BIG KEY- Literally & some clad

arw40

Forum Supporter
We have managed somewhat of a thaw here in mid upstate NY. There is no snow on the ground and surprisingly enough I was able to get down 3-4 inches with ease. 45-50 temps today so I hit up an older park and didn't find anything but this BIG KEY. I had to work to get it out as it was at around 6 inches deep. I was wondering if anybody could tell me what you would use a key of this size ( 7" ) for ?? Its solid brass and as I started to try to clean it up its taken on a shine as if it were new. I guess a small buffing dremel would do the trick. Interesting find anyways. I also managed $3.63 in clad and a matchbox at another park. It was just nice to get out in January here to do some swinging....HH !!

Attachments

• DSCN0516.jpg
    DSCN0516.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 254
  • DSCN0517.jpg
    DSCN0517.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 174
  • DSCN0519.jpg
    DSCN0519.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 177
Very nice....one of the best keys I've seen posted. I wish there was some way to date them based on the style. Maybe someone will chime in with an educated guess. Congrats!

Nice finds - I have an old barn and the corn crib on the end has a rim lock on the door. The key is almost as big (about 5.5 inches) as the one you found. I think for a barn they made the rim locks larger and they needed a longer key to reach the lock body through the thick door.

Back
Top Bottom