Here's A Park I Would Pass On...

I think I'm seeing the disconnect here . You say :

Well that's a horse of a different color. Hitting curb-strips, in front of homes, is not the same as parks and schools. Yes it might be equally as legal , but.... let's be honest .... some people think you're in their yard, or are going to make a mess, blah blah. Oh sure, we can debate them as to the legalities, but ..., that's been the subject of countless threads.

And then you go on to talk about door-knocking. I don't understand that. Are you saying that you hunt people's yards too (which, yes, require door-knocking). Ok then, sure, to have some "ice-breaker cover story" does indeed come in handy. Sure.

But that was never the starting subject of this post. This post was about a school yard. Which doesn't require door-knocking nor permission. So that's where I think we're having a disconnect. You shifted from the subject of school yards (which, for sake of argument, we'll say are like parks), to another type venue, and even to the subject of private property.

to be continued :

The curb strip thing happened about five years ago. And the area I'm speaking of is a very nice community. When approached by a home owner
I'll most always be a gentleman and leave if asked. I wasn't given that opportunity when the incident took place.

As for your confusion on door knocking, curbs are an in passing thing...if I've hunted all day but still have some fumes left I might hit a curb strip hoping to get lucky.

And yes, as I stated in my previous post, I was just trying to exchange ideas. Not just about a schoolyard or whatever. I probably shouldn't have de-railed.

If we're talking public parks, schools, beaches, forests, etc.... (that don't have an express "no md'ing" rule), then no need to have an entity behind you. I had the feeling that you were thinking that you needed to "have an entity behind you" to help deflect busy-bodies . That might walk up to you at a school, and gripe (as if you were facing constant ire ?)

But if you meant for that @ door-knocking (yards of homes, etc...), then : Sure, if you have a cover-story, as an ice-breaker, sure. For example, as noted, I docent at 2 different museums. Leading 4th grade tours, manning a desk, etc.. Each of them asks for 6 hrs. p/month. Where you might man a kiosk or desk, answer tourist questions, lead 4th graders around on a tour, etc.... It's a lot of fun ! And it got me a cool name-badge on a lanyard :)

And yes, I sometimes (not many) "flashed that badge" when md'ing. And explain I'm a historian from such & such museum. And as such, am doing a study. And was "... wondering if they knew anything about the stage stop that was supposed to be back in the canyon off yonder ?", etc....

I haven't done that ruse for knocking on individual home doors (that would be sort of odd). But all I'm saying is, that: If you think that such credentials would aid you, then I suggest becoming a docent. Historical societies, museums, etc... are always looking for volunteers. You get to rub shoulders with other history buffs. You get "white glove access" to behind the desk basement archives. You get a namebadge to give you an heir of officiality to why you're asking pointed questions to a farmer or whatever. It's gotten me "letters of introduction" if I need to crack into the archie-trinomial white-glove stuff. Plus it's kind of fun to meet visitors, tourists, be civically involved, etc...

I would do it that way. Instead of just walking in as a non-member, and non-docent, non-volunteer. Your notions will go a LOT further with powers-that-be of those entities, if you are an actual contributor/member. And naturally, you don't mention your *true* intentions (metal detecting), until you are a long-established member (a year perhaps ?). And are at the point where you know the folk on a first-name basis. Otherwise, it's highly unlikely that someone's gonna waltz in off-the-street and say "Hi, can you please sanction me to go dig @ such & such ?". And trust me, most museums do not need more artifact donations (if you think you're going to sway them by saying "... and I'll give you all that I find"). In fact, a lot of museums have, on their boards of directors, archie -minded people. And if they so much as HEAR the word "metal detector", you might fizzle. Contrast to if you're a member in good standing, you can feel your way around, see how the "prevailing mood" is there (are they purist archies or not).

yeah yeah, fox guarding the hen-house. I know :)

Ok good.
This is what I was hoping to achieve.
Not only is it (the library) an ice breaker for me, but I get permissions directly from it sometimes. Maybe in your area that's "crazy" or "weird", but it works for me.
Many people know the Historian that runs that section of the library, and it equals an auto-yes for me sometimes.

Moving on, I like the ideas you present.
I'm currently looking into volunteering for Archy work. No museums close enough for me drive wise, or I'd give it a shot.
I'd LOVE to give tours and teach kids about history. That's really cool.

EDIT: After re-reading, we kind of have the same idea overall :lol:
We just adapted to the environments we're challenged with differently based on available resources.

Back
Top Bottom