Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 10-09-2019, 07:06 AM

Default Best Detector?

Hi all,
What is the best detector you have ever had? This information is going to help me to buy my first detector. Help needed. Thanks.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:17 AM

Equinox 600. I'd look at the new simplex though it seems rather good

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:23 AM
Elite Member

Dont buy what works best for everyone else, buy what works for YOU ! What kind of hunting do you plan on doing? Parks, ballfields, ocean, the white house? no such thing as a best detector, each has there own strengths. Its like going into the tool shed and asking which screwdriver works best? welcome to the forum, and enjoy!

☆Oldest Coin FTY:1722 Woods Hibernia☆

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:31 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by ukaradag View post
Hi all,
What is the best detector you have ever had? This information is going to help me to buy my first detector. Help needed. Thanks.
You first have to figure out if the hobby is for you. Buy something relatively inexpensive new or used from a name brand. Budget for a pinpointer and a good digging tool. If you're just popping shallow coins in a park you might not need a pinpointer or any tool other than a screwdriver. But, the pinpointer and name brand used detector should hold much of its value if you decide not to stick witih the hobby.

Once you have your detector, search online for the best settings for the kind of detecting you want to do. Or, if the detector has default modes for type of hunting, then stick with those. Go dig 500-1000 targets.

After that experience you'll know if you want to stick around, and you'll know better than us what it is you want in a detector. Or, you'll be able to ask more specific questions.

Last edited by ToySoldier; 10-09-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:43 AM

Hi, I am going to work on fields( dry areas). The depth is important for me. The area may contain minerals such as chromium. And I want also iron separation. Thanks.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:15 AM
Elite Member

I am mainly a coin shooter. There are many good detectors but I am doing well with my Equinox 800.
I also like my Garrett At pro.
My Sovereign Elite works well in saltwater.
My beep and dig Tesoro compadre works well.
So does my Ace 250
Had a Fisher f70 that was versatile and sparky but couldn't jell with it.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:17 AM
Elite Member

Depends whatcha gonna use it for.
Relic hunting
Beach hunts
Water hunts

Old 10-09-2019, 11:30 AM
Elite Member

Field hunting I would buy a tesoro vaquero, cheapest and deepest for the price, and light..i mean you really don't need much else for fields

Old 10-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Elite Member

Unhappy Woody

Only one problem , they are now out of bussiness, if i were you , i wouldn't recommend a Tesoro to anyone now, the problem is no warrenty and no one to do repair's , this manufacturer might of had good machine's in it's day , but now gone , plain and simple. Simple formula for me, when a manufacturer goes out of business, or sells his business , use causion , or i stop buying , otherwise it open's the door's for

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Surf Pi DF, Scuba Tector, XP Deus WS5, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 4- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10, Sovereign Gt

Old 10-09-2019, 12:20 PM
Elite Member

depending on budget, fisher f5 or f70 may be the way to go. they are super light and great separation.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:01 PM
Supporter

One of my best/favorites is still the xterra 705. Simple but adjustable and versatile. Deep in my soil with the 3khz coil. IDs deep target well, great tones.

Also as Woodbutcher suggested the vaquero. For the price, great performance and reliability of the vaquero I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of warranty.

And as Skwrly suggested the f70/patriot is great too.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:37 AM
Elite Member

I can not point out my "best detector". Each detector has/had it's specific qualities. For modern coins you need other specifications then for roman or celtic, and for militaria you need again others.
Even my "worst" detector (chinese cheap hardly transcend kid-detector level) did "best" on the job for which i bought it. Better then my "best" detector.

I've hunted next to all the detectors known as "best" and i never found less.
To me "best detector" doesn't exist.

Last edited by beest; 10-10-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:13 AM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Originally Posted by ukaradag View post
Hi, I am going to work on fields( dry areas). The depth is important for me. The area may contain minerals such as chromium. And I want also iron separation. Thanks.
Love my Nox but I have found way more with my F70 pretty much because I used it way longer.
The Patriot is the same thing but at half the price.
A high end detector with tons of features at a low, midrange price.
Light, fast, superior iron separation compared to many and in the right dirt shockingly deep.
In the decent soil out in Kansas and Missouri I was able to hit the 10-14" depth range easily on coin sized targets.

Sincerely, the opportunist."

Old 10-13-2019, 01:16 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by ToySoldier View post
You first have to figure out if the hobby is for you. Buy something relatively inexpensive new or used from a name brand. Budget for a pinpointer and a good digging tool. If you're just popping shallow coins in a park you might not need a pinpointer or any tool other than a screwdriver. But, the pinpointer and name brand used detector should hold much of its value if you decide not to stick witih the hobby.

Once you have your detector, search online for the best settings for the kind of detecting you want to do. Or, if the detector has default modes for type of hunting, then stick with those. Go dig 500-1000 targets.

After that experience you'll know if you want to stick around, and you'll know better than us what it is you want in a detector. Or, you'll be able to ask more specific questions.
agree with this post. buy an used but good basic detector like Ace 400 or AT pro or similar priced detectors from any major detector manufacture. Buy from a sponsor on this forum or eBay. Either way, you will most likely get a good used detector with recourse if it arrives not as described.

Get experience, find out what type of detecting you like. If you live within an hour from an ocean beach that will make you want a good water proof beach detector. Remember these basic detectors I mentioned above retain their used value pretty good. I sold my AT Pro within a week on eBay.

Jumping into a high end detector can be expensive and frustrating unless you know what you are doing.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:01 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by MuddyMo View post
One of my best/favorites is still the xterra 705. Simple but adjustable and versatile. Deep in my soil with the 3khz coil. IDs deep target well, great tones.

Also as Woodbutcher suggested the vaquero. For the price, great performance and reliability of the vaquero I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of warranty.

And as Skwrly suggested the f70/patriot is great too.
agree with you muddy on the tesoros...tough ass little detector, with a bullitt proof reputation.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:02 AM
Elite Member

Minelabs (xterra?) are known as heavy. Tesorro's as lightweight.
Minelabs are known for their slow recovery. Tesorro's are known as sharp, and fierce on small objects from mediaval ages and older.
Minelabs are known as very good, as Tesoro's also are.
But you don't need a minelab for modern coins and relics, were f.i. an Ace will do as well or perhaps even better and cheaper.
Which is best??

Again, it's a personal choice about personal preferences. What do you want to find.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:01 AM
Supporter

The Minelab Xterra models are not heavy or slow like the Explorers. They slow down when using alot of disc but its not necessary as the number of tones and the pleasant sounds of the tones. A new 305 can be had for around $250 and is far superior to an ace in my opinion. I agree it's a personal choice about personal preferences and he's asked for opinions...