overlays through reference points, US Topo maps.

Oldest coin dug- 1918 SLQ

I downloadd a magnifier app to better see dates on coins and other stuff. Theres dozens of them available.

I downloadd a magnifier app to better see dates on coins and other stuff. Theres dozens of them available.

so cool. it is amazing the number of apps on the iPhone that have other things not necessary if you own an iPhone.

One I enjoy is broadcastify.com tons of scanner frequencies so you don't have to own a scanner.

another for the pc is websdr.org - don't have to own a shortwave radio and put up an antenna to listen. just listen on your pc.

+3 for onX Hunt. Excellent app not only for determining who owns a property, but also for seeing the limit of property lines. Here’s a post I made last year with a lot more detail about the app and how I use it:

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2902693&postcount=3

Another excellent app for detecting is Maprika. The app allows you to turn any photo or image of a map into a geo-referenced moving map on your GPS-enabled phone or tablet. It takes some practice to learn how to create good “anchor points” for each new map you make, but once you figure it out, it’s a breeze. If you have an old map that shows building locations, it’ll take you right to the spot assuming the original map is reasonably accurate. Spectacular tool for MDers! The Maprika website has links at the top to grab the app for either iOS or Android platforms, and it’s free. I highly recommend at least trying it. You can’t go wrong for free!

Edit: I originally missed that JaMoSo82 already recommended Maprika, so I guess I’m just a +1 on that :D

Last edited:
+3 for onX Hunt. Excellent app not only for determining who owns a property, but also for seeing the limit of property lines. Here’s a post I made last year with a lot more detail about the app and how I use it:

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2902693&postcount=3

Another excellent app for detecting is Maprika. The app allows you to turn any photo or image of a map into a geo-referenced moving map on your GPS-enabled phone or tablet. It takes some practice to learn how to create good “anchor points” for each new map you make, but once you figure it out, it’s a breeze. If you have an old map that shows building locations, it’ll take you right to the spot assuming the original map is reasonably accurate. Spectacular tool for MDers! The Maprika website has links at the top to grab the app for either iOS or Android platforms, and it’s free. I highly recommend at least trying it. You can’t go wrong for free!

Edit: I originally missed that JaMoSo82 already recommended Maprika, so I guess I’m just a +1 on that :D
No worries man. Yours is a better explanation than mine ;-) Maprika is crazy stuff, and I love my onXhunt.

Oldest coin dug- 1918 SLQ

Maprika looks sweet, but the map i wanna use is a 342Mb .TIFF file

Nothing's ever easy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Is it worth the $10 for the app tho?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion, no. As a complete and useful tool for treasure hunting, Tect O Trak is really kind of limp. It's just a simplified rehash of very basic tools. It might be fine for a cladstabber on a beach or newbie. but if you're even a bit more hard core it will fall flat quickly.

I poked around with the the app for a bit. Other than a few user interface button names geared toward detecting, I honestly see nothing this app can do, that one of the other apps mentioned in this thread can't do better.

BackcountryNavigator could do the same thing with use of track recording, and waypoint marking, all while using various types of sat/maps, on or off line, and a plethora of other tools. I paid $15 for the Pro version, but the free version could do most all this too. There are millions of people using this app, a real company and community of users providing support. It's worth more, and I would have paid more for it.

OnxHunt could really do the same, with different mapping ability. Record a track, mark waypoints, while displaying on a current statewide plat map or their topo. It costs $29.99 a year, and it's really kinda worth it, I use it all the time. Any time I want to I can whip it out, and see public/private/property line info.

To have both apps is somewhat redundant. BUT....they are two different tools I want in my toolbox.

I tried tect o trac a long time ago, I didnt use it very long though, just wasnt very useful to me. Will check out onxhunt for sure, thanks for sharing!

so cool. it is amazing the number of apps on the iPhone that have other things not necessary if you own an iPhone.

One I enjoy is broadcastify.com tons of scanner frequencies so you don't have to own a scanner.

another for the pc is websdr.org - don't have to own a shortwave radio and put up an antenna to listen. just listen on your pc.

How do you get the stations on this shortwave site?

Thanks for the link

Free iPhone Magnifier

Here's a quick video to show you how to access the magnifier that comes with the iPhone 6 and higher. It is much stronger than taking a picture and stretching it. You can read thousandth of an inch on micrometers, or read fingerprints if you're in law enforcement. There are several light filters and inversions to help you better seen the details. I've found this is very helpful in ready dates on coins.

https://youtu.be/DDwmpKxGrUc

Hi A#1,

I realise this post is a bit old but I have only just seen it and am compelled to reply. I am the developer of Tect O Trak, and actually agree with some of the things you say. However, i would like to say a few things in it's defence:-

"I poked around with the the app for a bit. Other than a few user interface button names geared toward detecting, I honestly see nothing this app can do, that one of the other apps mentioned in this thread can't do better.

Firstly, first and foremost I am a metal detectorist not coder or professional app developer. I started the original android version about 5 years ago because there was absolutely nothing around for the detectorist at the time. It's come a long way since the early days. It's a labour of love and I will continue to subsidise its development for many years to come. Not because of any altruistic detecting community sentiment, but because I selfishly want a good dedicated metal detecting app for myself. I am the (android) apps biggest fan and critic. Personally I think it rocks. :cool3:

https://ibb.co/h9ypWvM

The iOS version that you talk about is different animal.

Tect O Trak iOS is a recent crowd funded and controlled project created after receiving many requests to make an iOS version, and is still in early days of development. It has a lot of catching up to do to be as comprehensive as the android version. but its very expensive for such a specialized app and takes time.

You are right, it is simplified, but by design for speed and ease of use, but it is far from finished. I would be genuinely interested to know what you think is missing to make it hardcore? I'm always open to any ideas to make the app better. :cool:

Last edited:
Found this post just now, started using GAIA GPS APP.
I CAN LAYER SEVERAL OLD MAPS ON TOP OF EACH OTHER AND THE GPS WILL SHOW ME EXACTLY WHERE THE OLD HOUSE SITES WERE. WORTH THE 30 DOLLAR A YEAR FEE,,TO ME.

Back
Top Bottom