Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 10-09-2019, 11:53 AM

Default V3i 5.3 vs. 4x6 coil and specific hunting

Currently I have the Whiteís 6x10. Iím looking to find a coil with the smallest profile for hunting uprooted trees in civil war era, areas. Iím looking specifically for ammunition. And in the past Iíve had success with larger coils but at times they can be cumbersome.
Iíve read a few post on the two, afore-mentioned heads but the general conversation centers on EMI and trashy areas. I donít have a problem with EMI and considering the surface areas Iím detecting are small I have little care about digging trash: even the largest trees Iím checking are at most 10í across. Would like to hear some thoughts from others.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:53 PM

I had both coils. The 5.3 went a bit deeper. The 4X6 had better separation in the iron and you could get it into tighter spaces. I am thinking the 4x6 is slightly lighter but likely won't make much of a difference. Even with those small coils "horizontal" detecting will wear your arm out pretty quickly.

Tags
ammo, coils, rootballs, shooters