The face of coinshooting has changed over the last 35 years

Since 1975, coinshooting was easier than it is now a days. I can remember going out coinshooting in my local area Northern CA, and simply driving around until I saw a good place to detect, empty lot, old park, old school yard etc... always finding silver indian heads and wheaties, among other interesting things, old tokens, locks, and occasional jewelery.

Today I decided to dust off the old White's 6000 Di Pro and and head out for a couple of hours, its been over 10 years since I've been out coinshooting,

READ More:

http://goldfinds.com/forum/index.php?topic=89.0

In 1975, when you found a dime that was 11 years old, it was silver.

Now you have to find a dime that's 46 years old for it to be silver.

When you found a penny that was 67 years old, it was an Indian head.

Now you have to find a penny 102 years old for it to be an Indian head.

And right there is why it's harder to find Indian heads and silver dimes now.

Plus, a lot of areas have been hunted out like crazy over the years. Metal detecting used to be more popular than it is now, and that first generation really hunted out the silver.

still good huntin' out there

It is harder to find good hunting spots but they are still out there. Today we hit a very small grass area in front of a old 20 room motel that recently burned down and was fenced off accept the very small lawn area.
I thought we would spend 20 minutes but stayed three hours. We pulled about 150 coins from that small lawn including merc dimes and silver quarters. It was a rare virgin hunt.

Attachments

• 1-10-10 004 (Small).jpg
    1-10-10 004 (Small).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 173
I don't know how it was 10 years ago, but to me it is a bit difficult finding good locations and finding coins that you can enter into your coin collection. But with proper investigating there is the silver to be found.

Back
Top Bottom