Where there's pull tabs there's...

local_coins

Elite Member
I am still relatively new to this hobby (1 year) so this may not be news to most of you. I know that where you find wheatie's there is silver, but how about comparing the area against something we find ALOT more of-pulltabs!

The rain makes us research odd things. I thought that I would try and put a date to some pull tabs I have found to see if I am hunting in the right areas to locate silver. It turns out that pull tabs were only made for about 10 years or so beginning in 1963. This obviously makes almost any area that is full of those pull tabs a potential area to turn up silver coins.

Again, this is probably old news but mabey I can help another rookie put a better "date" on their hunting grounds. Happy Hunting :grin:

I have a couple of links that have some more info if you are interested.

http://www.bcca.com/history/overview4.php

http://www.rustycans.com/zips.html

Found my fist pop tops and pull tabs yesterday. Also got a couple of nickles for the time. :grin: I'm new at the MDting so I am digging everything. I need to figure out the pinpointing on the ace 250. Seems like I'm digging some huge hole to find stuff but because I live next to the park and it's a sand beach they are easy to fill back in.

Experienced tip to the first 2 posters = I started digging 26 years ago and dug most everything I heard.
As the years went by I dug less sounds because they didn't sound right. Or whatever I was thinking.
About 4 years ago I started digging more and more signals. This included lots of pull tabs , foil, etc. Since I started this my solid gold finds have skyrocketed. I now dig 20 to 30 pieces of gold jewelry per year where before I was getting about 4-6.
So maybe dont wait as long to dig it all as I did ! Steve in so az

I find a lot of 1965 quarters in a school yard but no 64 quarters. In my area people were already saving and buying silver before 64. There were illegal refineries melting silver coins in Illinois. The way I found what was said in the link the tabs could have been but there in 1973, 1963+10 years. Good luck Rob

I used to pass up a tab signal. Now I dig anything that is not iron. And it has paid off for me too. Sometimes you just never know what will be in the hole you just dug. :shock: So I would say, dig it even if you really know its foil or a pulltab. Could be a nice gold ring waiting for you.

That's interesting about the pull tabs ..as many as I've dug , figured they appeared about the same time fire was discovered...as for digging everything , I nearly passed up a diamond ring after spending 6 hours in the blazzing sun digging up junk and 8 cents the day before...hadn't been out in the yard 5 minutes that Sunday morning when I got a signal that sounded like an axe head 2 inches down..decided to dig one more piece of junk, stuck the knife in, and pulled it out with the ring wedged on the blade....99.9 percent of the time ,if it sounds like junk, it's junk...but you never know.. Roadrunner_426 White's Coinmaster, Garrett Ace 250 1912 Barber dime, 1898 I.H., Civil War cannonball, Diamond ring ' There's so much doo in the world , that you can't help but step in some of it at some time . " Author Unknown

It is hard to tell from tabs whether its a ripe spot or not. I have found one good find, a gold womens bracelet, thought it was sterling, but turned out to be white gold, real sharp,along a sidewalk . but that was into my first month or so, since then nothing much. If you think of where people have congregated or do get together , your sure to find something with persistence. smg

Back
Top Bottom