Can't believe this just happened...

Status
Not open for further replies.

detectingpro

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This thread may belong in Research/getting permission, so please feel free to move it.

I was hunting at a local park this evening while baseball practice was going on the other side of the park. I had a great hunt on the playground, found a heart pendant and little gum-ball ring. I ended up on one of the 8 baseball fields. I was hunting for about 5 minutes until I heard a voice, I'll give what happened as best as I remember it.

The guy was obviously mad, but he wasn't overly rude about it, but yet he was... lol

Upset parent- "hey dude?, Dude?"

(i turn around to look and theres a guy walking towards me with a scowl)

I dont say anything, I just start walking towards him.

Upset parent- "You can't be digging on these fields, we have pipes and sprinkler systems here and you could hit one"

(Now in 50+ hours that I've hunted this park i have yet to hit a pipe-like signal in the outfields)

me- " I can tell if i'm hitting a pipe or not"

Him- "Oh that doesn't matter, we have tournaments here and we can't have holes all over the place for people to trip and fall"

Me- "I fill all my holes..."

Him-(interrupting me)" That doesn't matter, the grass is still cut and is not as stable as it was"

Me- (remaining silent)

Him- "We rent these fields for $5000 and we don't want you on these fields digging"

Me- "Just to let know, there is no law or ordinances against detecting"

He then repeats that he doesn't want me digging because they rent the fields.. I respond with just "OK"

I turn around and start heading back to my truck and he pipes back up,

"Next time I catch you on here I'll have to contact the authorities"

I didn't turn around and I kept walking.

-END-

Background on the park, it's owned by the township (I assume) and there are no signs or ordinances that give any indication on metal detecting. In fact I'll post the ordinances here if you guys want.

My questions are,

1. Since they rent the fields, do they have ANY right to tell me to get off?
2. Did I play this situation out right?
3. Should I go back?

Now I could contact the township directly to ask them, but we all know asking to "dig" on athletic fields will most likely result in a resounding NO!!!!

If I go back I would want permission directly from whoever owns it.

How should I go about asking permission?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Hey, I think you did a good job keeping cool . He should have told you who he was and the name of the organization . The town will tell you if they have exclusive rights to the field . Good Luck
HH

Personally, I think you were overly considerate. I think I would have done about the same until he made the comment about calling the authorities if you came back. That would have stopped me in my tracks and either he or I would have called right then. It would have been settled one way or the other. I don't mind being asked to leave a place, but I don't deal with rude or bullying people well.

i think right off the bat (no pun intended), i would have been asking him some questions starting off with who the heck is he. personally, i don't take kindly to random strangers coming up to me and mouthing off, especially if i don't even know who or what he is, lol.
the last instance where i had a similar encounter such as yours', i asked the lady if she wanted me to put back all of the sharp stuff i "dug" up. i also invited her to try to find any of the 200+ holes i had "dug" in this particular place. she declined, but her attitude sure changed when i mentioned sharp items which kids , or anyone else for that matter, could have easily encountered.... the hard way.
if he wants to rant at you like that and he can't even identify himself, YOU make the necessary phone call and get him outta your face. :yes:.

my 2 cents.

Just my opinion here , but if they're renting the fields from the town , they are only renting for certain times . If it's a public park , his renting does not give him specific ownership , as there will always be other people using the fields . Although , if by chance someone gets hurt , the finger will be pointing at you . I would just go when he isn't there .

Personally, I think you were overly considerate. I think I would have done about the same until he made the comment about calling the authorities if you came back. That would have stopped me in my tracks and either he or I would have called right then. It would have been settled one way or the other. I don't mind being asked to leave a place, but I don't deal with rude or bullying people well.

i think right off the bat (no pun intended), i would have been asking him some questions starting off with who the heck is he. personally, i don't take kindly to random strangers coming up to me and mouthing off, especially if i don't even know who or what he is, lol.
the last instance where i had a similar encounter such as yours', i asked the lady if she wanted me to put back all of the sharp stuff i "dug" up. i also invited her to try to find any of the 200+ holes i had "dug" in this particular place. she declined, but her attitude sure changed when i mentioned sharp items which kids , or anyone else for that matter, could have easily encountered.... the hard way.
if he wants to rant at you like that and he can't even identify himself, YOU make the necessary phone call and get him outta your face. :yes:.

my 2 cents.

