New to treasure hunting

Slong1958

Hey guys I'm new to the site and treasure hunting. I borrowed a white mxt pro to look for my moms long lost ring but didn't have any luck finding it but I think I may be hooked on treasure hunting. I'm looking for some advise on what brand and model detector to get. My cousin said he paid around 800.00 for the white but I'm not wanting to spent that much. I need something that's easy to use and that is also good. I've been looking at the bounty Hunter quick silver and the garrett 250. The bounty hunter is on sale now for 99.00 reg 200.00. All info will be appreciated. Another question would be wheres a good place to purchase a detector.

Welcome aboard. I started with the BHQS and used it for about 6 months and although like most other machines it will find stuff if you get your coil over it, it left me wanting more in a hurry, the 250 gets decent reviews and alot of people seem to really like the F2 as a good entry level machine. If you don't need a display the Comadre is great machine as well. As for where to buy, click on the sponsors link on the top right of the page. I dealt with a few of them and never heard any complaints about any of them. They know their stuff and are happy to answer any questions you ask them.

Well,
How much in your budget.

I say this because the elcheapo detectors--- you might find not up to par performance wise.

I encourage you if your budget will allow to try and spend at least a few hundred.

Like you said--- you may be hooked indeed.

I recommend you pony up.

And IMO you get far more detector cheaper by buying used.

Welcome from the Garden State.
Why start small if your prob gonna look to upgrade after a little while. Not sayin you need to go top of the line, but midrange. Contact a sponsor here and tell him what your looking for. They'll set you straight.

Well first off, will you be hunting only on land, water or a combination of water and land?
What do you want to hunt? Coins and jewelry, relics?
What is your budget?

Contact anyone of the sponsors on this forum and they will guide you in the right direction:yes:

I live in Tennessee on family land and don't plan on traveling to far look for stuff. We do go to the beach occasionally and would most likely take a detector to the beach. As far as price I'd like to say around 300.00. The old home place which dates back 150 to 200 yrs is where it all started is still standing on the land. I found a lot of stuff around the house all iron with the white detector before giving it back. I'd like to find more than just iron and I know I'll have to learn how to use what every unit I purchase . I never new it was so many detectors out there and it was going to be this hard picking a unit. Guys I really appreciate all the info.
This was about 2 hrs of looking.

f046d820de3e01c7360dccf77248031e_zpslhxg5tyo.jpg

Thats actually quite a nice showing there! Axe heads, horse shoes, all the signs are right for you...might be a jar full of silver buried on that farm...read some posts about hunting for caches... in the old days, people buried jars full of coins in certain obvious areas on farms...
Mud

@Slong, I have neither of these so I can't comment, but don't forget to check with our sponsors. They are great to work with and have really great prices (so good they can't advertise them), it would behoove you to send them an inquiry. Perhaps with the savings and perhaps finding a trade in you can step up to a higher machine. Good luck!

I couldn't find a bonafide current list of sponsors, but here is the list of sponsor deals:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Some sponsors respond quickly to a PM sent from here on FMDF but your best bet is to call them, which most have the info as their signature. Don't be afraid to call around, and all I have dealt with have been very friendly and helpful (and patient!!!) If you tell them what you are wanting to do, they will steer you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Scroll all the way to the top of this page. Yes there is an ad but under it on the very top of this page in a link it says list of all sponsors. Click it.
Do yourself a favor and look into a Euro tek pro with the DD coil package. Its in your budget. A lot if us had B Hunters and you'll quickly want an upgrade. The fisher f2 will also keep you busy finding good targets. The sponsors are the best way to go, period! I get nothing for saying this. The support you get is worth it alone. keep in mind though the f2 or Euro tek Pro although good choices are beginner priced detectors. 99.00 or even 199.00 are machines we give to our kids or like me the 10 yr old nephew. 350.00 rock bottom. You'll need another 100 for a pinpointer, a must and cheaper than 100 I've heard are not worth even trying. Good pouch and pro type hand digger. This is another reason you need to use the sponsors- package deals on these extras come with detector purchase. Believe it you'll want a good pinpointer at least. Diggers, you can get by with certain Home Depot products. Nail apron for pouch works too.

Thanks guys I'll be making some calls tomorrow. The eurotek pro looks pretty straight forward, I also like the BH ranger pro but it looks can of complicated. Again thanks everyone from your help.

Well I talked to a guy at kellys co, after our talk he suggested the fisher 44 or the Teketics Eurotek pro. Man this is hard just picking a detector.

I sugest

You listen to TNSS , because he knows what works best in your soil their, I would bypass the cheap detectors and get at least a mid grade machine, Earl

Back
Top Bottom