29 cents richer...grass is yucky

Korban

Well got my minelab xterra 30 today in the mail (thanks tony) and went out to play in the dirt. I found all clad ( one quarter the rest pennys) a bullet, a pull tab, a metal lid and a whole hell of a lot of old sprinkler heads, not in use anymore. I dug here at the university. Coins were pretty corroded, its really dry here, however they water like a monsoon in the summer.

Grass is hard to dig in, like 2 inches thick and then hard soil. any suggestions? Oh i do feel a bit dorky out there, im prolly one of about 5 others that metal detect, and i have never seen the others.

This is so fun.

That's 29 cents more than I've come up with the last couple of times out....as for digging in tough grass, the thing I do is lean my weight into the spade on the initial cut and get it in as deep as possible on the first thrust ; might want to brace the area just below the grip with your other hand to guard against bending...I've got a dirt driveway at a house I'm working now that I think I'll need a pick ax for...hope your's isn't quite that bad . Roadrunner_426

hey thanks for the response and the info. Im searching in an area were theres probably alot of change lying around, on a campus. I dont care if i find anything worth anything, im so excited just to be out hunting :grin:

Get yourself a good quality digging tool, and make sure it's sharp. Wiggle the blade side to side and it will cut into hard soil. Make your cuts soto allow to lift out a plug.

Didn't you get a sabre tooth digger with your order? I'm not familiar with what that is, but it sure has a satisfatory sounding name. :grin:

i did get a digging tool with my order. Its working great. It does feel a little funny to be digging into a nice lawn....but hey i know the grounds crew pretty well so it kool, still feels weird. I feel like a little kid.....thinking digging holes is bad :lol:

Back
Top Bottom