The only problem I have with calling police in, is I am still young, (16) and would not know how to handle this legally, and 2, In my county there usually is a 30 minute to 3 hour wait for a officer to arrive.

Just my opinion here , but if they're renting the fields from the town , they are only renting for certain times . If it's a public park , his renting does not give him specific ownership , as there will always be other people using the fields . Although , if by chance someone gets hurt , the finger will be pointing at you . I would just go when he isn't there .

Yep. Just go when he's not there. A situation like that happened to me a couple years back,except it wasn't a ballfield but it *was* a busy-body with a big mouth. He threatened the cops so I just left so as not to cause a scene. But that all happened after I had found an 8 1/2 gram 14k wedding band....:cool:

If it was me, I'd restrict my hunting to the areas of the park that aren't actual ball fields during ball season when they're actually expected to be in use. If you're not detecting on the playing fields during the season, then you shouldn't have any further run-ins with this guy.

However,... If he starts harassing you in other areas of the park, then by all means stand your ground, tell him to go ahead and call police, that you'll wait to speak with them, and let the cops sort it out.

As a retired cop I can tell you one of the more irksome complaints cops have to deal with is grown intolerant busybody people complaining over teenagers who aren't doing anything wrong to start with.

Cops deal with so many bad kids who drink/drug/and worse... so when they come across a good kid minding their own business and engaging in an activity, whether it's detecting or playing basketball, or whatever, being hassled by some jerky dude, 9.9 out of 10 cops will take the kid's side and tell busybody citizen to leave the kid alone.

For future reference, if police do get called on you, just be calm and polite. That alone will get you pretty far with most officers.

I think you handled it right. I personally stay off of baseball fields during their season and football fields during their season just because I know there is a greater chance of arguments during those times. I also leave some trash items in my trash bag to show the people what sharp and pointed items I remove from the ground their kids a sliding and falling on. Just my 2 cents

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware of your age. So that was the correct move at that time. But I would make it a point to perhaps speak with the police chief, mayor, or sheriff. Introduced yourself, let them get to know you and if there is ever a problem in the future, you will most likely at least be listened to. You done good.

I would think with the baseball season just getting underway, the town spent a lot of money and manpower grooming the fields. I don't think they would appreciate you digging on their fields. Maybe it would be best to hit the ball fields in the offseason. If the park authorities get involved, they might be inclined to ban metal detecting in the park.

Think you handled it about right. Wouldn't have been hunting the sports field to begin with, myself, for this reason. Better to stay of the field by choice, than to have the entire park off limits, by law. The man did have a point, here in Florida, the soil is just like beach sand, soft. The only thing holding the surface stable, are the roots. You cut the roots, you leave a soft spot. Think it more dangerous to careful hide that soft spot, so no one knows you were there, least if you left it a little dirty, there would be some warning.

Money talks pretty loudly. Dude was out of line, claiming exclusive use. He probably has use of the field, one a schedule, but really has no say on it's use the rest of the time. Shouldn't have confronted you directly, he should have taken his gripe to the park director. Guess you were better off taking an earful, rather than get the city involved. $5k from each team, can add up to a nice chunk of change.

I just hunt for fun, so maybe I'm a little more careful about agitating people around me. Doesn't bother me to step aside, find friendlier places to hunt in peace. If you really like sports fields, might consider saving those for the off-season. Would definately stay off the fields during play-offs and championships, competition is at it's peak, and so are emotions.

Think if you press the point, that you have the right to dig up the play field, you stand to lose the whole park, maybe all parks, depending how the arguing goes. Might find a few fellow hobbyist to stand by your side, but think the money, and several sports teams will be tough to beat. Injuries, liability, lawsuits, are all pretty compelling...

Don't dig baseball fields. You have no idea how much work goes into getting them ready for their intended use in the spring. If you were doing the work, you'd have a scowl as well. If you're a taxpayer in the town, you should understand and respect that. If you're coming from another town and you don't understand, maybe it's not the guy with the scowl who "isn't getting it" Do you have kids that play sports, or baseball for the matter? My son plays, and has weak ankles as it is. Stepping in a soft cut plug could cause him to sprain an ankle again. Why should he have to deal with that so you can find some loose change? Just a thought from the other side.

In this situation you should look at it from his perspective. Its only natural for them to be upset when someone is digging on a sports field , you may be filling your holes but lots of people dont. He dont know you so there is no way for him to know if you would come back some other times and not fill your holes. Those sports fields are carefully maintained and somebody works to make sure they are a clean and safe environment for people to play. Even if its legal to detect on them its a good idea to respect the wishes of those who dont want you digging there. They dont care if you fill your holes or not they dont want any digging. I avoid hunting in sports fields , I can understand people not liking me to dig there.

I think you handled it right. I personally stay off of baseball fields during their season and football fields during their season just because I know there is a greater chance of arguments during those times. I also leave some trash items in my trash bag to show the people what sharp and pointed items I remove from the ground their kids a sliding and falling on. Just my 2 cents

the trash deal won't fly. See I'm a detectorist and a baseball coach. Never once have we stopped a game because a kid cut himself on can slaw.

If it was me, I'd restrict my hunting to the areas of the park that aren't actual ball fields during ball season when they're actually expected to be in use. If you're not detecting on the playing fields during the season, then you shouldn't have any further run-ins with this guy.

However,... If he starts harassing you in other areas of the park, then by all means stand your ground, tell him to go ahead and call police, that you'll wait to speak with them, and let the cops sort it out.

As a retired cop I can tell you one of the more irksome complaints cops have to deal with is grown intolerant busybody people complaining over teenagers who aren't doing anything wrong to start with.

Cops deal with so many bad kids who drink/drug/and worse... so when they come across a good kid minding their own business and engaging in an activity, whether it's detecting or playing basketball, or whatever, being hassled by some jerky dude, 9.9 out of 10 cops will take the kid's side and tell busybody citizen to leave the kid alone.

For future reference, if police do get called on you, just be calm and polite. That alone will get you pretty far with most officers.

^this times 84 or 88 or 92....but this

If the field is landscaped and manicured, its no place to be digging during the season. Even if you fill your holes, wet ground will settle leaving a depression which could cause a twisted ankle, or worse. (country people have a secret.....sometimes you dig a hole and don't have enough dirt to fill it; sometimes you have too much. On the full moon, you will always have just enough dirt)

Things like this are not all about laws; sometimes its thinking of other people, especially the players who might get injured tripping, falling, etc.

Stay off the diamond and the guy should be complaint.

Good Luck and HH!

I try to avoid "well manicured" baseball fields....even though we do our best to fill our holes...there is no convincing anyone else that what we are doing will have minimal impact on the grounds. We know better, but they will not be happy with any explanation you can offer. I have hunted baseball fields before, but only when I have the field to myself.

With that said, I don't blame you for what you did, and you did maintain a polite and orderly disposition, but you wont' win over a hard core baseball parent/player in this instance.

I know I probably go to far to remain un-noticed, but the last thing I want is to disrupt the peace and tranquility of the park environment.

that's just me...

HDD

Detecting pro, of all the answers you got so far, notice gcsod45, hawdawg, H-desert-digger, & joe4077 have one element in common: Pick more ... uh.... "opportune" times.

Because I betcha that in your entire city, it's probably 1 in 100,000 that care less about you. And as you said yourself, there's nothing prohibiting metal detecting in muni codes there. (the "dig" issue aside for the moment :roll:)

So really then: The issue is not the "law". Or "permission to deflect him", etc.... The issue is HIM. And you would probably be on the loosing end of that debate , if it ever had to escalate higher up to bored pencil pusher's desks.

So if you ask me, the solution is not to a) prove him wrong legally, or b) get him to love you and change his mind. The solution is as gcsod45, H-desert-digger, hawdawg & joe4077 say: Avoid that one individual. Some people might call that "sneaking around". Ok, fine then: SNEAK AROUND :roll:

Thanks all for your replies.

I forgot to mention, I have detected this park before while the park crew was there mowing, and yes, they even said hi to me WHILE I was on the baseball field cutting a plug.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom