Equipment failure :-/

Swinglow

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
Hows this for a way to end your hunt. 27 degrees with 15-20 mph wind blowing in my face and this is what I end up with.
Time for carbon fiber again.
46c16dd7adcb902c3a035125d5f62001.jpg

0870bce9de202ba7793fdb33d6b6a75d.jpg

5e8bca9478e8d7c90fd594f36669c3a5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It hurts just to look at it. :(

I find this photo very interesting .. I've been doing a ton of testing different materials and products over the last couple of years trying to create the perfect combo. Was this a stock shaft? Fiber glass? Did you lean on it scooping out,a deep hole or when bending to pick something up ? At least it wasn't the detector. The shaft is a 1 hunt delay.

Last edited:
Ive had that happen.........i just removed the clip part and slid it back in. That Plugger connector is top notch.

Dew

I use a big heavy coil in the water so I break Garrett shafts like that at least once a season, sometimes twice.
I just have a complete backup shaft in my "always goes with" MD backpack.

Did you mod that lower shaft George by drilling an extra hole? By your picture it looks like it... If its the case buy a Whites tall man shaft and fit it with the Ml lower piece.. I have done that in the past.

I find this photo very interesting .. I've been doing a ton of testing different materials and products over the last couple of years trying to create the perfect combo. Was this a stock shaft? Fiber glass? Did you lean on it scooping out,a deep hole or when bending to pick something up ? At least it wasn't the detector. The shaft is a 1 hunt delay.
I bought the machine with that shaft already installed. Craig im not sure if Frank added a hole before he sold it to me but i know I didnt. I was in mid sweep under water when it went limp. I pulled it out of the water to see what happened and saw the lower shaft and coil just hanging there. I know better than to use the shaft as a crutch lol. I wanted to replace it with a carbon fiber anyway. At least it was a local freshwater hunt vs my typical hour plus drive to the salt beach.

This is probably a stupid question but is there any difference in how cold freshwater impacts the strength of plastic vs equal temp saltwater? This was my first ever winter time freshwater hunt and I noticed the cold water affecting my waders to the point where I could actually somewhat feel the cold on my legs whereas I never get that wading in saltwater. I wasnt cold while in the water but I also didnt feel as warm as usual either.

I bought the machine with that shaft already installed. I was in mid sweep under water when it went limp. I pulled it out of the water to see what happened and saw the lower shaft and coil just hanging there. I know better than to use the shaft as a crutch lol. I wanted to replace it with a carbon fiber anyway. At least it was a local freshwater hunt vs my typical hour plus drive to the salt beach.

Easy to fix I guess. I tend to crutch it on the wetsand. Having hip troubles now. 250lbs will do that after a while.
Plastic will degrade over time. Depends on the type of Plastic, uv protected , etc. Lately I've been testing out with a couple things added in. Very few plastic materials can withstand the environments and abuse that a metal detector can go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom