Good Day from suburban Kansas City! I'm new to both MD and the forum.

kc Moonlight

Just got a lightly used Ace 350. Added a Chinese pointer (it's adequate for now) and a Fiskar garden knife. I've started detecting in my back yard, but have hopes to get serious soon. I'm researching some CW sites and old homesteads.

We have inground electrical supply. If I pass my detector over a buried power line, will it damage the detector?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to learning and yakking in the forum.

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Interesting question, I'm not sure but I don't think it will damage the detector but it might interfere if the power line gives off enough electromagnetic radiation sort of like if you try to detect near the high voltage power lines on those metal towers. Then again, the underground power lines might not be powerful enough to interfere like the high voltage lines sometimes can with some detectors.

Maybe some other members who have underground power lines can give you a more definite answer, our power lines are on wood poles.

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Welcome from Lees Summit. I have detected around buried power lines before without any issues but still try to avoid them if I can. Just be careful when digging around them. :shock:

Hello from Western Australia! :wave: Those underground cables shouldn't harm your detector in any way, however you might experience some interference (i.e. your detector get's erratic) so locating good targets may be harder.

Back
Top Bottom