shocking-be careful

dale-maine

I haven't seen this discussed on the board. I was hunting between a house and a outbuilding. I dug what was a strong coin signal and what I found was a live electrical wire about 5 inches deep runing power to the outbuilding. I was fortunate I did not break the insulation with my digging tool or think it was a root and try to saw through it. I will be more aware of this possibility in the future. Be careful out there. :shock:

Looked like a quarter didn't it? I have done that a couple times but luckily power was off to the line...

I am happy you are ok, but I am surprised that the copper wire
would have pin pointed into a small target.

Sounds like they are not up to electrical code. Never really considered the chance of hitting an underground cable . I dig with an all steel shovel too. :shock: Thanks for the post.

Jim

Not good, not good at all. If I remember right, the NEC (National Electrical Code) states that all buried electrical lines will be at least 18" deep. People doing their own work really need to read this book before going ahead with any work.

dale-maine said:
I haven't seen this discussed on the board.  I was hunting between a house and a outbuilding.  I dug what was a strong coin signal and what I found was a live electrical wire about 5 inches deep runing power to the outbuilding.  I was fortunate I did not break the insulation with my digging tool or think it was a root and try to saw through it.  I will be more aware of this possibility in the future.  Be careful out there.   :shock:

dale_maine..........Thanks for the great tip !  Like others here,
                            I hadn't thought of shallow-buried electric
                            lines.  Good reminder !
ToddB64 :grin:
Ace250

the line should have beenprotected.

Why didn't the MD show the object in a straight line going.

Why didn't pinpointing show that this was a long object.

Newbie Here

Apart from underground cables needing to be "Steel Wired Armoured" in the UK, when the trench is backfilled, a plastic warning tape has to be laid in the ground, just above it.

when searching around buildings that have electricity running to them I always continue waveing the coil in a probable line after getting a signal , to see if the signal continues in a line like pattern.

nice one for the info dale hadn,t crossed my mind either i once cut an out mains cable going from a house to pool house with a hedge trimmer, trimmin deep ground ivy, you can imagin the surprise i got lucky not harmed just the womens pool turned green as she was away for two week holiday and i did not have the keys :roll:

The 600v refers to the insulation of the cable. I assume this was an older home. We tend to hunt older sites and the code wasn't in effect (probably) at the time in this area. If it's on a farm forget it. Each city or county has to adopt the NEA for it to become the rule. Things were done a lot differently in the "old" days. I taught for the electrical trade, the code in effect changes from city to city, county to county, at least in Illinois. Rob

Back
Top Bottom