Penny vs Cent

Dean Gretsch

Hi all. Got out today for a few hours and enjoyed the great weather we've been having lately. Went to a park this morning and found a little clad. Went to a grass parking lot for a local high school football field and swung for maybe 15 minutes when 2 guys showed up to mow. Sooooo......I decided to hit another park I saw on Google Earth and of course it had on street parking only and the street was full! It wasn't looking good when I remembered passing an old elementary school that had very wide grass easements between the curb and sidewalk. Was there maybe 10 minutes and got a nice tone that jumped from quarter to half very close to where they had just installed those new yellow wheelchair stops in the walk. Out popped this monster. Now I see why proper numismatists pitch such a fit when we noobs call a "cent" a "penny". This is a 1905 English Penny. I threw in the IH for scale. Thanks for looking and overlooking my ramblings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 357
Very Nice find!
Gotta love it when the construction equipment does the digging for you.
BTW, I use cent and penny interchangeably:D
one red cent, penny for your thoughts...

I know that cent means 1/100 of a dollar. Penny? Haven't looked it up yet, but I think it has to do with a weight?

The penny of the Kingdom of Great Britain and later of the United Kingdom, was in circulation from the early 18th century until 15 February 1971, Decimal Day.

Twelve pence (pennies) made one shilling, a shilling was 1⁄20 of a pound, and a penny was 1⁄240 of a pound. To express an amount, "penny" was abbreviated to "d," from the first letter of the Roman term denarius.

I found this info on Wikipedia. It's the first one I had seen and didn't know what it was. My gf is originally from Sheffield, England so I was very happy to make this find.

Back
Top Bottom