Surf Cams

Compass

Forum Supporter
I was wondering if any of you beach hunters use the surf cams to scope out the conditions for metal detecting? What should I be looking for to give me an idea if it might be worth making the long drive to the beach? Thanks!

I certainly do. I don't go unless I see the conditions first. What you look for first is the conditions go to wetsand.com and watch for heavy surf with a fast period. Heavy can be 4 foot or better and fast should be 8 seconds or faster.
then while the surf is coming in check the cams for a heavy slope or cliffs.
If your looking for a slope watch the people walking on the wet, if its a heavy slope they will walk along the bottom and top and when walking down they will go directly down and not at an angle, as well you can just see a good slope if you know the beach.
Cliffs or cuts as they say will show better at high tide with the waves hitting and spraying upwards see by a white spray, the effect can be seen very well on the night camera too. There will also be people jumping down the wall to get to the wet sand as well.
That's a few things to look for on the cams, as well don't take for gospel any predictions made by any surf reports, they aren't always accurate for every beach, its just a prediction and usually for most beaches but not all. Especially places like Hunington where the islands block the swells.

Good Luck.

IntoIt, Thanks for the great tips! I'm actually not too far from you (La Verne) so I can see why you want to have an idea before you make that drive. I just got a trial subscription to Surfline.com and like the high resolution video that I think will be very helpful. I'll probably bump into you at Huntington or Newport Beach someday. Good luck in 2010!

Sounds good. I use surfline too, You get a good view of the pier pilings and thats another idicator of sand loss, as well look for the high tide spray right at the edge even at night, they are at a different angle then the pier cams.
Here`s another site for LA beaches.
Good Luck.

http://watchthewater.org/beach.cfm?bid=18

Back
Top Bottom