Equinox coil question.

ohiochris

Elite Member
Ive started noticing something about how my coil operates , it may have done this before but I didnt notice it as much if it did. On a single target I am now noticing I get 3 hits on anything about 3 to 4 inches deep or shallower .....coil edge , centerline and coil edge. Centerline ID is more accurate and coil edge hit is not so much. I dont know how that can be right , the sweet spot of a DD coil is supposed to be the center. Deeper than 3 to 4 inches just a centerline hit. Has anyone noticed this ? Can anyone test theirs with a coin on the ground to let me know if its just my detector doing that ? It does make pinpointing shallow targets more difficult.

Hello,
It will do this.
It is a matter of what settings you are running. Recovery speed, iron bias and your coil control is what is causing this, mainly recovery speed. You may be too slow or fast for the recovery speed you are set at.
Try this.
Park 1 or 2
Recovery speed 4 (Too high of a setting will cause "clipping", too low will have a "longer" response)
Iron Bias 0 or 1.
Sweep between 2 and 3 seconds from end to end.
If you are over the target, try not to sweep too slow, not fast but steady. A good target in a clean spot will produce a steady, clean signal in all directions.
Its takes a little practice and experience but you will get it!
HH!

ATP does the same..

Love hearing that triple nickel ripple in swimming areas..

<°)))>{

It’s actually a huge advantage Chris,when you get used to it. You know the target is shallow if it does the same thing at 90 degrees also. Don’t worry,it’s working just fine,my Explorer and CTX do the same thing. Just lift the coil a few inches and resweep to find where the target really is.

ATP does the same..

Love hearing that triple nickel ripple in swimming areas..

<°)))>{

Actually , my ATP dosent do this....ever :lol: Thats why it seems so odd with the equinox.

I prefer the wiggle back method of pinpointing , the pro is excellent at this and even with very shallow targets there is only one hit. But with the nox , thats 3 solid hits on each individual shallow target no matter what it is , so if there is more than one target.....well multiply each target by 3 ......all in an an 11 inch circle. No telling where one ends and the other begins.

It’s actually a huge advantage Chris,when you get used to it. You know the target is shallow if it does the same thing at 90 degrees also. Don’t worry,it’s working just fine,my Explorer and CTX do the same thing. Just lift the coil a few inches and resweep to find where the target really is.

Problem is when you have one target at say 4 to 7 inches and another right next to it at 2 inches. Cant get a good ID on the 7 incher when the coil edge is hitting on the 2 incher. Both targets together bouncing around and hitting high mid and low normally indicate trash.

Problem is when you have one target at say 4 to 7 inches and another right next to it at 2 inches. Cant get a good ID on the 7 incher when the coil edge is hitting on the 2 incher. Both targets together bouncing around and hitting high mid and low normally indicate trash.

You’re right,and you know what to do there...either use the front of the coil to sneak up on the suspected good target from a certain direction or dig the strongest target to remove it by again raising the coil as you sweep to locate its center. You can also turn down the sensitivity to make things a bit clearer on at least an undesirable larger target. If the targets are super close together you may not get good ID no matter what,depending on orientation.
Just reinforcing, not saying anything you don’t know. I know you’re an accomplished hunter.

You’re right,and you know what to do there...either use the front of the coil to sneak up on the suspected good target from a certain direction or dig the strongest target to remove it by again raising the coil as you sweep to locate its center. You can also turn down the sensitivity to make things a bit clearer on at least an undesirable larger target. If the targets are super close together you may not get good ID no matter what,depending on orientation.
Just reinforcing, not saying anything you don’t know. I know you’re an accomplished hunter.

Good point , that would be a good way to handle it. The reason for the frustration is I hunt ridiculously trashy ground most of the time. This slows the process down considerably.

I didnt have as much of a problem with the AT pro , but then again it never alerted me to about 50% of what was there.....masking.

I love the equinox performance other than that tho.....well besides the target Id and depth guage being way off just as often as it is right. I just wondered if it was normal for the coil to do that

Actually , my ATP dosent do this....ever :lol: Thats why it seems so odd with the equinox.

I think mine does it more with the stock coil, and the Storm.. But I'm pretty sure the small coil does it too.. Both my ATPs did that..

Also, no need to pinpoint with your machine when it happens, its shallow enough for your propointer to find it...

<°)))>{

I think mine does it more with the stock coil, and the Storm.. But I'm pretty sure the small coil does it too.. Both my ATPs did that..

Also, no need to pinpoint with your machine when it happens, its shallow enough for your propointer to find it...

<°)))>{

I gotta get a propinter. Im oldskool , been doing good without until now , the nox makes it necessary. Must just be variation between different AT's but Ive been hunting shallow trashy ground for years and even did some water hunting , had an "echo" now and then on a few targets just under the surface but it never triple hits with the coils edge hitting on the target. The centerline was the only thing hitting the target , both the stock coil and the 5x8. Thats interesting....I dont doubt you , its just strange how much difference there can be from one AT to another. With this nox , everything up to about 3 inches gets a solid hit from the coil edges.

I didnt notice this happening at first , and it seems like about the time I noticed it happening the target ID which I was originally impressed with now is a total !!!! shoot. Seems like something may have changed

Back
Top Bottom