Is it worth the investment on earphones or no?

BufordCityDawg

Elite Member
I've got a BH 2200. I'm wondering if I need earphones or will I even get subtle tones on this thing? Thanks for your input.

BCD

When I started this crazy Sport 5yrs ago, I got a cheap pair of freebies the dealer threw in to sweeten the pot...so I wore them slap out and found some stuff, then I got another pair of freebies and wore those out too. Then this year I finally got a set of GG NDT's, and the difference is remarkable! Tones, comfort, quality etc...

This subject often comes up and makes for good Wintertime chatter, the old guys will pipe up and tell you to definitely get some good ones right off the bat, I would now agree...Saying all this, as we get older and our hearing degrades, you sure do need a good set you can balance the tones with between your ears...comfortable, etc...

Seems the 'quietest time' to hunt is in the early hours, as the day goes on, theres a whole lot of white noise emitted by the Planet, so a good set of phones will help you immensely if you are hunting during the latter part of the day...

This is an 'Audio' based form of hunting, and you cant find what you cant hear, nice and crisp, so yes, good phones will pay for themselves in the long run. phones.jpg

Mud

@BCD, I will chime in and say I absolutely freakin' HATE using headphones while detecting. I can't hear what's going on in my surroundings (usually trying to keep track of my dog), they constantly slip down off my melon everytime I go to dig or bend over, they get tangled up in my glasses.... ARRGH! I hate the d@mn things. HOWEVER, I wouldn't think of detecting without them. Seriously. My hearings not the best (one ear is kaput) and I rehunted areas with the headphones on and picked up really light, faint high-tones, one of which was a silver Washington quarter that was deep AND I had gone over twice with no headphones. In fact, my wife wanted to know what I wanted to Christmas, and I said "A new pair of good headphones". (I still hate using them)

I use one earbud only. Cut the other off. I run an inline volume control. Like being able to have one ear tuned for situational awareness.

The battery savings alone will pay for the headphones. I use the Ace (El Kabong!):laughing: all the time and simply wear el cheapo Koss headphones from Chinatown (Walmart):wow::D in FRONT of my ears:lol:. I can easily hear all signals:cool: AND any visitors!:roll: Also, I got an mx5 6 months ago and the batteries are just now down to half!:wow:

I always hated wearing H phones, buds or anything. But with the nuances of my audio I get with the multi tones settings on the 705 I wouldn't hunt without them. I've been using Clear sounds easy stow wired phones from Garrett. They work fine, small n light but wire is my enemy!!! I have TDK WR700 wireless in the box still since Xmas. Hate the fweggin wire so much I've kicked my old phones into the bush after again,,, I set the detector down and take a couple steps and my big dumb head gets snapped back pulling the hat off with the H phones and into the mud!!! Or I jerk up the mini Sampon off my side like its my Colt Frontiersman and drop to one knee and the wires all tangled in the Sampson. God I hate em too but I ID trash vs goodie usually spot on with the multi sounds and DD coils. Wiggle and pull off the edge of detection field in multi and trash will sound like you just stepped on a whopping crane at nest! Near foolproof ID.

I'm thinking the 2200 doesn't offer low volume tones. I hooked up a headset but I got the same tones at the same object depths as without them. I didn't get anything faint at all.

BCD

Ive tried head phones but never could get used to them cause when i dig they keep me attached to the detector and seem to get in the way.i usually go where I,am alone (old farm houses etc.) anyway its really up to you to invest in a set or not,personally for me they are always in the way.

Most of the lower to mid level detectors have what atleast Garrett calls " binary audio" ( not sure if thats a standard term or just a Garrett term ). You dont get the " whisper signals " , the detector will either beep or not beep , same volume with nothing in between. I dont know for sure if your detector is that way but I suspect that it is. If that is the case you dont really get an advantage with higher priced or specialty phones , any phones work fine.Though if you have excessive hearing loss or want to block out wind and other ambient noise then paying a few extra dollars for decent phones could be a good idea.

If you hunt where there is noise, headphones are a must. Plus if you saw the beach hunters who listen for subtle whispers everyone else is missing you really see the importance. Ocean where I live is so noisy if you wear cheap headphones you can't hear half of what is going on. Plus wearing headphones in the field protects your ears from skin cancer from the sun. Rattlesnake could bite you with or without headphones. If a bear comes after you you can throw the headphones first. Then the detector. Then your dirty underwear:laughing:

Now I'm not going to blow smoke ups you no where,,,

But a speaker on a metal detector most times just doesn't convey the same tone vs headphones.

And having the ambient noise tuned out helps too.

And it goes without saying--- not all headphones are created equal either.

You usually get what you pay for.
There are a few exceptions to this though.

Folks purchasing headphones,

Some headphones are not compatible with some model detectors.

So when you are buying tell the seller what detector you plan on using them with.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom