Thinking back...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Stuck in the house today because of rain, that's ok because we need it.

As I sit here and ponder life I started to think about all the great musical talent we have lost recently, and many that we have lost in the past.
Among these giants was another man, one whose singular accomplishment might not have been on the same level as many but who's effort surly had a lasting impression on everyone that was ever a kid.
That man was Larry LaPrise and he wrote the lyrics and tune to the immortal song "Do The Hokey Pokey" way back in the early 40's.

He passed from this earth on April 4th 1996 at the age of 93.

If you were a kid, went to camp or ever attended a wedding you know his work.

The best legacy he left behind was not his song or any of our fun memories dancing to it but his memorium.
It was fitting and he will be missed.

*********************In Memoriam********************

With all the sadness and trauma going on in the world at the moment, it is worth reflecting on the death of a very important person, which almost went unnoticed last week.
Larry LaPrise, the man who wrote "The Hokey Pokey", died peacefully at age 93.
The most traumatic part for his family was getting him into the coffin.
They put his left leg in...and then the trouble started.

Oh my word.... I was introduced to the Hokey Pokey in the mid 1980s up in Minnesota while there working, those folks were wild over it. May his soul rest in peace.

But I have to say that memorial just about made me spit out my coffee... :toofunny:

I grew up in Baltimore and that song reminded me about hearing it on a kid's show back then, actually found a video about old kid's shows from Baltimore and made this excerpt from it where it showed part of that song :lol:

Back
Top Bottom