Thought I scored a large cent, but it's only a 1898 medal

bruinvikes

Elite Member
I decided to go on a one hour hunt even though it's a muddy mess around here. I didn't find any clad at all, but several pull tabs and this medal that I really thought was a large cent. When I pulled it from the ground it was caked with mud and I didn't want to ruin it so I waited until I got home to run it under some tap water. After getting it cleaned up I still had no idea what it was so I did some research and I am thrilled with this find. It is a medal commemorating the 50th anniversary of Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria's reign in 1848.

I found this medal in the grassy area behind first base (right field) of an old baseball diamond. Surprisingly, it was only 2-3 inches deep.

Here is a link with some information regarding this medal.

http://www.coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=8635

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 188
That is really cool!
Either some kid took it off of his Grandpa's dresser or they moved some dirt around during park renovations.
Either way, that is an excellent find, and the main reason why I dig all good signals regardless of depth:yes::yes:

Only an 1898 metal dude that's awesome submit it to Vaughn Garrett's find in the month at Garrett website you could win a Garrett carrot for your story good luck on more cool finds

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Thanks fellas!

Only an 1898 metal dude that's awesome submit it to Vaughn Garrett's find in the month at Garrett website you could win a Garrett carrot for your story good luck on more cool finds

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

I was being sarcastic with the "only" comment. I enjoy every single thing that I pull out of the ground. Heck, I found a thimble that was misplaced by Betsy Ross, a shell casing from one of Jesse James railroad heists, a Civil War token that slipped through a hole in Abraham Lincoln's trouser pocket, a beer bottle top from a beverage that John Wayne drank, and a pocket watch that John Dillinger dropped. What I'm saying is that the possibilities of each and every find are endless and I seriously enjoy them all. I'm just thrilled to death to be able to hunt at this time of year in NW Ohio. Usually at this time of year the ground is harder than an outdoor basketball court. I like to joke around, or be sarcastic a lot of the times, so by me using the word "only" I sincerely wasn't bummed out with the medal at all. I mean heck, who would be disappointed in finding anything from 1898?

Back
Top Bottom