BH 2200 Advice Needed

BufordCityDawg

Elite Member
I'm about 8 hrs into this new hobby and am having fun so far. The 2200 is good at what it is good at, meaning when I find a dime, it shows on the detector as a dime. When I find a tab, it showed as a tab. What is driving me nuts right now is aluminum is showing up as a dime and any old pig iron/slag metal/pot metal, shows up at 25-50-1.00. I can eliminate some of the aluminum by coming at the signal from several directions to see if it is very large or a pinpoint area. Pieces of aluminum I can't do that. Any suggestions on filtering out these false hits or am I limited because of my low end detector?

BCD

No, your doing just fine...thats common and normal with any rig!..Some scrap aluminum and what not will sound exactly like a coin...sure theres some tricks you will learn to try to determine whats under the coil, but this takes a lot of time and concentration..probably best to just keep digging all hits and try to remember what you are learning...after a while, a guy can go out and pick nothing but coins, but this takes 1000's of targets and some concentration...Try not to look at the screen too much, I know its hard, but try to use your ears more than your eyes...your ears and brain are a lot faster and more reliable than your eyes..you should be able to do this blind.

I 'hop' my coil of top of a target...this weeds out all the scrap...pretty much..a coin will stay tight and strong during the hop...unless its a multidenom stack, and those take an attuned ear to the target profile signature that only comes with practice! Good on ya Man! These learning days will get you some of the best finds you will ever have!...just keep digging!
Mud

and any old pig iron/slag metal/pot metal, shows up at 25-50-1.00. ?

BCD

On my different brand detector, Potmetal will hit high, but sometimes the sound is not the same sharpness or might even jump on the ID.

On the big iron, try finding the center of the target with pinpoint feature if you have that, then do short sweeps over just the middle, to see if the target ID might jump lower?

Let's say you get a good beep in a certain spot, but then you pinpoint, and the center is not where you got the clear beep; that hints of big iron

also if it's bigger iron, try lifting the coil a bit higher and sweep, to see if the ID now hints of a lower ID?

I agree that "certain" shapes of aluminum can pieces will ID as coin, but many other times, the quality of the sound is not as perfect on my brand

Back
Top Bottom