Absolutely MIND BOGGLING

Crumpinator

Some back story/information on this before i begin... My current house was built around the 1940’s, and happens to be the first house built on our street. Before the street was actually ‘built’ per say, there was a small shed in our front yard that i have a record of going back to around 1830’s(earliest map i could find with documentation). So today I was bored at home and decided to re search around my backyard... I get to an area that I hadn’t searched well before because there is septic tank nearby that I didn’t want to disrupt :laughing:. So I get a 27-28 signal on the equinox at like 1-2 inches deep. I’m thinking “hmm that’s probably just a modern quarter or some weird trash, let’s dig it, I haven’t found anything yet anyways”. I pull the very small plug (max 2 inches deep) and it has been extremely dry here for the past week or more. All the dirt crumbles around the plug revealing a silverish coin. “Oh boy a quarter, yay me!” Man was I in for a surprise... I grab out the coin and see a few letters- HISP•ET IND•R and a small date on the reverse side in the coolest font I’ve ever seen on a coin :shock:... 1756. OMG. I drop everything go back inside and lightly drip some water on it to remove some dirt (remember it is extremely dry and dusty so this just comes right off without rubbing at all). After looking closer and researching online, it is a 1756 Spanish 2 reales coin! How on earth is there a Spanish coin (minted in Mexico City) from 1756 in my yard when the house was built in the 40’s?!?!? This is by far the greatest find of my life!

Attachments

• 9AE27CB9-D497-4B17-933E-AF8BA1EA5C3D.jpeg
    9AE27CB9-D497-4B17-933E-AF8BA1EA5C3D.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 2,017
  • 19E879FE-740B-4D2D-8C04-8AD5F1CE181B.jpeg
    19E879FE-740B-4D2D-8C04-8AD5F1CE181B.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,869
Very nice. Could be that somebody was walking across that land 200 years ago and dropped it. Or, it could have been dropped 50 years ago. You'll likely never know. Either way....congrats!

Odds are if your place was worth living at in the 40’s it was worth living at in the 1800’s. I found an 1808 french quarter behind my well house. But I did have California Gold Rush activity and a lot of square nails in the area. Any signs of an old structure there? Square nails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no residual structures or anything from previous buildings. Also, my parents told me when the house was built they leveled the ground and took away dirt, so either it was circulated from lower down during that process or was just there the whole time. I just think its crazy that such an old coin was only 1-2 inches deep in the ground, and that it is in such good condition to boot!

There is no residual structures or anything from previous buildings. Also, my parents told me when the house was built they leveled the ground and took away dirt, so either it was circulated from lower down during that process or was just there the whole time. I just think its crazy that such an old coin was only 1-2 inches deep in the ground, and that it is in such good condition to boot!

Love it! You just never know until you look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on an outstanding find that would make any detectorist jealous! You just never know what’s in the dirt in any given area. I’ve detected 1700s houses and found silver Rosie’s and a house built in 2006 that turned up a large cent.:lol:

:dingding: An old Spanish silver is definitely on the top of my bucket list whether its from the dirt or the beach. MAJOR CONGRATS! :wow:

"How on earth is there a Spanish coin (minted in Mexico City) from 1756 in my yard when the house was built in the 40’s?!?!? This is by far the greatest find of my life!"

Either something was there before the house such as a farm, or someone was walking or riding through there in the past when it was the woods, tough to tell.

That being said, I've found KG coppers in 1940's yards before. I've also found KG coppers in a 1950's park. So you just never know what land was 100,200, or even 300 years ago.

That's what makes this hobby so fun!

Wow. Amazing find. Maybe fill was brought in for your yard a long tome ago. You'll never know.

Just curious , but isn't that one of the more common coins to fake ? It's in really great condition. The edge/rim will say alot.

The 1-2 inches deep gives another possibility. Ask if your parents had sod put in, or topsoil from another location. Sometimes stuff gets brought in from sod farms. I've found pocket watch parts that way, in new subdivisions where there wasn't any activity.

Skippy

Awesome find! That is a beautiful coin!
Everyone is out detecting their back yard now [emoji1]

Back
Top Bottom