Michigan lake/river detecting.

MargeShrimpson

Forum Supporter
I will probably be doing most my detecting in southern Michigan rivers and inland lakes. A lot of lakes seem to be very murky and I was wondering if anybody has experience in these kind of circumstances. Also, I saw a few guys on youtube with long sleeve shirts and pants. Where can I find water pants and shirts? Amazon just directs me to swim trunks.

Lots of things to consider when hunting Michigan lakes and rivers, Current, bottom consistency, temperature, and of course clarity. In the summer a thin wetsuit with booties is ideal if you are wading. Now, waders are probably the only thing to use. Either way a long handled scoop is used and knowing where your coil is and where to put your scoop is an art to learn by trial and error.

When I get a beep I put my toe right where the coil is when it beeps. Then scoop right in front of my toe. That is when I wade which is almost never anymore. No need for long pants or shirt.

I live in west Michigan and strictly water hunt lake Michigan and inland lakes. Most of the lakes aren't murky around here

I live in west Michigan and strictly water hunt lake Michigan and inland lakes. Most of the lakes aren't murky around here

The inland lakes have very little sand in spots folks swim and used to swim. Lots of coins and rings found deep in the muck. Sure you can hunt the beaches. BUT, you can also find gold and silver in muck where people just cooled off and couldn't afford to find a beach.

there’s no gold in lower mi lakes.
Irons dug all of it!

aawhistle.gif

I will probably be doing most my detecting in southern Michigan rivers and inland lakes. A lot of lakes seem to be very murky and I was wondering if anybody has experience in these kind of circumstances. Also, I saw a few guys on youtube with long sleeve shirts and pants. Where can I find water pants and shirts? Amazon just directs me to swim trunks.

MI is great for water hunting. Far less competition than FL and the fresh water preserves relics. I'd begin by practicing in still water with no current. Even knee deep, just so you can learn how to pinpoint and retrieve the target with your scoop. Once you are good enough to do it blindfolded, move on to deeper water or water with waves/currents.

If hunting in waves/currents, careful of wearing waders, as they can fill up and create a drowning hazard.

Wetsuits are available in sizes from fluffy, to huge, to dauuuum! They may be awkward but probably your only solution to hunting in less than desirable temps.

Speaking of temps, if you start hunting year round, you might consider something to keep your detector warm. Depending on the model, freezing temps can impact battery life, the display, and even processor speed.

When the weather breaks, I still suggest you continue wearing foot protection. Fishing hooks, tent takes, broken glass bottles, etc.... are all laying at the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom