new guy same question

ronin

hello everybody.
i am a newbie and i have the same question. deciding on my first detector. i have been reading the forums trying to get guidance. i had it narrowed down to the fisher f2 or the tesoro silver umax. i live in the new york city area about 1 mile from the beach. i camp up in the catskils and the adrondacks near fresh water lakes. however i would probally be using it mostly in parks and such .i went to a dealer today and he told me that the soil in the ny city area is highly mineralized so the tesoro would be no good and the fisher would be too sensitive and no good . he thought i should go with a whites or the garrett 250. (he seemed to have a lot of whites and garretts in stock). the more i read the more confused i get. paralysis of analysis. PLEASE HELP......
i would consider a used model of somekind in that price range if would be better suited. just to confuse me more

I'd sure find another dealer. The ACE 250 should have the same problems that the other 2 would have. The White's would too. To get around the problem you'd need to lower the sensitivity until the machine becomes stable. And it's not really a big deal. But, I could be wrong too.

You live close to the beach. Are you planning on using the machine there? Any of them should work OK in the dry sand, but they'd have problems over wet salt-water sand. (Yet, you might be able to lower the sensitivity very low and they might work. Again, I can't be sure, but I have read of others doing this with some success using the ACE 250 and the Tesoro.) Over fresh-water wet sand they'd all be OK.

There's a guy in New York who wrote a book called The Urban Treasure Hunter. If you're not in a hurry, you might want to take a look through that. Don't think it will help you pick a machine, but it will give you ideas on where to search.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome and a Big Howdy From Alabama!
I agree what Rich said. Find another dealer, one that carries all models and is not bias towards any specific one. They will give you the best advice on what to buy for your area or better yet find a metal detecting club in the area and ask them what they use and maybe join. This is how you develop resources and find others in the area that has the same interest you do. You will learn the most in the club. Just my two cents.

i have the fisher f2 and i like it allot.

the best is the one that you like.

i know that is no help at all but there you have it!

i have never used the others but i can say that the f2 must be the lowest weght 'tector on the market which is really nice it you swing one for a few hours. i am always sore after using my 2500.

the f2 features the latest in reduced cost manufacturing but the ace 250 is a classic and very popular.

i can say with certainty that the f2 is "easy to live with" as it were. the f2 is my main detector now.

i have never used the ace 250.

with an entry level detector you have to notch out lowend conductance targets in mineralized soil. or else just ignore all the targets that ringup as less then penny. and ignore nonrepeatable target signals.

I think Tim's advice is best - find a metal detecting club in your area and ask them which detectors they use in the New York City soil. You might find that they don't use any of the above detectors, or all of them. Tell them what the dealer told you and see what they think about it. Epi has an Ace 250 and tried to use it over highly mineralized soil. It produced a lot of false signals. Also, find a different dealer. Like you said, if he's got a lot of White's and Garretts in stock and no one is buying them, he's probably despriate for a sale and telling people anything to get them sold.

tesoro or fisher

thank you all for your advice. there is a club on staten island ,where i live ,and i plan on attending their next meeting. i posted a question on the purchising forum ,with no replys ,so i will try it here. any opinions on the fisher f2 (with 2 coils) vs. the tesoro silver umax. thanks again for all the help already given.

The Tesoro is very easy to use. You've got a sensitivity dial and a discrimination dial. You also have a toggle switch that allows you to go into all-metal mode. No visual display. No 'tones'. Super-light. Runs on one 9-volt battery. The most basic machine I've ever swung and one of my favorites. The F2 has more bells and whistles and I've never used one or seen one.

Back
Top Bottom