• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New years day hunt, scored an unusual spur

The Wolf

Elite Member
VaMark invited me to come along on a New Years day hunt to test out my new Whites TDI. It was a hard day of digging and we were both battling a cold. We were beat by the end of the hunt but it was worth it. I scored a handful of bullets, including a couple shot .69s and this odd iron spur with brass chains. I've never seen one like it, any help on the id would be greatly appreciated. Hats off to Mark who was a digging fool that day. He killed it on the bullets!! :digginahole: :lol: :yes:

Thanks for looking! HH

Attachments

• IMG_1863.jpg
    IMG_1863.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1864.JPG
    IMG_1864.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1865.JPG
    IMG_1865.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1866.JPG
    IMG_1866.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1867.JPG
    IMG_1867.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1868.JPG
    IMG_1868.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 192
wouldn't a piece of leather be attached to the the chain without the buckle and you would thread the leather through and ajust the tightness of the spur accordingly?

Congrats on the cool spur! Interesting and unusual find. Are you going to hit it with electrolysis? Might be able to find some markings on it

wouldn't a piece of leather be attached to the the chain without the buckle and you would thread the leather through and ajust the tightness of the spur accordingly?

I think it's missing the iron buckle on the other side for the leather to attach through both sides. I'm thinking the chains would go along the side of the boot for decoration. I can see some good gilt left on them.

Very neat old spur. There were many stylish spurs of the day. This was a common civilian pattern. You should really invest in the Dorsey spur book. A few variations of these are pictured. Books are very valuable for sure.

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom