Going To The Lake, Need Help!

SwingaDingDing

Hey guys! Tommorow I am going to the beach and I have a few questions.
This lake is a bit big to hit all in 2 hours, so I am focusing on hitting certain areas that may produce for me. :cool:

Question 1. There is a volleyball court here, dry sand and the wet sand, etc. It is hard to explain but, there is a walking spot beside the lake where there is like a foot drop from the concrete path to where the dry sand starts. So my first question is, which of these spots would produce good for me?

Question 2. I have the fisher f4, and as my recent thread stated, the new canadian coins read up as iron, so should I run all metal mode in the dry sand and dig everything? Thats what im thinking i should do, so further advice/opinions would be needed and appreciated!

Thanks!

Hit the Vball court of course. I'd scan everywhere you think people may SIT on that cement wall. Things fall out of pockets all the time. Is the "drop off" a cement wall? Or just sidewalk with a dirt drop off to the sand? If its the latter I would surely use my coil at a slight 45 deg angle to try and scan the dirt/sand junction where things may bet pushed from ice "shoves" if you live in an area where lakes freeze up. Otherwise as for detector settings??? I'd just run wide open until you figure out what things read where you are. I changed my settings a bit today where I went just because the Ground balance was so low, (75) where as I am used to upper 80's for GB. When in doubt, Wide open for testing and hone in your machine as you go. Good luck man. Swim area's??? If so make sure to scan along the ropes as kids and teens love to hang on them and things fall off.

Hit the Vball court of course. I'd scan everywhere you think people may SIT on that cement wall. Things fall out of pockets all the time. Is the "drop off" a cement wall? Or just sidewalk with a dirt drop off to the sand? If its the latter I would surely use my coil at a slight 45 deg angle to try and scan the dirt/sand junction where things may bet pushed from ice "shoves" if you live in an area where lakes freeze up. Otherwise as for detector settings??? I'd just run wide open until you figure out what things read where you are. I changed my settings a bit today where I went just because the Ground balance was so low, (75) where as I am used to upper 80's for GB. When in doubt, Wide open for testing and hone in your machine as you go. Good luck man. Swim area's??? If so make sure to scan along the ropes as kids and teens love to hang on them and things fall off.

The cement wall is just a cement drop off, no dirt. I will make sure to hit the vball court. There arent really any modern swim areas, since this lake was a popular swim hole in the 20's and up, and I dont really know where exactly the crowds would have been. Thanks for the answer!

Try to find some of the "older folk" from around there and ask if they have any info as to old dirt roads that used to lead to the lake and/or camping areas nearby the shoreline. Or where some old cottages might have been back in "the day". If you think people might sit on that ledge surely hit the base of it but it might just have re-rod in it which would be like detecting next to a chain link fence. Keep us posted. Go as deep into the water as you can. Just make sure if you are going neck deep like I have at times, that there are plenty of people watching you. Guys have died going under while metal detecting boat launches.

Well said. Exactly what I would do.

Is there a concession stand? If so hit area in front of window first. Is there public restrooms? Hunt around those, plus kids sand play area, sunbather's area and any areas people climb to dive off like rock walls, docks, etc.

Always run in all metal mode to go the deepest and pick up the most targets...or that's what I do, anyway.
If there is too much iron I would probably knock that out, although really small claps on all kinds of chains can come in here.
Keep in mind the very newest coins now come in at those low iron levels and there might be a few that you will miss hunting this way, but the bulk of the coins you will come across will probably be older and come in at higher levels.
Older Loonies before this year, for example, will still hit in the higher ranges I would think.
My 1982 Loony I found does.

Back
Top Bottom